South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - John F
'For people living on the south coast, anywhere west of Portsmouth, the drag over to the tunnnel can be quite painful. '

The above appeared in a thread about a new cross channel ferry.

As an occasional visitor to the south coast area I am astonished at the inadequate infrastructure. At one time a Hastings-Honiton trunk road was proposed but never built.

France, Spain and Portugal have built motorways a few miles inland to service their coastal area - why on earth haven't we? There's tons of room as anyone who's flown regularly over the coast in clear weather will appreciate. Is it still the NIMBY Colonel Blimps and retired city workers who rule the roost down there?
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Mapmaker
There are all sorts of places that are further than 5 miles from a motorway, just fly over the country and you'll see.

So I think we should rectify that situation and turn the entire country over to motorway. Widening the M25 to 24 lanes would be a good start.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - veryoldbear
Certainly sticking points at Arundel and Worthing that have been argued about for years ....
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - William Stevenson
There isn't going to be one because the country is massively bankrupt. You can all save yourselves the effort of thinking about one for the next 10 years at least.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - alfatrike
there is one thing to remember, motorways take money to london. as we locals don't have any money down here in devon and cornwall they won't build us a propper link to london.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - John Maynard

Here we are then, ten years later, in 2019 and the A27 is still in the same state as ten years back, ten years of coalition, tory and chris greyling rule. Boris has wasted billions on failures and the Brexit farce earlier by May and Cameron has wasted more, the A27 is still not fit for purpose. Any foreign drivers must be bewildered at our ineptitude. Today Google routes me around B roads instead of using the A27 near Chichester.

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Engineer Andy

...and what about the previous 10 years when there was vastly more government money sloshing about? All politicians are to blame, not just the last lot, and besides, Boris has only been PM for a few months and it takes years, sometimes decades to plan and build major new roads. Besides, something vastly more important is occupying his mind at the moment.

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - helicopter
Well I would say the M27 is a south coast Motorway isn't it? Its west of Pompey ( or it was the last time I went to Bournemouth )

The A27 is a problem road with far too many roundabouts around Chichester for my liking but it is still better from the west to go M27, A27, turn onto A29 at Fontwell Park , and then over at Five Oaks to Horsham to A24 and A264 , M23 to M25 and the tunnel than any other way to the M27 from M25 or continuing onto Worthing and Brighton on the A27.

Why isn't there a motorway? Local opposition thats why. I live in that area of Sussex ......believe me its full of very powerful NIMBY's ...
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - bintang
Beware of the Circular Road in Hastings, signposted at the westwern end as such when last I looked but not traceable on the ground. Best take the seafront.

The route after Portsmouth is mostly pretty good as far down as Penzance, apart from a slow section round Bournemouth and Poole.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Sofa Spud
Wasn't the M27 originally planned to go all along the south coast?

I reckon that when the money's available, a whole lot of new motorways could be created, NOT by carving vast scars through virgin countryside but by upgrading trunk dual carriageways to Motorway standards like they're gradually doing with the A1.

It wouldn't be cheap but it would be cheaper and more eco-friendly than building completely new routes.

A good start would be to create the M34 out of the A34/A43 'Hamptons Route' between Southampton (M3) and Northampton (M1)

I know that motorways need to have an alternative route for non-motorway traffic, but in most cases that would be easy to achieve by minor works to exisiting roads or occasionally building a minor road parallel to the motorway-ised trunk dual-carriageway.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 10/08/2009 at 16:23

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - NickS
The East coast is equally as badly served, the A12 and A14 are grossly inadequate for the amount of traffic that goes to and from Felixstowe, bot freight and private cars. One crash and this whole side of the country is isolated.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Sofa Spud
I agree. An M12 and M14 are needed - again, this could be accomplished simply by upgrading the existing routes - although widening would be necessary along much of the routes and in the case of the A12 some realignment because of the tight curves.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Lou_O
Also:
Why is the M3 from Winchester to Basingstoke only 2 lanes?
Whose idea was it to make the M42 only 2 lanes from M6 upwards?

Both of these routes, which I use very frequently are just not up to the job.

