02 1910 Oil beyond EGR puzzle - where from? - oilrag
Hi Guys,

First time i`ve stripped an EGR system these 45 years or so..

There has been an oil leak from (somewhere - couldn`t see directly) under the combined cambox/EGR/inlet tract on our 1.9 (not JTD, the IDI) it was spitting oil at the radiator at speeds over 60mph.

Stripped it off and the part of the cover that seals the cambox seemed fine - also the breather pipe to the back of the crankcase was clear.

When I took off the air trunking to the air cleaner, the air cleaner end was spotless - but there was a about 10ml of engine oil pooled at the other end - where it enters the air intake part of the combined cover.
Took the EGR pipe of the EGR valve itelf and this was clean. Inside the intake system where it enters the inlet tract part of the cover ( and directly above the oil pooled in the lower air intake pipe) was covered in oil and what seemed like wet oil shale.. (That end of the EGR pipe was restricted to around half its normal bore, by a drier `shale`.

(the external leak seemed to be from an O ring in the combined cover - after the EGR pipe intake)

The individual inlet tracts were exposed at the back of the engine - these had obviously been taking in a wet oil shale substance - although they were not restricted.

Question is -- where is the oil coming from in the intake system, when the actual EGR valve was dry and a grey exhaust colour?

It uses no oil noticable oil between services and there is no turbo...

What do none turbo diesel EGR systems typically look like as they enter the inlet tracts?

Thanks!
Conclusion,
Having stripped the top cover off - new gaskets - and blanked off the EGR valve with part of a 1 litre Gunk can, cut to form a blanking gasket.

The oil leak is gone and the car runs more smoothly than it ever has.

I first noticed that it would pull 4th at 30mph without the juddering and need to change down into 3rd.
Then, as I went around the city ring road I experimented and let speed drop of to 25mph in 4th - still smooth pulling with no judder.

I then did the extreme of letting the car drop to tickover in 4th... It drove itself smoothly at around 18mph and then picked up smoothly on the throttle with no judder. (unbelievable difference)

This, from a car that would not pull 30mph in 4th before I blanked the EGR.

I might put the code reader on later, to see if a code is flagged - but no spanner lights are lit.

I can`t remember it ever running this smoothly, even when new.

The oil really can only have come from one of the engine breathers wherever they are situated and been sucked along probably in mist form until they reached a point where they could accumalate and form drops again over time.

This is probably all rubbish, and stems from once having to disconnect the breather 'tween rocker cover (pushrods!!!) and air inlet on my Granada 2.5 diesel
The oil filter would become soaked in oil in about a thousand miles, i just connected a long piece of heater hose to the rocker cover outlet gripped with the statutory jubilee clip and let it hang down under the engine.

I wonder if you have a blocked engine breather somewhere else, maybe there's one at the bottom of the motor that you haven't seen?

The fans of current high power Diesels will probably never know the extreme low rev torque these old school motors had, no flying machine's agreed but kings in traffic stop start, and all but impossible to stall.
" been sucked along probably in mist form until they reached a point where they could accumalate and form drops again over time"

Exactly GB. It turned out it had a *very* slight micro spray of oil from the cambox rubber seal AND a weap from a rubber O ring on the intake/EGR side - wait for it.. Because that O ring had been settled into permanent hardened red gasket cement.

It had been into the dealers while still under warranty and they had done all the O rings and seals(Of which there were a few including the inlet tracts) with red compound!

I think the original micro sputter from the slight pressure in the cambox returned to be followed some time later by an O ring on the EGR side flexing and freeing from its permanent hard cement.

I found this unbelievable really and wonder if the dealer actually renewed any of those seals, years ago.
They had two goes at it too

It`s now redone with new O rings and cam gasket - I smeared that very lightly with blue non hardening stuff, just in case there`s an imperfection in the seat.

By the way, I`ve just posted a temporary pic of the engine and its cover over in discussion if you want to pop over and have a look.