Warranty via a cold telephone call... - Waino
I just wonder if anyone else has received a cold telephone call from a firm offering a car warranty ? this for a seven-year old car. A chap called earlier this evening, went through a load of spiel, told me he would send some information, then expected me to agree to a direct debit mandate. I?d let him go through his stuff but informed him that there was no way that I would set up a direct debit over the phone. I asked how he had found my contact details and details of the car and he said via insurers or the car dealer. When I asked which car dealer had given him the information, he hung up. It all seemed a bit fishy to me!
Warranty via a cold telephone call... - Stuartli
There's a few of these type of phone scams around at the moment - another is one offering a "computer maintenance/problem solving" service.

Just put the phone down...:-)
Warranty via a cold telephone call... - Rattle
Did they have a Welsh accent? There is a big scam going on there atm selling mobile insurances etc. I fell victim to it but I did get my money back after threatening with small claims court.

In my case they lied and pretended they were my mobile phone company as soon as I found out they weren't I asked for my money back and threatened with trading standards etc.
Warranty via a cold telephone call... - bathtub tom
Had a couple of blokes knock on my door who said they were helping improve security due to a recent burglary.

There was a car parked up the road with 'jam jar' stripes on it, and when I asked for them to prove their credentials, they did so without hesitation - warrant cards. PCSOs I think they call them.

There's one born every minute!
Warranty via a cold telephone call... - Blue {P}
The AA rang me and sold me a warranty, didn't hesitate to give them my bank details when I heard what was covered under warranty.

I made two claims on it totalling over £850, the warranty cost £525(ish), I was happy as on both occasions I didn't have enough in my reserve account to cover the repairs.

I've renewed it and now get slightly less component coverage but do get the top whack of AA breakdown coverage for £21.50 per month. Peace of mind for me as I couldn't afford to repair my V6 if either of the HGs were to go pop which is a common problem with the Duratec.
Warranty via a cold telephone call... - Stuartli
I would never, ever provide my bank details over the phone unless, of course, I had instigated the call in the first place and know who I am dealing with.

Where there's money there's always a fiddle and the phone and e-mail scams provide toe rags with the chance to catch out the unaware or gullible.

Not that I'm saying that you are gullible, Blue {P}...:-)
Warranty via a cold telephone call... - Bill Payer
I would never ever provide my bank details over the phone unless of course I
had instigated the call in the first place and know who I am dealing with.

>>

I love the way they call you and then ask your address! I ask them for their password. :)