Minor 1960 1100cc - What Oil should I use? - drbe
I recently purchased a Morris Minor as a 'fun' car. It's a 1098cc engine of, I think 1960 vintage.

Which oil should i use in the engine? Presumably the engine is using 'old' technology, so the latest fully synthetic oils would be inappropriate?

Would a straight 20-50 oil be best? Are there any spec numbers I should be looking for?

Is it worth paying the extra for Castrol or Duckhams, say? Would Asda's cheapest be OK?

Edited by Webmaster on 10/08/2009 at 02:10

Which Oil? - FotheringtonThomas
How often are you going to use it, and how far will you be travelling in it?
Which Oil? - drbe
Probably less than 3,000 miles per year
A 20-50 multigrade - expensive = Castrol Classic or Duckham's Q, although you might buy a cheaper one if you're going to change it often, which you should.
Which Oil? - Cheeky
Probably some of that vintage car stuff that Halfords (??) does. Perhaps some of the supermarkets do them too... It's in an old fashioned metal container and I think it is 20-50.
Which Oil? - b308
It won't be the vintage stuff, they (Halfords, Millers, etc, etc) all do some sort of oil that suits "classics"... but before you start get hold of a manual for it and check what its supposed to have because there are several different types made for cars in the 50s to 70s age group.

Personally I'd log on to a Moggy Forum (i'm sure there will be at least one!) and see what they suggest... also is it an original engine or a later A series as some Moggies have been re-engined with the A+!

Think the main thing is to avoid synthetic or semi synthetic as its doesn't suit the older engines like yours.
Which Oil? - b308
Here's the Millers example (I used theirs for the Maxi)

www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_CLASSIC.htm
Which Oil? - enfield freddy
20-50 oil was developed by austin-morris (BLMC) especially for the new mini released in 1959.

this oil was different to the previously used oils , because it had to lubricate the gearbox and diff , on the new transverse engine.

I have several old brit motorcycles , that WERE supposed to be run on the older 30sae ,

If you collect the owners manuals / and or haynes manuals for the bikes (all production stopped in the early 70s) , you will see the mfg were recommending 20-50 at the end.

I have no problems with using this , and actually buy my oils from supermarkets (£4.99 - £5.99 a GALLON)

modern oils , INC supermarket oils are far better in terms of protection , than oils from the 50s or 60s.

if yours is an earlier car , it might just have a paper filter , that is a pain to change , and might be getting rare now , the later mini/allegro/marina etc (a series) had a screw on filter , and changing the oil was easier/cleaner , there are plenty of those about , 2 bolts and a gsk

hope this helps

Which Oil? - nick
I've used Morris Oils 15/50 for many years in mine with no problems. Usually available from motor factors.
A screw-on oil filter conversion is well worth having, it makes life easier and cleaner. Available from most of the Minor parts places, I mainly use Bull Motif at www.moggyminorspares.com, prices are discounted if you are a MMOC member. It's worth joining the MMOC, lots of useful information and support in the excellent magazine and website. Just google Morris Minor Owners Club.
Which Oil? - ifithelps
The Minor pick-up we used at the garage as a breakdown tender was run on oil drained from 'empty' pint and quart containers left at the forecourt.

We used to drain them into a bulk oil dispenser - waste not, want not.

In other words, any multigrade will do. It's a low stress engine which is not oil sensitive.

Ours had a metal cannister and paper filter.

Changing the 'o' ring seal was the hard bit, but if you didn't change it, it would leak.
Which Oil? - Number_Cruncher
I would probably use a common 10W40 (A3/B3) semi synthetic rather than finding anything specially made for older engines.

I would probably use a common 10W40 (A3/B3) semi synthetic rather than finding anything specially
made for older engines.

THE CAR WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR SEMI , OR FULL SYNTHETIC!!!!!!!!

as per post above use a 20/50 oil from a car accessory shop , or wilco etc

the running tolerences on this car , are far greater than a modern car a synthetic (or semi) will be wasted.

there you go , I,ve had my say
the running tolerences on this car are far greater than a modern car a synthetic
(or semi) will be wasted.

Presumably it could still be cost-effective, though.

