Which smallish 'proper' auto for driving school? - gordonbennet
A young family friend's driving school is coming along nicely, and the young woman in question would like to purchase a smallish automatic to expand her business.

She would like a proper auto, which i think is good sense but open to other thoughts.

She likes the look of Hyundai i20 (though Hyundai's website says the infamous warranty doesn't apply to commercial use!!) but i don't know if it's proper auto.

She's going to try the Suzuki Swift which we know is a nice box, and possibly a Sirion.

Any other suggestions for similar auto's, is the i20 a normal auto?

Any smallish Diesel auto's, i can't think of any apart from Astra (?) and the indicators alone rule that out, and i'm none too sure about very modern Diesel with all that slow work anyway.

This will be a purchase, not leasing, so a reliable long termer is important.

Thoughts please?
Which smallish 'proper' auto for driving school? - stunorthants26
Sounds like you pretty much have the list there already. When we were looking for a proper small auto, what we discovered is that unless you want to spend £12k on a small car ( which we didnt ), then there are few options.
The Suzuki Splash also comes as a proper auto so I wonder if the Agila does too?
Which smallish 'proper' auto for driving school? - Martin Devon
By 'proper' do you mean torque converter?

MD
By 'proper' do you mean torque converter?

Thats the plan at the moment MD.

edit, i think the Alto is the other baby Suzi with normal auto Stu as well as Splash.

Funnily enough the Matiz auto is a nice drive, but the car really is too tiny overall.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/08/2009 at 22:39

Which smallish 'proper' auto for driving school? - umistim
You should also take a look at the Mazda 3 which has a proper auto transmission although its not really small.
Which smallish 'proper' auto for driving school? - stunorthants26
I did think of the Alto but as you say, very small, mind you, how often does a driving school car have anyone other than teacher and pupil? The size really defines the need on this one. I had a look at the Splash and it is a rather nice little car, easily overlooked but unfairly so I think, it was just a tad pricey compared to the Sirion we bought, but we couldnt get a deal like we did back in December now, so the Splash is actually cheaper I think.
Which smallish 'proper' auto for driving school? - retgwte

Perodua MYVI
Daihatsu Sirion
Suzuki Swift

thats the shortlist i would say

Thanks for the replies so far chaps...does anyone know if the Hyundai i20 is normal auto, and another outsider the Kia Rio?

I know we could phone the dealers but would they tell you what they want you to hear hoping they could bamboozle one into buying, thats why i'm asking the unbamboozlable one's here..;)