They're both fairly new bits of road and any planner could have forseen the amount of traffic so it begs the question, why?

The lack of a good motorway along the whole south coast is obvious, but when you see the areas it would have to go through it's no surprise that it's never been built. The public enquirys and legal challenges would keep an army of civil servants and lawyers busy for a long, long, time!
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Zippy123
The route east of Brighton desperately needs upgrading but it will never happen now as the South Downs are now a national park.

There will be a 3-4 mile single carriageway link road between Hastings and Bexhill but in truth this will be used to open up land for more houses.

3-4 miles of single carriageway road costs c£100m! I hope it is gold plated at those prices.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Altea Ego
I agree. An M12 and M14 are needed - again this could be accomplished simply
by upgrading the existing routes - although widening would be necessary along much of the
routes and in the case of the A12 some realignment because of the tight curves.

Agree, The A14 is a complete mare and could be widened to motorway standard quite easily, with the catforth interchange turned into a proper motorway interchange. YOu woul dhave to buldoze huntingdon at some point but thats an added bonus.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Soupytwist
Linking the M11 and the A12 with a proper dual carriageway would be a good idea as well, although the construction of a new bit of A120 from Braintree to the A12 has just been knocked on the head.
Beware of the Circular Road in Hastings, signposted at the westwern end as such when last I looked but not traceable on the ground. Best take the seafront. The route after Portsmouth is mostly pretty good as far down as Penzance, apart from a slow section round Bournemouth and Poole.

There is a new link road between Hastings and Bexhill that cost £100m for 3 miles and is SINGLE carriageway.

The Govt. abandoned the plans to by-pass Hastings and Bexhill as the route would have been 10 to 15 miles and goodness knows what the cost would be!

The route from Dover to Brighton is in desperate need of an upgrade but it will never happen as the M2 / M20 / M25 / M23 route is available. An upgrade to the A21 would help bring some prosperity to the area, again there is no money for it.

Worthing is crying out for a by-pass with the A27 / A24 being effectively local roads and there are signs erected by locals pleading for one.

The A27 dual carriageway at Arundel truncates at a raised roundabout and you can see where the road was meant to go but was stopped when it was originally built. It would only need a couple of miles over fields to link up to the dual carriageway just beyond.

The whole thing is a cock-up with promises of jobs being transferred from London to the South Coast never materialising as the GLC at the time reneged on promises once they realised that they would lose out on the income generated from business rates.

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - barney100
Agree with the nimby answer. The high and mighty will not want a vulgar motorway anywhere near them.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - gordonbennet
Get out of bed a bit earlier, far too much of our lovely country is concreted over as it is.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - alfatrike
don't get me started on concrete roads!

{sig snipped}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/08/2009 at 01:41

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - ijws15
Why would you want one, what is wrong with a gentle drive along the coast.

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - John F
Why would you want one what is wrong with a gentle drive along the coast.

If there was a motorway a la Algarve [which was partly built with our/EU money - so not bankrupt] one could once more enjoy a gentle drive along the coast.

Clearly a modern-day Napoleon is required! The comments above about short-sighted planning are especially valid in my neck of the woods where the A14, which should have been a three lane motorway with hard shoulder, is frequently reduced to one lane or even closed when there is the most minor accident or a broken down vehicle.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - diddy1234
so much easier to delete than edit when someone can't post without resorting to swearing. DD

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/08/2009 at 14:48

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - L'escargot
I feel sorry for anyone who has a motorway or busy dual carriageway built within a mile of their house. From experience I can tell you the traffic noise can be intolerable. Could you guarantee that the route would be more than a mile from any houses?
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - CGNorwich
Could you guarantee that the route would be more than a mile from any houses?

simple - Knock down any houses within a mile of the route
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - maz64
I feel sorry for anyone who has a motorway or busy dual carriageway built within
a mile of their house. From experience I can tell you the traffic noise can
be intolerable.

We've got the A329M <1 mile to the north and the M4 <1 mile to the south, and it doesn't bother me at all. I think it's because it's reasonably constant - I do get irritated by a neighbour's tuneless whistling.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - ifithelps
...We've got the A329M <1 mile to the north and the M4 <1 mile to the south...