Somewhere I may have a handbook showing what viscosity was recommended at the time, Summer/Winter straight various grades, also multigrade...
As a user of the A series engines , since 1971 (and still owning a VP allegro) , please use 20/50 oil!

do not pay thru the odds for "special" oils , local car accessory shop or supermarket sell stuff that EXCEEDS the requirement of the oil in the 60s

How much do you pay for how much?
the oils I use in my classic bikes , and the old allegro , plus the coventry climax in an albatross speedboat , come from local shops , just looked in the garage ,

"wilco" Wilkinsons ,, local shoping centre ,, mineral based 20/50 4.55l £5.99

"formula 1" oil , (white can) , 4.55l , £5.99 made/mfg by tetrosyl , local car shop £5.00

both well and truely adaquate for a 40-50 yr old engine

synthetic and semi skimmed tend to "eat" old (fashioned) oilseals , and are not NEEDED on an older engine.
>>THE CAR WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR SEMI , OR FULL SYNTHETIC!!!!!!!!

Quite true

BUT

The A series was used for a long time, and, I would use the oil as specified at the latest possible date - for example as specified for a 1300 1994 Maestro.

The oil I mentioned will be fine, and will allow some benefit to be taken from the improvements in oil technology.

There's no reason at all to use poor oil in this case.
The A series was used for a long time, and, I would use the oil as specified at the latest possible date - for example as specified for a 1300 1994 Maestro.

The oil I mentioned will be fine, and will allow some benefit to be taken from the improvements in oil technology.

There's no reason at all to use poor oil in this case.

excuse me? the 1994 maestro was an A+ engine , not a "A" series engine , slight but suttle differences , on the later models .

I have clearly stated the reasons for using a mineral 20/50, @ a cost of £5 / £6 a 4.55l can ,

please continue to tell the OP to use a semi synthetic oil at a cost of many bear tokens

for example Halfords (Please note the correct spelling of Halfords. Its slang name is NOT permitted in this forum - DD)

Castrol Magnatec 10W40 Oil 4 Litre £26.99?????????????????????????

the OP will not gain anything from using this , infact I think he will have leaking oil seals , and burning oil thru the valve guides / piston rings ,

please , continue to advise , and to reap the bonus on your castrol shares

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/08/2009 at 00:56

Which Oil? - oldgit
Why do people think that it is clever to use the alternative slang name for Halfords? I think that these people are muppets as the firm in question is a perfectly decent and honest organisation.
Which Oil? - the swiss tony
The A series was used for a long time and I would use the oil
as specified at the latest possible date - for example as specified for a 1300
1994 Maestro.

Normally I find myself agreeing 100% with you NC... But... this time I would use the oil that the engine was designed for, and that would (unless its an A+ ) 20/50 mineral oil.
maybe if it was rebuilt I would think about using a more up to date oil, but if the engine is in a 'used' state then 20/50 is the one for me.

anyway, I understood that you shouldnt really mix mineral / synth / semi synth oil?

Edited by the swiss tony on 09/08/2009 at 22:31

OK many yrs ago , I had a 4.5m merc 508D flippin long box van , we put that on semi skimmed , and it ouzed from every hole going ???

we put it back on mineral oil , but all the oil seals were duff,

major job , engine / box out , new seals etc

back on mineral and ran for another 8 yrs

sold it to some "travellers" who took it back to the emerald isles
Which Oil? - Manatee
I incline to agree with Freddy. I went to buy some EP90 yesterday to fill up the rear diff on my 29 year old Land Rover, which has taken to leaking faster than usual. I discovered that it now comes in GL4 and GL5 specs. The best advice from the vendor was that "GL5 is more up to date and better". Unconvinced I did a bit of Googling, which suggests that GL5 eats phospor bronze bearings and shouldn't be used on old Land Rovers.

If the recommended oil worked then, it should work now. There might be something better, but if it wasn't around 50 years ago it could have unintended consequences.

Don't forget the lead substitute, unless the head's been converted.
. I went to buy some EP90 yesterday to fill up the rear diff on my 29 year old Land Rover which has taken to leaking faster than usual. I discovered that it now comes in GL4 and GL5 specs.
The best advice from the vendor was that "GL5 is more up to date and
better". Unconvinced I did a bit of Googling which suggests that GL5 eats phospor bronze
bearings and shouldn't be used on old Land Rovers.

Thats raises a good point, with regards the 10/40 20/50 moggie argument....
IF the older specs were not needed, why would the oil company's bother to make, and market them?

Fully agree wrt GL4 vs GL5 that's a very specific corrosion problem, and you were quite right to avoid GL5.

However, I struggle to think of any obvious material incompatibility in this case - there are Neoprene seals and felt seals. The Neoprene, if anything will be better conditioned in terms of its flexibility with the additives in a more modern oil.

may I suggest something for your land rover?

back in the 50s royal enfield started making bikes in india , but the quality was bad , the EP90 oil leaked from the g/box like water , so they found an easier solution?

this was a grease , called "veedol" , in normal use this does not leak out , but if it does , just top up with 20/50 , If you fit sealed bearings (2rs), then you can use ep90

link to piccy off veedol can www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/images/enfield_india...g

I have used both the grease above , and latter having fitted sealed bearings used EP90 , with no difference in performance or wair (sp)
Which Oil? - Manatee
>>may I suggest something for your land rover?

