03 1.2 Cambelt snapped. Error made fitting new one - stuart76
hi all.

i have a renault clio, cambelt snapped, bent 2 valves, done all and refit all, all worked fine until i noticed the directional arrows on the cambelt were going the wrong way upon engine running! so i opted to remove cambelt and put back on correct way, wish i never!

somhow on doing this i refit cambelt ,started engine or tried to start engine and it sounded same as first instance of bent valve syndrome! so a weekend late ri removed the head a second time and yes found 4 bent valves! how did this happen i wonder?

before i refit all is the correct procedure to align top and bottom timing marks, put on bottom pully/crank ,lock the flywheel, then tighten the pully crank bolt ,then put on cambelt? alline top on camshaft sprocket, then turn engine by hand with socket on camshaft and then just hope for the best?

what is the correct way to lock the flywheel while trying to tighten the lower crank/pully bolt?

thankyou.
any help appreciated.

{subject header amended to hopefully make less vague and to include a brief summary of question being asked}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/08/2009 at 00:37

03 1.2 Cambelt snapped. Error made fitting new one - davecuk
I don't know irf it's right, but if it's a manual I would put the handbrake on, and place the car in top gear. It's what I have done on much older cars when performing similar procedures.
03 1.2 Cambelt snapped. Error made fitting new one - oilrag
When it`s done, why not turn the engine over slowly by hand with the plugs out to be sure it`s free?
03 1.2 Cambelt snapped. Error made fitting new one - the swiss tony
Are the gears 'keyed' to the shafts?
I know on the Ford Zetec engines you lock the crank, then the camshafts, loosen the cam gears, fit the belt then lock up the cam gears....

could be you are going the wrong way, re reading timing marks....