Focus,

You're practically on a traffic island. :)

I used to live near a rural stretch of the M5 and that could be irritating at night.

I read somewhere the sound travels differently in different weather conditions, so the road sounds louder some nights than others, even though the traffic volume is fairly constant.

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Altea Ego
I feel sorry for anyone who has a motorway or busy dual carriageway built within
a mile of their house. From experience I can tell you the traffic noise can
be intolerable.

I live within one crow mile of the m25. The raised section too. Its perfectly tolerable.
Focus
You're practically on a traffic island. :)

Pretty much!
I read somewhere the sound travels differently in different weather conditions so the road sounds
louder some nights than others even though the traffic volume is fairly constant.

I think if it's damp:
1. the wet road results in more noise
2. sound travels better through the moist (denser?) air

It's definitely louder.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - ifithelps
Certain atmospheric conditions deflect the sound in a curve skywards, I believe, and other conditions tend to deflect the sound in an arc towards the ground, I think.

I have a vague memory of doing something on this at school.

How's that for an accurate and well-informed post? Should have been a scientist, me.

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - SpamCan61 {P}
When I lived in Northampton (1988-1993) the A45 was at the bottom of my garden, with the A43 junction about a mile away. Didn't bother me particularly, although relaxing with a beer or two in the back garden required ear defenders :-/.
Certain atmospheric conditions deflect the sound in a curve skywards I believe and other conditions
tend to deflect the sound in an arc towards the ground I think.

This and more:
www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/handbook/Sound_Propagation...l

Quite interesting.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - drbe
Where I live, SWMBO and I sometimes debate whether the traffic noise we can hear is the A3 or the M25, or even possibly the Hersham by-pass!

The volume of is certainly greater when it is wet.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Neilly
We have a Labour government so they are not going to spend any money in a Conservative area. I think West Sussex has had to suffer the lowest or 2nd lowest council tax grant for many years.

Worthing/Arundel/Chichester are desparate for bypasses. Hopefully one day something will happen. Worthing is probably the biggest bottleneck and bypassing the town is not easy as the route would have to go several miles north or split the town in two. Discussed for many years but nothing has ever happened.
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Kevin
>Why is the M3 from Winchester to Basingstoke only 2 lanes?

I think that it is so that travellers have ample time to take in the view as they approach Basingstoke and can admire the wonderful architecture of this historic town.

I've also heard that planners thought that drivers heading north would never want to go as far as Basingstoke and drivers from the north would relax and slow down as soon as they got past ;-)

Kevin...
South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Terry W

It used to be the case that the south coast between Dover and Bournemouth was quite pleasant - towns and villages between which were nice bits of coast and countryside..

The last time I drove this route a few years ago it seemed to have largely morphed into an overdeveloped congested strip of out of town stores, garages, distribution warehouses, look-alike housing developments, etc etc. Thoroughly unpleasant and not a desirable place to live.

So I make no apologies for being a nimby. A motorway (even a few miles inland) makes new coastal development west of Bournemouth inevitable . Also inevitable is the destruction of that which made the area attractive in the first place.

If you need access to channel tunnels, ports, airports etc - MOVE.

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Smileyman

The needs to be a descent 2/3 lane dual carriageway / motorway linking Dover with Brighton and onto the M27. (NOT A SMART MOTORWAY!!)

The A20 / M20 as far as Ashford is a good starting point, after that the road is a joke. Whilst the A27 is a dual carriageway there are so many roundabouts, it kills journey time (and fuel economy too).

Such road would immediately take traffic off the M20 / M26 / M25 reducing congestion on these roads in one swoop. In fact it might even have been a better option than widening the existing roads. Would also provide a good alternative option to get to Gatwick Airport too.

(just noticed this is a 10 year old thread, seems not much has changed, nothing has improved and of course the M20 / M25 / M23 have been or are in the process of conversion to the death trap smart motorways.)

Edited by Smileyman on 28/09/2019 at 18:20

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - T Lucas

Off the ferry at Newhaven this morning around 4am.The road from the ferry port to the main road must rank as one of the most embarrassing entrances to the UK.