Thanks for the suggestion Freddy. Not sure I dare put grease in the diff!

You can get 'one shot' grease for the swivels, rather than EP90, and I believe 00 grease has been used as well. Same principle I suppose, but a Land Rover that doesn't leak would only rust away faster :-(
Which Oil? - Kevin
>OK many yrs ago , I had a 4.5m merc 508D..

>we put it back on mineral oil , but all the oil seals were duff,

Early synthetics and semi-synths did cause some problems with oil leaks due to seal shrinkage but that was fixed a long, long time ago. In fact, the additives in modern synths make them better than Dino oil for seal swelling.

Using synth or semi-synth in an A-series shouldn't harm the engine but is probably a waste of money in something that old.

Kevin...
"Using synth or semi-synth in an A-series shouldn't harm the engine but is probably a waste of money in something that old."

flipin heck , someone actually agrees with me???

being a scot , living in yorkshire , I don,t do the modern "give us £30 for an oil and filter"

8< snip - attempt at trying to bypass the swear filter removed, DIY , bike mentioned above has an oil change at about 600-1000 miles , the filter (cost £2.49) is changed every second oil change , bike holds about 2l.

filters bought in bulk (60p each) and they are a cloth type thing , so always one soaking in a pint pot of new oil .

cost per oil change = oil @ £5.99 divided by 2 + oil filter = £3.20

and I even tell them I dont want a "head" on my beer, in the pub

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/08/2009 at 01:03

If anything, it's not so much the old oil technology that upsets me, but, the treacly viscosity of 20W50. There's really no need for it.

As an aside, I wonder how much of the poor engine life which we used to accept as par for the course was down to the engine, and how much was down to the oil.

Hang on - I already know the answer - the engines which were produced for years and years tended to have much longer lives when filled with modern oils (in this context, post mid 1980's spec, API SG and newer). Compare how long Ford Pintos lasted when fitted in Sierras to when fitted in Cortinas, etc, etc.

Which Oil? - captain chaos
Quite agree, NC. The Rover/Buick V8 used to suffer from sludging up of the oil galleries due to being run on treacle oil. Yanks have used 10/30 for decades ever since they started using hydraulic valve lifters
"Quite agree, NC. The Rover/Buick V8 used to suffer from sludging up of the oil galleries due to being run on treacle oil. Yanks have used 10/30 for decades ever since they started using hydraulic valve lifters"

so you are agreeing that a 20/50 oil is correct , instead of a monograde?
Which Oil? - captain chaos
Yes, 20/50 treacle is fine. Change oil and filter every 1500 miles and you won't go far wrong
Which Oil? - Kevin
NC,

It's a 50 year old engine that will be doing "Probably less than 3,000 miles per year".

Kevin...
Which Oil? - davecuk
I had one, 20W/50 mineral multigrade. Use anything thinner and you may not get enough oil pressure, plus suck of oil through the valve guides, past the rings etc... The low mileage per annum will mean a synthetic will be of little advantage.

Also the engine was not designed with synthetic oils in ,mind and modern synthetic oils were conversely, not designed with the Morris Minor engine in mind! It's lasted all these years OK, why change now.

Which Oil? - Lygonos
Have look under the rocker cover - if it is fairly spotless use anything you like and change it regularly.

If there is a load of tar and treacle on the non-moving parts then avoid a high-spec modern oil as it may disperse the crud and shift it into the rest of the engine.

Regarding viscosity, you'll find that oil FLOW is much more important than oil pressure. If the engine is in good working order, the pressure should be ok with 10W30 or 20W50.

Which Oil? - nick
I reckon the best compromise is a 15/50. Same viscosity when hot as a 20/50 and thinner when cold, when it needs to be. You need a '50', they leak enough as it is! Thinner oils won't do much if any harm, but you'll burn and leak a lot more. I've run my Moggy on this for over 10 years and it's still fine.
Which Oil? - b308
Well thats confused us all!

EF, I agree that with you that he should not use synthetic or semi-synthetic, that is the advice given by the Classic mags... apart from the tollerences, its just a waste of money on older cars...

But at the beginning I did ask the OP to check that his car hadn't been re-engined, simply because if it had they could have used the later A+... or even a fuel injected ex Mini engine, as that would change the advice... I can't see a reply so assume that its on its original engine!

