Auto-Europe car rental - anyone used them? - jacks
I'm probably going to take a short (1 week) break- next month- flying in to Marseilles-Provence airport.
The usual renters are there (Hertz Avis Europcar Budget National etc ) but a quick search suggests that Auto-Europe are cheaper. It appears that they are an agent, and after booking you receive a voucher which will then tell you the actual rental company you will be renting from.

Has anyone any experience of this company?

I normally drive to the south of France but a one week break really requires taking a (cheap) flight both from time/cost perspective.

I also wanted to avoid the situation that I ran into last time I took a cheap flight (Santander) where I booked my car from the airline website and - of course - on arrival everybody else on the RyanAir flight had done the same and there were about 100 people all queuing at the desk with one person (slowly) processing each rental!

The airline I'm using this time has a tie-in on their website with Hertz.

J

Auto-Europe car rental - anyone used them? - Lou_O

Yep, I used them in 2007. Paid under £100 for 5 days hire of a Picasso diesel from Alicante.

I don't know if they still do it, but back then you could also get cashback via Quidco (see www.quidco.com )

No problem at all, short queue and the car was fine. Some friends who travelled with us used Hertz and got a rough Octavia with broken aircon (although they got a partial refund at the end of the hire).

Cheers,

Lou
Auto-Europe car rental - anyone used them? - loskie
Have used them in Italy, France and Spain cooked via CSMA website. Good prices ,usually get an upgrade(paid for cheapest car got Citroen C5 derv in France). You may be allocated a car from a company you have not heard of (I was given one from Record Rentacar in Majorca) but still no problems. Once reported to CSMA that no hi viz vest was in car and there was a constructive response from both CSMA and hirer.

Always been good for me.
You may be
allocated a car from a company you have not heard of >>

Ah! - I assumed it would be a car from one of the International brands with desks at the airport, so could it be that I'll have to have someone meet me at the airport with the keys/car, this might be a concern - mainly with the return, possibly waiting for someone to turn up and sign etc.

I would prefer to collect/return from someone who has a desk/presence actually at the airport so would that rule out Auto-Europe.

Next cheapest was National and Avis both around 210 euros for a Punto size car (one up from the smallest size ) - I though this was quite high, it's cheaper at Nice, but of course the flights are more expensive. You can never win can you!
Auto-Europe car rental - anyone used them? - loskie
In my experience there has always been a rental office at the airport maybe just one you have not heard of. Pick up/ drop off has never been a problem. Have rented in Naples, Pisa, Marseilles, Majorca, Beauvais and has always worked out OK.
Auto-Europe car rental - anyone used them? - Lou_O
In my experience there has always been a rental office at the airport maybe just
one you have not heard of.

Same for me, pick up was from a desk adjacent to Hertz, I don't think you need to worry about picking up keys, especially if you're flying into a big airport like Nice or Marseille.
OK- thanks to all for the advice - I'll give then a try

J
Auto-Europe car rental - anyone used them? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have just been researching a short term hire in Germany for October. I used all the usual price comparison sites and found the ***. carrentals.co.uk gave me a price of £72 for 3 days while others came up with with prices up to £98 for the same group car
Auto-Europe car rental - anyone used them? - concrete
Hello Jacks, I have used them before in France and Italy, no problems, good vehicles and the usual service. In Italy we actually picked our car up from Hertz, in France it was Auto Europe themselves and once Autohire 3000. No complaints. If you want to escape large collision damage waiver premiums take an annual policy with Insurance4cars. It covers all excesses on all hire policies everywhere. just take a copy of the policy with you when you pick up. £49.00 per year for me. I once paid £70 for 2 weeks Damage waiver cover in France. Have a nice trip. Concrete
Auto-Europe car rental - anyone used them? - jeroen
bad experience. they charge you for damage afterwards, if you do not take the extra insurance. more people have had problems like this.
i cannot suggest them.
good luck and nice week.
j
Auto-Europe car rental - anyone used them? - Nsar
Just used them in Croatia - all seems fine but too soon to say if there's anything in the post.
Auto-Europe car rental - anyone used them? - tyro
I've used them 3 times in the past 18 months. On one occasion (at Munich airport) got a Hertz vehicle; on the other two occasions (Nice and Belfast) got a Europcar vehicle.
Auto-Europe car rental - anyone used them? - Peter D
Beware of the insurance cover and the excess. Try Carhire3000.co.uk for fully comp no excess deals. No I do not work for them. Regards Peter
Auto-Europe car rental - anyone used them? - Nsar
I used to use them (carhire3000) until they quoted me an all inclusive price then I found when I picked up the car that there were compulsory local taxes not mentioned anywhere on the quote. The first mention of them in very general terms was on the booking confirmation.

I wrote to them and them and they simply ignored me.
Auto-Europe car rental - anyone used them? - wd 40
Jacks
I'm sure you've noticed the only negative post (no, not Peter D) in this thread has no real content in it, and has been posted by a total newcomer ?
I wonder who they work for ?

Edited by wd 40 on 31/08/2009 at 19:27