Best way of carrying a bike - Focus1.8TDCi
I don't like rear carriers because they are awkward to fit and obscure number plates and lights, and I find the towbar options too expensive. Carrying on the roof seeems to be the best option. Are there any disadvantages with this apart from having to lift the bike on to the roof? One concern is high speed stability. Are they safe when driving at say 75mph with crosswinds?

Do you need to attach roof bars first and then the bike carrier? I've seen a thule 530 and they cost about £35 on ebay - is this a good product? How much should I pay for roof bars on a mk1 focus hatch?
Best way of carrying a bike - alfatrike
75 mph? on the autobahn i hope. i know we have to live in the real world but let's just pretend it's a legal one.

{sig snipped}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/08/2009 at 01:41

Best way of carrying a bike - Alby Back
I use roof mounted racks. They are permanently fixed to some crossbars so can be easily put on or taken off the roof of my car but to be clear it does have integral roof rails which makes things a bit easier. They go on my car most weekends when the weather forecast is fine.

I have lugged bikes as far as Spain and southern France and back like this on a number of occasions but wouldn't recommend exceeding any speed limits with them on.

They have at least a 25% detrimental effect on mpg at motorway speeds when laden but are otherwise user friendly enough. Not sure what brand mine are, nothing fancy for sure, got them from E Bay.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 10/08/2009 at 23:05

Best way of carrying a bike - NVH
I bought a copy of the German magazine Autobild a couple of weeks back.
They tested various combinations of roof box, top and rear-mounted cycle racks at different speeds.
IIRC roof mounted could use up to 40% more fuel, but rear mounted only 15% more.

Personally I don't like the extra drag, but do mount bike on roof rails for short distances.
I do know some people who dismantle their mountain bikes an stuff em into "bike bags" inside the car.

Edit - link to German article with lots of photos

www.autobild.de/artikel/grosser-verbrauchstest_947...l

Edited by NVH on 11/08/2009 at 21:49

I didn't know the fuel penalty would be so high for roof racks. Oh well, thats thrown the spanner in the works a bit.
Well yeah but.....Imagine a 2000 mile round trip holiday for example. Lets assume the bike rack adds 3p a mile to the fuel costs for discussions sake. It costs you an extra £60 to fuel the trip and you get to take your own bikes rather than putting up with the trasherooney which is available for hire at your destination. It's not so bad if you don't leave them on permanently. I put mine on on Friday nights and take them off again on Sunday nights. Also, if you keep your speed moderate, there is not much of a fuel penalty.

One of life's little peccadillos, fun costs money, by and large.....

Hope you find something to suit.

;-)
OK, may be its not that bad after all. The trips I do are unlikely to be more than 500 miles return, probably more like a 200 mile round trip or less. Thanks.
Those £35 bars sound very reasonable. The bike racks to go on them can be bought in the teens of pounds per item for basic kit. I seem to think I got three racks and a set of bars for around £80 but that was a handful of years ago. They were not the posh Thule branded ones but they have never failed to work, don't damage the bikes and have been put to regular good use.

The fact that my car has its own roofrails helped in the decision. I remember using one of those hang on the boot racks on my Golf Gti years ago and it constantly worked loose. You couldn't open the boot either with it in place.
Humph Backbridge, are you referring to the £35 Thule 530 cycle racks I mentioned were on ebay? They're suppposed to be a top brand and the price is reasonable compared to a lot of other places.

Should I get lockable roof bars (to attach the Thule bars to)? Theres some on ebay for my car at £30 incl delivery.

You mentioned taking your bike around France and Spain - I've only ever been to Barcelona city, what's the countryside like in those 2 countries compared to the UK, esp for cycling?
You mentioned taking your bike around France and Spain - I've only ever been to Barcelona city what's the countryside like in those 2 countries compared to the UK esp for cycling?

Probably the wrong person to ask. We tend to spend most of our time trail riding where bikes are more accepted of course. Although I/we do use ours for local errand use too.

It may be selective perception but I do feel that mainland Europe in general is more bike friendly than the UK. Subjectively there seems to be more tolerance from other road users, better provision of cycle lanes, cycle parking and better discipline from both cyclists and pedestrians. In Germany for example pavements often have a cycle lane and by and large the the bikes stay in them and the pedestrians stay on the footpath part. That does not happen where such facilities exist in the UK.