I know that my handbook on the Maxi gives the spec of the oil that should be used, all the OP needs to do is look it up in his handbook and then go on one of the oil sites which tells you what the correct modern oil is... simplzzz.
Which Oil? - Stuartli
My first car (in 1964) was a 1960 1098cc Dove Grey Morris Minor, bought secondhand for £345.

I used to do the oil and filter changes etc and keep the SU carb points in order - I used the available mineral oil (Castrol) at the time, but I wouldn't dream of using semi-synthetic or synthetic if I still owned one.

The Minor was a classic learner's car - all four wheels right in the corners, rear wheel drive, sharp steering and a chuckability factor that was great fun despite the lack of power.

I'd had the Minor for two years before I discovered that the rear seat could be dropped down by releasing a high up retaining strap on the seat from the boot...
Which Oil? - ifithelps
...and a chuckability factor...

Not on crossplys. :)

And the low power was a safety feature to balance the ineffective brakes.
Which Oil? - Stuartli
>>Not on crossplys. :)>>

I use to surprise my then best pal, who had a Mini Cooper S, by keeping up with him reasonably well on country roads - underpants use to be a different colour though afterwards..:-)

What's more I never had any problems with braking performance - the only car I ever did was a Fiat Regata 1.6S and it was something that was prevalent throughout the range at the time.

They were either on or off with absolutely no progressive feel and the expectation that you were never going to stop in time... Bit like the hatchback VW Polos without servos.

Edited by Stuartli on 10/08/2009 at 11:42

Which Oil? - lotusexige
...and a chuckability factor...
Not on crossplys. :)

The great advantage we had in starting off driveing in those days was that as the old crossplies had little grip and broke away an a fairly prgogresive manner we could learn a bit of car control in comparitive safetey.
Which Oil? - drbe
>> But at the beginning I did ask the OP to check that his car hadn't
been re-engined simply because if it had they could have used the later A+... or
even a fuel injected ex Mini engine as that would change the advice... I can't
see a reply so assume that its on its original engine!

>>

Er... With respect b308, I think if you re-read your post, I think you will agree that it is at least open to another interpretation - no question mark at the end of the sentence for example. ; - )

However, The car hasn't been re-engined with a later version - to the best of my knowledge.
Which Oil? - b308
I'm not going to fall out over it! ;-)
Which Oil? - drbe
I stumbled over this on the webnet thing. Seems pretty comprehensive, I can't vouch for its accuracy.

tinyurl.com/dnsnc

Which to some degree answers my own question.

Edited by drbe on 10/08/2009 at 16:49

Which Oil? - Another John H
>>However, The car hasn't been re-engined with a later version -
>>to the best of my knowledge.

I'll find my information out in the morning, but I'm fairly certain the 1960 version was built 998cc

AFAIR

in 1960, it would be large single piece windscreen, but rear light clusters a bit smaller than the slightly later 1098 (and maybe with trafficators too). Maybe 1962 for 1098, about the time of the Minor 1,000,000.. in Lilac.

If really pushed I could find out the original lubrication specification - grease trunnions every 1k, for instance....

The 998 was a smoother and better balanced lump.

Enough for now.
Which Oil? - Harleyman
Oh goody, an oil thread!

I get these every day on the Harley forums, and since my own speciality is older iron, here's my twopennorth on this one.

Unless the OP's engine has recently had a full overhaul, my advice is to use a NON-DETERGENT 20/50 mineral oil. I have always been led to believe that modern detergent oils have a nasty tendency to shift crud which is better off staying where it is, and depositing it into a narrow oilway where it can starve a bearing. I've always used Morris oils for the simple reason that they're more easily available in rural outlets, many agricultural factors stock them. AND they're a British company!

I have always thought that the more frequent service and overhaul intervals on older engines did at least encourage owners to look after their cars (and bikes) better. Modern engines might thrive on neglect but that remarkable durability means that owners tend to get lazy about other bits of routine maintenance like lights and tyre pressures.
Which Oil? - TheOilBurner
I have always been led to believe that modern detergent
oils have a nasty tendency to shift crud which is better off staying where it
is

If that is the case, then couldn't the build up of crud deposits also block oil ways? Where exactly do you expect this crud to accumulate?

It seems likes you lose either way.

Perhaps the ideal solution is to do a full strip down and rebuild and then use a decent modern oil from that day on...
Which Oil? - Harleyman
Perhaps the ideal solution is to do a full strip down and rebuild and then
use a decent modern oil from that day on...

It is, I agree; but I also live by the mantra of "if it ain't broke" to a great extent. Generally speaking though, by the time the crud has built up to that level the engine will be ready for a stripdown (rebore or big ends) anyway.