Miles of winding slow roads all unlit and surely dangerous for foreign drivers.Why can't we as a nation just get these simple things right.

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - focussed

I feel a bit guilty adding to this thread.

I remember flogging along the A 27 years ago when that was my work and travelling area, it sound as if it hasn't changed much!

Where I am in Brittany, north west france I am about 30 miles north of the south coast and about 25 miles from the N165/E60 south coast motorway which stretches from Nantes in the south east to Brest in the north west - about 185 miles, all dual carriageway. And my route to the N 165 is also mostly dual carriageway for 20 miles or so- the . Apart from morning and evening traffic, the roads are not that busy. And we don't pay any road tax in France.

I did Nantes airport there and back twice last year, about 125miles from home in about 2 hours 10 minutes, keeping within the 110 kph limit. Boring but a predictable journey time, no road closures, no road works, no potholes either.

If france can build and maintain an effective road network, why can't the UK?

France is a much bigger piece of real estate, about 2.5 times as big as the UK, with roughly the same population.

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - galileo

I feel a bit guilty adding to this thread.

I remember flogging along the A 27 years ago when that was my work and travelling area, it sound as if it hasn't changed much!

Where I am in Brittany, north west france I am about 30 miles north of the south coast and about 25 miles from the N165/E60 south coast motorway which stretches from Nantes in the south east to Brest in the north west - about 185 miles, all dual carriageway. And my route to the N 165 is also mostly dual carriageway for 20 miles or so- the . Apart from morning and evening traffic, the roads are not that busy. And we don't pay any road tax in France.

I did Nantes airport there and back twice last year, about 125miles from home in about 2 hours 10 minutes, keeping within the 110 kph limit. Boring but a predictable journey time, no road closures, no road works, no potholes either.

If france can build and maintain an effective road network, why can't the UK?

France is a much bigger piece of real estate, about 2.5 times as big as the UK, with roughly the same population.

Overall the level of taxation in France is higher than here ( some estimate it at 50%) and the French milk the EU by various means to get more than we do.

"Overall the level of taxation in France is higher than here ( some estimate it at 50%) and the French milk the EU by various means to get more than we do."

Having lived in France for ten years now, I don't think the level of taxation, at least for us two,is anything like as high a the UK.

As stated no VED road tax.

Mot only every two years by a testing station not allowed to do repairs.

Property tax equivalent to council tax, about half of the UK, we have a big old house, a huge 100 foot barn and a smaller barn and about an acre of land, had a UK four bedroom modern detached with a postage stamp garden.

Road fuel cost about the same nowadays.

Water and electricity bills a bit cheaper.

Vehicle insurance a bit dearer but comes with breakdown and recovery as standard.

Health costs a bit more, the UK pays 70% but we pay or the insurance pays the rest, but veterinary bills 50% of UK.

Dental bills much less.

Weekly shopping probably about the same even though there is VAT on food here- Lidl and Aldi very good here.

We are fortunate in that we don't have to count the pennies or centimes, but we find it's not really that more expensive to live here than the UK.

The good thing we find is that the place is kept tidy, the verges are trimmed, virtually no litter, the towns are bright and cheerful with flower beds etc, much less low level crime, vandalism and graffiti.

And why didn't the UK milk the EU to get a better road system? They had the same opportunity as France!

"Overall the level of taxation in France is higher than here ( some estimate it at 50%) and the French milk the EU by various means to get more than we do."

Having lived in France for ten years now, I don't think the level of taxation, at least for us two,is anything like as high a the UK.

As stated no VED road tax.

Mot only every two years by a testing station not allowed to do repairs.

Property tax equivalent to council tax, about half of the UK, we have a big old house, a huge 100 foot barn and a smaller barn and about an acre of land, had a UK four bedroom modern detached with a postage stamp garden.

Road fuel cost about the same nowadays.

Water and electricity bills a bit cheaper.

Vehicle insurance a bit dearer but comes with breakdown and recovery as standard.

Health costs a bit more, the UK pays 70% but we pay or the insurance pays the rest, but veterinary bills 50% of UK.

Dental bills much less.

