1994 950 emmisions failure! - gasspringmaker
Help me please!!!
I have just put my 106 in for mot and it failed miserabley on the emmisions.
The chap at the garage say's it could be the lambada sensor but does not wan't to pin point it to that as it smokes a bit (when warm) after it has been ticking over for a while.
so he said it might be worth doing the valve stem seals aswell.
Is this a job that can be done without taking the head off? , like some of the fords.
Or does it all have to come out?
Thanks for looking
STUART.

{correct year found via a forum search}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/08/2009 at 21:12

19 950 emmisions failure! - Peter.N.
I doubt that valve seals would cause it to fail the emmissions test, unless it was left ticking over for a long time before it was tested, they will make it smoke of course.

It may be possible to change the valve seals without taking the head off but it wouldn't be easy, you have to prevent the valves dropping into the engine and remove the collets at the same time.
19 950 emmisions failure! - gasspringmaker
yeah i thought it might have to been done the long way!
just costed it up and you are looking at about £190 for the bits before you start to do the job!!!
Just wondering if it is worth it!
19 950 emmisions failure! - jc2
Valve stem seals normally only cause problems on cold engines;they soften and seal when hot!!
19 950 emmisions failure! - Wurzel83
I had an advisory notice once that my petrol car was smoking a bit but it still passed the emissions test. On this occasion it was due to blocked breathers and the efffects were worse upon leaving it tick over.

I presume your priority now is to pass the MOT so maybe investigate the Lambdar sensor, get it through the test, see how it goes and then investigate the smoke afterwards.
19 950 emmisions failure! - mark999
If you post the emissions results from the readout that may help point to the problem. Also bact to basics has the car been regularly serviced and is the air filter clean.

Mark
Hi mark.
Didn't get an emmissions result, he tried to do the emmisions but the levels were just way to high.
1st he said it could be the lamba sensor, but as the test went on it started smoking more .
So he couldn't say it was that entirely due to the amount of smoke it was chucking out, wich pointed to the stem seals.
Because the car will smoke on startup then once it is warm and you sit at a junction for a while it will puff out more when you pull away.

STUART
19 950 emmisions failure! - davecuk
You don't mention the mileage, but I am guessing it's high. I suspect not only the valve guide seals but the guides themselves will be worn. If it smokes all the time not just under deceleration in gear, then acceleration (where the valve guides will suck the oil in), then it's also likely to have worn rings..Take off the oil filler cap on the rocker box cover and you may find it blowing a bit of smoke there as well?

At the age and likely value of your car, plus the problems you will probably continue to get....seriously consider the big breaker in the sky.
Sorry, the car has done 104.000 miles.
But have not noticed it smoking in normal driving , but thats not to say it is!.
For the amount of work involved and the cost just don't know if it is worth it.
STUART
19 950 emmisions failure! - Simon
Does it use much oil?
Yeah, i do have to keep an eye on it, but i put it down to the rockercover gasket leaking.
Was going to get the mot out of the way and have a look.