We use a dedicated off road cycling facility near where we live. It is contained within a forest with literally miles of waymarked trails to suit all abilities. Even there though there is conflict when less experienced walkers using the same trails fail to appreciate that they are sharing their stroll with fast moving mountain bikes. Dogs can be a particular nuisance if not controlled. I've made quite a few unplanned flights as a result of avoiding dogs and children diving in front of my bike at speed.

As with all forms of shared amenities, respect for others and a healthy cynicism of their level of intellect is probably the best survivalist credo.

You can see how the conflict escalates. Non-cyclists seem to hate the things and are not prepared to safely interact with them and some cyclists in return treat the walkers with contempt.

As always, the application of a bit of common sense all round would go a long way to making the whole thing a lot more pleasant.

Anyway, whatever type of bike loading gizmo you choose, enjoy your cycling and be safe...they're out to get you !
I enjoy my cycling. I'm not one of those all kitted out with the gear. I have 3 bikes, a hybrid which is the best as its super smooth on normal roads and can handle light offroad, a folding bike and a £20 mountain from ebay which I've done up and looks the business.
Best way of carrying a bike - BB
I have used several rear mounted racks and found that they damage the paintwork. I then bought a set of roof bars and a thule carrier and was much better.

However, what I do now is take off the wheels and seat stem off and load it directly into the car as the mpg difference for the roof bars for me was around a drop of 20%

Best way of carrying a bike - TheOilBurner
Another disadvantage of using a roof mounted system for bikes - height restricted car parks.

Such restrictions are far more common that you might think (thanks to attempts to prevent travelling communities setting up home), and the results of forgetting attached bikes or not noticing the restriction bars are predictably soul destroying!

I prefer to carry my bike within the car, when that's not possible I do without and hire one where I am. A bit of a gamble with the quality of what you get mind...

For family holidays, where we take a trailer already, I'm considering attaching cross bars to the trailer and fixing the bikes to that instead. Seems like the best of all worlds.
Best way of carrying a bike - Harleyman
OilBurner, any car driver who forgets that they've got bikes on their roof and clatters a height restrictor deserves the same contempt as drivers of 12' high lorries who try to go under 11' bridges, and the solution is the same; obtain one of those height indicator things from your nearest commercial motor factors (they're not very expensive) and stick it on your dashboard or sun visor.

Same goes for roof boxes. The indicators come with a mix of numbers so you can change them when you change your load.

Harleyman, I wish I had your presence of mind. After a long day driving with the kids in the back, throwing sticky things at each other and complaining about everything you have no power to change, how easy is it to drive into the services somewhere near Bristol on the M5 where a small and easily missed height restriction cuts across the lane?

Haven't done it myself (honest!) but I've seen it done first hand by the poor chap in front.

I doubt a simple sticker on the dash would help, but who knows?
Best way of carrying a bike - the swiss tony
Harleyman I wish I had your presence of mind. After a long day driving with
the kids in the back throwing sticky things at each other and complaining about everything
you have no power to change how easy is it to drive into the services
somewhere near Bristol on the M5 where a small and easily missed height restriction cuts
across the lane?

With respect, (and having kids so I do understand) you should take a break BEFORE getting that wound up.
even (?) if it means coming off the motorway at a town, rather than those services everyone raves about...
Did you know most towns have shops and restaurants/cafes? (foods generally cheaper AND better too!)
"any car driver who forgets that they've got bikes on their roof and clatters a height restrictor deserves the same contempt as drivers of 12' high lorries who try to go under 11' bridges" Totally agree.

Edited by Focus1.8TDCi on 12/08/2009 at 01:27

Best way of carrying a bike - Harleyman
OilBurner, in my previous job I had charge of a 26-ton Volvo flatbed equipped with a HIAB crane. It goes without saying that the load height varied according to what I was carrying.

Given that the average lorry drivers day can involve stresses equal to, and greater than, those you describe (often from trying to avoid car drivers who are in just that situation!) am I allowed to be surprised that I never took any bridges out? ;)

Returning to the subject of bike carriers... if the OP decides on a rear carrier I do hope he will have the decency to purchase in addition a trailer board so that us poor lorry drivers can see which way he's intending to turn, or perhaps stop, without having to second-guess through a maze of spokes.
Best way of carrying a bike - grumpyscot
if the OP decides on a rear carrier
I do hope he will have the decency to purchase in addition a trailer board
so that drivers can see which way he's intending to turn or
perhaps stop without having to second-guess through a maze of spokes.

