MOT "failure" - Chips with everything
I've entered BMW in the make field, but in truth it could be any model of car.

On Friday I took my car in to my usual MOT garage around the corner from work, only to receive a phone call at the end of the day saying that it had failed due to excessive wear on the front tyres.

This was something of a surprise, but it's possible as they've been on for around 20,000 miles. They quoted that the "lowest they could do budget ones for was £260 all in".

After I picked myself off the floor, largely from laughing (the previous set were around £160 (235/45/17 94Y) declined, collected my car and glanced at the tyres.

Once I got home, I was straight out with the tyre tread depth gauge and there's at least 3mm across all of both tyres.

Now I've managed to get another MOT today and it's passed with flying colours.

As side from them trying to rip me off for the "excessive" tyre prices, they've blatantly failed a car which should have passed.

Do I just go to VOSA and report them? Also any suggestions to getting my MOT fee back with minimal hassle would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Made vehicle non-specific

Edited by Pugugly on 17/08/2009 at 20:30

MOT "failure" - maz64
Do I just go to VOSA and report them?

Possibly - you could also see whether local Trading Standards are interested.

Regarding getting your money back, I would try taking car back to garage with MoT in hand, politely point out that tyres are well inside the limit (offer to show them), and asking for my money back. That gives them the option of apologising for the mistake - you might be lucky.
MOT "failure" - Lud
politely point out

the option of apologising for the mistake

You don't want their worthless apology. You want the money.

Go back with your MoT and their worthless failure paper, tell them they are snivelling crooks and you will never patronise their toilet of a garage again, and tell them to give you the money. If they don't, report them to VOSA and the police immediately. But I don't think you will have to.

Damn carphounds.
MOT "failure" - maz64
Go back with your MoT and their worthless failure paper tell them they are snivelling
etc.

I'd love to be able to get worked up enough to act like that, but it ain't gonna happen. If the OP can, good luck to him.
MOT "failure" - bathtub tom
www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/D...3

I think I would have asked for the appeal form before removing the car from the garage. The problem now is you could be accused of changing the wheels.

Certainly contact VOSA.
MOT "failure" - Simon
Contact your local VOSA office and report your experience to them. Dodgy operators such as this garage need a good kick up the backside.
MOT "failure" - Rattle
A lesson is always check your tyres and basic things before you go in. I did a good proper check on my dads car before it went in, I knew the only thing it would fail on is the bushes but he passed it with an advisory. We are getting the bushes done this week though as they are worn to almost none existance.

But if you knew your tyres before you went in you could have argued there and then. Clearly the MOT garage was after a quick buck.
MOT "failure" - Bill Payer
The trouble with much of the MOT is that it's largely a matter of the testers opinion.

Did they say in what way the tyres were worn? I had a company lease car fail its MOT at 3yrs (we had to get them MOT'd before they went back) due to a worn tyre. When I collected it the service manager couldn't see what was wrong so he got the MOT tester and he pointed out that every alternate block of tread was chamfered and the the chamfered edge was, in his opinion less, than 1.6mm. I challenged this, and the tester stormed off!
Thanks for all the replies, I'll let you know how I get on.
MOT "failure" - Martin Devon
I'm with Lud.
MOT "failure" - jc2
You shouldn't have taken it away-they will just say the wheels have been changed(even if the nuts are still dirty).
Agreed, I should have argued the odds there and then.

I'm still going to go around there and ask them to justify it. Hopefully this will result in my MOT fee being returned.

If I don't then I might give the small claims ago.

Either way, I'll be reporting them to VOSA and Trading Standards.
MOT "failure" - bathtub tom
>>I'm with Lud.

I'm so pleased for both of you. ;>)