Removing dried tree sap - robert
Hi all,

Does anyone know a way of removing dried tree sap from car paintwork without causing any damage?

The roof of my car is covered in the stuff due to the previous owner parking under trees.

Its an Omega estate with no sunroof and has solid paint.

In anticipation.

Rob

{made non make model specific as could apply to any car, not just an Omega}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/08/2009 at 20:09

Removing dried tree sap - ifithelps
Carefully - I rubbed some sap on the roof of my last car with a chamois and managed to permanently mark the paint.

I would use plenty of warm soapy water, although I think there was a thread on here recently which gave several other ideas.

Removing dried tree sap - RakebeckBob
If washing with car shampoo doesn't remove it, I think a drop or two of 'Genuine Turpentine' on a soft cloth will do the trick. It wont damage the paint. You will now only get it from Art Shops.
Removing dried tree sap - alfatrike
it was either carb or brake cleaner that did the trick with my mondeo. also good for removing sticker glue.

alf
Removing dried tree sap - Old Navy
WD40 is good "sticker glue remover" and may work on tree sap.

Edited by Old Navy on 15/08/2009 at 20:54

Removing dried tree sap - alfatrike
what about sugar soap? does the trick for nicotine and fag smoke residue.
Removing dried tree sap - CGNorwich
Would endorse turpentine. (Not Turpentine substitute!). It is actually made by distilling the resin from pine trees so it a natural solvent for the dried tree sap. (Worst tree to park under by the way is a lime tree.) It is also actually far better for thinning household paints, especially gloss) than the mineral substitute.
Removing dried tree sap - daveyjp
Every car I've owned has at some point been covered in tree sap. If they get washed six times a year they are lucky.

None have ever had tree sap on them when I sell. It's an organic compound so goes with washing.

Dead insects also cause heartache for some owners, but come winter I have no sign of them.

Just wash with car shampoo and the sap will go.
Removing dried tree sap - Andrew-T
Any of these treatments is best done after a day or two of rain - meaning that the car has stood out in it, of course.
Removing dried tree sap - L'escargot
What about trying "Sticky Stuff Remover" ~ available from Wilkinsons and similar stores? It says on the tin it will "tackle Gum, Tar, Adhesive, Wax, Wet paint, Crayon, Grease, Labels & Grime", and "can be used safely on China, Glass, Plastic, Fabric, Paintwork, and even Skin & Hair".

Edited by L'escargot on 16/08/2009 at 10:41

Removing dried tree sap - J1mbo
Best way is with a a clay bar and plenty of lub. This will leave the paint silky smooth and will remove other crud like failout, tar, old wax. Follow up with a coat of wax. www.cleanyourcar.co.uk is a good place to start.
Removing dried tree sap - danensis
A lot depends on whether it is xylem sap or resin.
Removing dried tree sap - Mapmaker
It's not sap. It's aphid droppings. And the aphids love living in lime trees, which is why lime trees get such bad press.

I reckon after a day's solid rain so it's nice and soft. Failing that, use "orange peel" cleaner.

You'll have to re-wax after that.
Removing dried tree sap - danensis
Aphid "droppings" are sap. If the aphid hits the xylem, the sap flows in one end of the aphid and out of the other. The aphid doesn't have much effect on it.

Edited by danensis on 17/08/2009 at 15:18

Removing dried tree sap - Downesi1
G101 or any good Multi purpose cleaner should suffice, certantly does for me. It will however take off any wax or polish so you will need to reapply.

Edited by Downesi1 on 17/08/2009 at 12:33

Removing dried tree sap - madf
White spirit works.
Removing dried tree sap - barney100

Hard bird poo comes off with a sponge soaked in warm water left on the stuff for a little while, I'd try that first.

Removing dried tree sap - skidpan

Hard bird poo comes off with a sponge soaked in warm water left on the stuff for a little while, I'd try that first.

That does work a treat, been doing it for years, normally use a piece of wet kitchen roll to be honest, sticks to vertical surfaces better.

As for sap it does not work. Bought a car some years ago and the paint on the horizontal surfaces felt like sand paper and the wipers simply made a mess on the screen. Dealer wanted to power polish it, I said I would consider it knowing it was the last thing i wanted doing to the new purchase.

Tried polish and T-Cut, both no good, tried white spirit, no good, tried meths, no good. Chap at work told me about clay bar so I bought a Meguiars kit (included bar and lubricant) and tried it, only a tenner. Brilliant. Paint smooth as glass with no effort, glass smooth as glass with no effort. Did the whole car in a morning then polished it using Meguiars polish, well worth the time. Always used Meguiars stuff since.

But why did the garage not know about this, turns out all body shops use it?