Weekly shopping probably about the same even though there is VAT on food here- Lidl and Aldi very good here.

We are fortunate in that we don't have to count the pennies or centimes, but we find it's not really that more expensive to live here than the UK.

The good thing we find is that the place is kept tidy, the verges are trimmed, virtually no litter, the towns are bright and cheerful with flower beds etc, much less low level crime, vandalism and graffiti.

And why didn't the UK milk the EU to get a better road system? They had the same opportunity as France!

I have relatives near Lyon and Ma***illes and considering they earn about the same, every time I visit I think their standard of living is significantly better then ours. Most have houses with pools. Younger ones have nice city apartments with all mod cons and certainly not "boxes".

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - catsdad
Driving abroad in France (and Spain) I am always note how good the roads are. Not only trunk roads but local bypasses. Equally I am struck that they just seem to bung them in with little or no regard for adjacent dwellings or the natural landscape.

I have no idea if these intrusions are controversial locally but in UK we spend a lot of time consulting and objecting and protecting the landscape. There's a lot to be said for this approach but it does result in a poorer road system and long planning delays. The lack of a south coast route being a case in point.

The biggest missing link that I encounter is that between the south and Edinburgh. It's incredible to me that the city has no continuous dual carriageway or motorway along the A1. There are long stretches of single carriageway despite there being ample land either side and a fairly unchallenging terrain that invites development.

I can't speak for the whole of France but in our little corner of Brittany there isn't the same local resistance to building new roads as in the UK. There doesn't seem to be the same rabid conservationist mindset here - compared to the usual UK - style campaigns to save an allegedly rare frog or some obscure weed or moth.

Locally a new bypass has been built to avoid a bottleneck - the french love it, they can get back home for lunch quicker, a very french habit!

As I said in a previous post - France is a lot bigger than the UK, it's not anything like as crammed together as the UK, except the big towns and cities of course.

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The biggest missing link that I encounter is that between the south and Edinburgh. It's incredible to me that the city has no continuous dual carriageway or motorway along the A1. There are long stretches of single carriageway despite there being ample land either side and a fairly unchallenging terrain that invites development.

I avoid going through Embra to the north when I can. Not because of the roads leading there but because of the dual carriageway ring road (solid/stationary traffic and accidents)
Was good when it first opened but in conjunction with the bargain Chinese steel Queensferry Crossing a no no for me.

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - concrete

I thought the new Queensferry crossing was constructed of reinforced concrete with stainless steel reinforcing bars. I know the concrete specification is one of the highest you can work with. Anyway back at the thread....

The need for a South Coast motorway is a matter of debate. There is not a vast amount of heavy industry or imports except for the obvious areas around Portsmouth and Southhampton. These are served by the M27. I agree the road system is not ideal but I cannot see a lot of money being spent to aid car drivers on short journeys across the area. The A14 and A12 both inadequate too, but again the solution would be to start importing goods thorough other ports with good road connections. Hull springs to mind, also Grimsby, Middlesbrough, Hartlepool. Loads of good ports with decent road systems that can take the strain off Felixstowe. Again though this requires strategic long term planning. A strategy that is alien to Government ministers. Anyone remember ( apart from two jags Prescott) a Transport Minister being in post for longer than a couple of years? Or enough time to implement a strategy?

Cheers Concrete

South coast motorway - why isn't there one? - Sulphur Man

Where does one begin with this.....

1) You're an occasional visitor, yet you're complaining at the lack of a motorway

2) National Parks...South Downs, New Forest, Jurassic Coast - all glorious. Lets run a motorway through all that

3) Roads near popular coastline always snarl up in the sunny months, bank holidays, but will be far quieter from now until next Easter.

4) France,. Spain and Portugal build their coastal links, which are largely 2-lane, with tolling charges to reinforce the business case. I'm quite familiar with the Portugal East and West Algarve one - it's an eyesore through some spectacular scenery. It's pretty empty, even in the height of summer, and expensive.

The answer isnt more roads. It's less cars and better alternatives. But there is no political guts to confront that in mainstream politics to confront that, despite umpteen state-sponsored reports advising investment in rail, cycle and walking infrastructure.