Passed on M40 - dxp55
I had occasion to go to Oxford yesterday and on way back I was tootling along at 70 when a Ford 375 Consul passed me - now that was a shock as my old Zodiac never felt safe at that speed - it was the grubbiest one I have ever seen - painted matt black with painted on cat paw marks- the rear number plate was missing so not sure of year - anyway I had to pass it just for pride sake - then further on I passed a car towing a hot rod not in too good condition either - then getting close to Warwick turn I passed a nice looking pink 50's Buick - very low to ground (my type of car) - so anyone any idea what event these cars might have been to? -obviously Oxford or further south.
Passed on M40 - veryoldbear
It is possible you were in some sort of time warp.
Passed on M40 - David Horn
It is possible you were in some sort of time warp.

What, like Kidlington?
Passed on M40 - drbe
- so anyone any idea what event these cars might
have been to? -obviously Oxford or further south.

>>

Cowley - I believe.
Passed on M40 - Tornadorot
The scabby matt black look is apparently a trend in custom cars known as the "Rat Look". Very popular with air-cooled VWs for some reason.

Speaking of unusual sightings, on the M6 yesterday, I saw a Bond Equipe and no less than two Triumph GT6s.

Oh and at the BMW festival at Gaydon (just happened to visit the same day, honest!), someone had brought along a rather dilapidated Goggomobil - made an interesting comparison with the X5 parked next to it!
Passed on M40 - Lud
>> "Rat Look". Very popular with air-cooled VWs for some reason.

Not just popular but authentic. Early Beetles came in matt black.

I like and approve of rat look, but prefer it in battleship grey.
Passed on M40 - Pugugly
There's a pre-1960 Beetle around here ( I know that from the number plate and rear window) in a matt black - looks original enough. Looks as if it belongs in one of those Anglo-German films - the Odessa file springs to mind.
Not just popular but authentic. Early Beetles came in matt black.

Really? Citation needed, as they say on Wikipedia :-)
Passed on M40 - old crocks
They always look black or grey in the photos I've seen. :-)
Passed on M40 - Lud
The Beetle was the people's car, dreamed up by the Nazis and Dr Ferdinand Porsche. The pre-war and early post-war German production cars were supplied only in rat look, but it seems likely that when the Beetle started being exported other finishes were made available. I don't remember a lot of matt black ones when they started appearing here.
The photos of very early Beetles I've seen have generally been *gloss* black.

Like this one:

commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:VW_Standard,Bj1950...g

Edited by Typ 8L on 17/08/2009 at 17:37

Passed on M40 - deepwith
My 1957 version was a matt old gold colour - I think the semaphore indicators had a gold strip on the back too. It cannot have been a one-off as we were once stopped by a policeman who offered us his identical one for spares.

It did not have a split rear window nor a petrol guage.

Edited by deepwith on 17/08/2009 at 18:32

Passed on M40 - dxp55
No idea what cars you are talking about - my first car was a limo. ;-)
Passed on M40 - deepwith
dxp - Beetles, old chap, Beetles. ;-)
Passed on M40 - CGNorwich
This is the sort of thing you need to achieve

i40.tinypic.com/sws87q.jpg
Passed on M40 - able1

Is that the before or after ?