Longest production run - enfield freddy
looking at the post below , regarding the A series and other engines ,

What is/was the longest production run for an engine , using the same engine block?

the a series was of course modified , to make the FWD , and the later marina was an "a" plus (ital was)

maybe the anglia engine , that ended in the fiesta?

maybe the VW beetle?

myself , I can only comment on motorcycle history

Royal enfield DOB 1949 , finally outlawed 2008, due to emissions
Longest production run - Pugugly
BMW boxer twin maybe ?
Longest production run - Rattle
The Ford Kent engine? 1959-2002.

Edit the A series still beats it though.

Edited by Rattle on 12/08/2009 at 22:19

I thought the "A" series , but it was modded for the mini , the midget got the triumph engine , so the moggy would have been the last inline version? , was,nt the marina changed to the a+ , mid 80s?
Longest production run - alfatrike
what about the honda c90? i know it outsold the beatle which everybody seems to think is the best selling vehicle in the world ever.

NANTNY
V twin Harley? was modded a lot thu out production , different crankcases , and different barrels ,

the honda 90 was a pushrod engine , then modded to OHC

post removed because of signature violation

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/08/2009 at 22:43

Longest production run - Hamsafar
Buick V8 - 1953 to present.
Use in Rovers, LandRovers etc.. in the UK.
buick engine designed in 1961 , right bought by BLMC in 1965 and REDESIGNED , was in production untill 2005
Longest production run - lotusexige
buick engine designed in 1961 right bought by BLMC in 1965 and REDESIGNED was in
production untill 2005

And a variant by Repco powered the F1 Constructors champions in 1966 and 1967.
Longest production run - zookeeper
have you tried using a search engine :)
will check that one out ?

large guzzis were first introduced in 1969 , designed by lino tonti ,
Longest production run - Harleyman
V twin Harley? was modded a lot thu out production different crankcases and different barrels

750 side-valve "45" engine, 1929 through to 1973. Only serious modification was recirculating oil lubrication (as opposed to total-loss) in 1935.

Parts still available today BTW, you can build a complete bike and engine from aftermarket catalogues.
thanks harleyman , tiz a close draw on oldest Mfg here , harley or enfield?

harley = 1903

royal enfield =1898 - 1971 + new factory in india 1966 - 2009+

750 side-valve "45" engine, 1929 through to 1973 =
44 yrs

bullet

1948-2009 = 61 yrs , continuous production

Edited by enfield freddy on 12/08/2009 at 23:10

Longest production run - Harleyman
Regrettably no contest Freddy.

Harley-Davidson are indisputably the longest-running *continuous* manufacturer; the Indian-built Enfield (not Royal Enfield) was made by a seprate company who merely bought the manufacturing rights and tools.

I would not, however, dispute the Bullet's claim to be the longest-running design in production.

Some other close runners....

Nimbus (Denmark) 1919- 1960

Honda 50 1958-date, which also holds the record for the best-selling powered vehicle of all time, over 60 million having been made.

I'm basing this on faithfulness to the original design; the DKW RT125 which begat the BSA Bantam and a host of others dates from the mid-1930's and versions were still made in India till the 1990's, but I doubt there was much in common with the original by then.

Sorry to digress so much onto two-wheelers.... anyone know what the relevant stats would be for cars?
I'm basing this on faithfulness to the original design; the DKW RT125 which begat the BSA Bantam and a host of others dates from the mid-1930's and versions were still made in India till the 1990's, but I doubt there was much in common with the original by then.

yes indeed , as well as helping the UK after the war , it also helped at least 2 other countries out

USA , went on to build the harley hummer (165cc)

and japan , yamaha presented there first ever bike , the YB1 (must check the model no.)

Edited by enfield freddy on 14/08/2009 at 00:32

Longest production run - Robin Reliant
V twin Harley?
Longest production run - Hector Brocklebank
I suppose very few engines are produced for very long before they recieve significant revisions to keep up with the opposition, it's therefore quite hard to determine what constitutes an original engine. It's like the story of the Irish hammer that's had 3 new heads and 2 new handles!
"trigger" from only fools and horses www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk24RdfXWcg

the enfield bullet ran from late 1948 , production stopped in about 1966 , when they set the factory up in india ,using the tooling, and production continued , until euro emissions made the last registration 31/12/08
Longest production run - stunorthants26
What about that V8 they use in Bentleys? Still in the Arnage isnt it?
Longest production run - 1400ted
Jowett flat twin...1906 to 1953.

Ted
Longest production run - mike hannon
>What about that V8 they use in Bentleys? Still in the Arnage isnt it? <

1959 -
And, as was common at RR, the design was 'borrowed'.
Longest production run - bell boy
briggs and stratton?
gardner engines?
pass
the little grey fergie tractor is still made in india. that has been around donkeys years.
Is that really true?
The TAFE company in India still makes a tractor with a 2-cylinder engine that looks a bit like a MF35 but the little grey Fergie?
Longest production run - Cliff Pope
Are we talking engines or vehicles? I doubt if the Indian tractors still use the original engine design - like the Ambassador, they'll have moved to some more modern power unit.
But the orginal Standard Fergie engine (1948) did also go into a range of British cars. When was the last 4-cylinder TR?

Some classic diesel engines continued in production as marine units, where the requirements are less exacting and as long as an engine is reliable there is little point in upgrading to more power, acceleration, etc.
Caterpillar still make marine engines I think- are they the same as in the old tractors?
>When was the last 4-cylinder TR?<

The last TR with the original Standard Vanguard engine series was about 1968.
Not counting the TR7 - but then you wouldn't, would you?

Edited by mike hannon on 14/08/2009 at 11:01

talking marine engines, what about the perkins 4 pot? they were in everything from tractors to diggers and didn't they put it in the sherpa?