I second that - nothing worse than, on an unlit road, coming up behind Mr Family man's Golf, loaded to the hilt with wife, kids, dog and 3 bikes on the back totally obliterating the lights and number plate
I did point out it wasn't me, didn't I? :)

Anyhow, I understand that as a lorry driver you need to think about what you're doing, despite the stresses, for mere mortals who normally just point and squirt, it would be easy (and only human) to forget, don't you reckon?
Best way of carrying a bike - Brian Tryzers
Ahem. Thule 530, someone asked about earlier.

I can endorse it. I have two, and I've used them for my big mountain(ish) bike and my 8yo's smaller one. It's very well designed and made, and easy to adjust for an exact fit. Once they're on, the bikes are very secure, held by a ratchet strap through each wheel and a pivoting, lockable clamp arm that grips the frame's down-tube (the diagonal one behind the front wheel.) When I check it by trying to rock the bike on the holder, it rocks the whole car instead.
Security-wise, there are three sets of locks: the bars lock to the roof mounts, the 530 locks to the bars and the bike locks to the 530.

Mine came with fittings for the square-section roof bars I fit to the Volvo, but I subsequently bought a conversion kit to fit them to the slot-in aero bars of our Verso. Either way, the fit is very secure. If you're buying through eBay you might want to check what fittings you'll get.

On the road, the car feels pretty well normal - although I can't comment on long or high-speed journeys, since our outings tended to be within half an hour of home. The height is a problem, though - quite often, car parks in scenic areas that one might want to use as starting points for cycle trips are height-restricted to keep out overnighters.

The other thing I'd advise before you commit yourself is to practise hoisting your heaviest bike to rooftop height to be sure you can do it comfortably - and hold it there while you position and fix the clamp. I'm 6'5" and even I found this awkward with the Verso.

practise hoisting your heaviest bike to rooftop height to be sure you can do it comfortably

Doddle - Open a back door. Grasp the bike by one front fork leg and the down tube ( the one running more or less vertically down from the saddle ) Step up on to the sill and place on the rack.

Simples !
Best way of carrying a bike - Brian Tryzers
>...down tube ( the one running more or less vertically down from the saddle )...

Isn't that the seat tube?
I mean the "vertical" part of the frame on a hardtail bike.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 12/08/2009 at 10:46

Best way of carrying a bike - AlastairW
Skoda supply a roof mounted bike rack with a built in hydraulic hoist to ease the lifting of bikes onto the roof. It fits all Skodas from Fabia to Superb, apparently, so I see no reason why it would not fit any other car.
Best way of carrying a bike - Car
I'am thinking of getting the Thule Pro ride 591 due to the ease of loading, as both our cars are unsuitbale for rear mounted due to one being a saloon and the other having a rear spoiler.

Has one had any experiences good or bad using the Pro ride 591
Best way of carrying a bike - nick1975
get a brompton, put it in the boot

Edited by nick1975 on 12/08/2009 at 23:10

We went down to the woods today funnily enough. My son and I went trail riding this afternoon when the weather cleared up enough. He's on school holidays and I never need much of an excuse to get the bike out. Still pretty muddy though.

Glad the bikes were outside on the roof of the car on the way back. We brought enough of the surface of the planet into the front of the car ourselves without that which would have been stuck to the bikes !

Fortunately it rained on the way home so the bikes were reasonably clean by the time we got back.

Best way of carrying a bike - Statistical outlier
If you're willing to pay for it, the 591 is brilliant. Very easy to load, and very flexible as you don't need to set it to the width of a particular bike's downtube. I've got 2 and have set them with the bikes facing rearward as the whole rig is more stable that way (front wheel is then trailing not leading). Recommended.
But its about £100 though?
Best way of carrying a bike - Car
£81.00 online including locks & delivery.
Best way of carrying a bike - Chris M
I got my roof mounted cycle racks off ebay. Chap was selling genuine Peugeot 307 roof bars with 4 Peugeot branded (but obviously made by someone else) cycle carriers. Starting price was £80 and he'd had no interest. He was local so I went to have a look. I offered him £60, which he accepted. I had turned up in the C-Max and after agreeing the price, the penny dropped for the chap - the cycle carriers would fit any car. Re-sold the roof bars for £39 on ebay, so I got 4 good quality racks for £21.

They do affect mpg, but we only go fairly local so it's insignificant. Also suffer 3mpg drop with rack on and no bikes. It's really a two person job to fit bars and carrier assembly complete on the C-Max, so it tends to stay attached longer than I would really like.

Edited by Chris M on 13/08/2009 at 19:51

I know what you mean Chris. I should take my bike racks and roof bars off every Sunday night and usually I do, but if it's cold or raining and dark, or I'm just too tired......

I envy those who have organised lives. I do try to have one but it's the "others" you know. They distract you.

;-)
Best way of carrying a bike - borasport20
I use a pair of Mont Blanc Aero roof bars and Barracuda bike racks on top of the Megane estate, (which came with roof rails). Bought of ebay through leisureshack, and i'd be happy ro recommend them

The bars/racks themselves seem to make little difference to fuel consumption - 2-4% approx, its the bikes make the difference, so I prefer to leave the racks on, not least of all because if the are secure, you know they are, whereas you are not so sure if you are taking them on and off all the time.

Recently did an 80 mile trip on the motorway with two bikes up at the margins of the limit :-) and was a bit disconcerted to find the rig had slipped - you need to bear in mind that with the rig I mention, the bike carriers are a sliding fit on the rear bar, so it is the fromnt bar alone that is taking the full brunt of the airstream. It's the only thing that makes me stick to the limit :-D

Try lifting a your bikes up to roof height a couple of times, and imagine doing it when you are 'tired' after a long ride, and find yourself in a busy car park with other peoples cars parked up close !
Best way of carrying a bike - retgwte

whats the point of carrying a bike if it doesnt totally cover up the rear number plate?

most of the bikes I see on the back of cars are never ridden, they are just there are an anti camera measure

and remember folks covering up your number plate in the very very very unlikely event you were ever done for it carries 0 points, comapre and contrast with loosing your licence for driving safely a few mph over a limit imposed by folk with no clue about driving

Try lifting a your bikes up to roof height a couple of times and imagine doing it when you are 'tired' after a long ride and find yourself in a busy car park with other peoples cars parked up close !

Heh heh ! If you can't lift a bike over your head a couple of times in a row maybe you need a bit more excercise ?

Cycling can help with that.

Off for a swim now.....sharp exit mode.....

;-)
Best way of carrying a bike - Old Navy
>> Try lifting a your bikes up to roof height a couple of times and
imagine doing it when you are 'tired' after a long ride and find yourself in
a busy car park with other peoples cars parked up close !

Other cars too close, you could move yours, or too "tired"? :-)
Best way of carrying a bike - David Horn
I've always folded the rear seats down and stuffed the bike in the back (Passat saloon) after whipping off the front wheel and non-drive-side pedal. Takes about 2 minutes if it's raining, and usually faster than someone can get it on their roof-rack. Most secure option IMHO since you can cover the bike. I have a plastic tarpaulin which I've cut to cover the boot and rear seats when folded flat.

Disadvantages: Only one passenger in the car; car can pong a bit; if you leave it in for more than an evening the bacteria start breeding on the bike and steam up the car.
Best way of carrying a bike - ijws15
Have used Halfords and Thule bars to carry various items but not bikes.

All the bars I have used had a recommended speed limit of 60mph. Going faster may end up with the contents on the road, a bill from whoever they hit, and a prosecution for a damgerous load/vehicle.
Best way of carrying a bike - Dyane 6 Mehari
if you're going abroad you'll get stopped in France if your chosen method isn't approved by the manufacturer of your car.

I ride all over the UK - my preferred method is both wheels off and in the boot - I can get two mountain bikes in the boot of my wife's 206. Wheels off, saddle down - takes about 30 seconds.

If there's luggage involved then I have a rear carrier - but my car's a Berlingo so it's well above the lights and number plate. The main problem is security - I'm not keen on leaving a £1,400 bike on the back of the car when I need to stop for a wee at the services.
Best way of carrying a bike - bathtub tom
Am I missing something?

Surely the whole raison d'etre of a push bike is to shove it under your BTM?
Best way of carrying a bike - Dyane 6 Mehari
Indeed it is, but if I live in Brighton and I'm spending the weekend mountain biking in Wales or in the forests south of Paris it might take a little too long to ride it there.