I think we tend to forget in this day and age that it is not so long ago that any engine which had been "round the clock" even once without a major overhaul was considered exceptional. Nowadays two or three times round (especially on stuff like BMW and Mercedes) is not even worthy of mention.
Which Oil? - Avant
Forgive the pedantry, but just for the record the Minor 1000 came in in 1956 with 948 cc. The 1098 cc version of the venerable A-series came with the Morris 1100 in 1962 and must have gone into the Minor around then.

Wasn't there a 998 cc version that went into the original Mini Cooper (original Mini had 848 cc) and then into the Mini 1000 in the late 1960s?

After all that, I have no idea about the engine oil except for a memory of always using 20/50 in my MG 1100 (1966, owned from new by my father and then by me).
the first mini cooper was the 997 , based on the 848 motor , then they brought out the 998 , that was a lot stronger , as i said in my posting above , a economical 20/50 , which after all BMC developed? , would do nice in this engine , along with the later screw on filter.

having said that , my father had 4 x minors , 2 x austin a35s , cortina mk 1 2 and 3 and viva,s and i was involved in rallying and motorsport in the 70s , all oil was free from the local tech collage my father tought at , rottella 30 , "if its good enought for the council busses , the bin wagins and the mayors rolls " " its good enough for a piggin mini"

he was right?
PS: the mini/1100 (transverse) used a different engine block to the humble minor , the minor engine in its lifetime went on to fuel the midget , and even the marina (ok in 1.3guise) , but the blocks are not interchangable (look at the filter housing?)
Which Oil? - Lygonos
Where exactly do you expect this crud to accumulate? <<

Generally where the oil is NOT being pushed along under pressure - that's why sludge forms on components rather than in galleries/on bearings.

Eventually if there is enough sludge it will choke these too.

If, however, formed deposits are dispersed as little fragments, these will then go around the engine, and risk blocking the previously clear oilways.

Which Oil? - nick
I think the non-detergent oil idea would be true if the car was dragged out of a barn where it has sat since the sixties. If it's been in regular use all it's life then it is highly likely it has had everyday oil in it, which for many years means detergent oil. I also use Morris oils, a 15/50 as already mentioned, but it meets modern specifications so presumably employs detergents.
I have owned many older cars over the years and still run cars from 1953, 1964 and 1968. All have been fine on modern oils as long as the viscocity is high enough, though interestingly my 1953 car originally specified a 10/30! It now gets 15/50 and is fine. All get regular oil and filter changes, all with spin-on filter conversions, and I've never had an oil-related engine failure (touch wood!).
Which Oil? - drbe
>>However The car hasn't been re-engined with a later version -
>>to the best of my knowledge.

Er........... on the other hand, perhaps it has??

The log book difinitely says 1960.

I am assured by people who seem to know what they are talking about that it is a 1098cc engine.

If BMC didn't start putting 1098 engines into Minors until 1962, then it must be a re-engined version?

Unless, of course, there is yet another explanation?

Edited by drbe on 12/08/2009 at 10:07

can you provide us with the first few didgets of the engine number?
@Avant

absolutely right about the earlier "A" series being 948 - not 998 as I wrote above.

Regarding the 948 to 1098 change-over, during 1962:

chassis 946761 to 990289 (17th September end of 948 production)
chassis 990290 to 1005482 (17th Sptember onwards, 1098 prouction).

The Minor Millions (1000000 to 10000349) were built ahead of production number allocation in 1960 along with 790007 to 886160.

The earliest lube info I have so far (early Haynes) for engine and gearbox is in this range:
S.A.E 30, 20W/30, 20W/50
with a 3K service interval.

I should have more original information somewhere, but as witnessed by my mistake with remembering the engine capacity, my head doesn't work reliably these days.

FWIW the 948 and 1098 "A" series engines are virtually identical externally, but the (originally fitted) airfilter assembly is out to the right beyond the carb on 1098, whereas the 948 had a big round filter on top.

Engine number prefixes 9M or 10M for 948 or 1098
Which Oil? - tunacat
In the 80s I ran my 1965 1098cc Minor for years on Duckhams Hypergrade, which was 15W-50, without problems.

BTW, it certainly was chuckable on crossplies - I could drift it on opposite lock all the way round a local cloverleaf off-ramp, in the dry.
I changed to radials after a similar, but UNintended, 'not-really-pointing-the-right-way' episode on a large 3-lane roundabout that was only slightly damp.
These undoubtedly gave greater mechanical grip, but I was dismayed to find that the rear of the car would now only go round that same off-ramp in a series of grip-hop-grip-hops, feeling like it was on the point of toppling over.

Off-topic, I've half a mind that this kind of thing is a factor in the surprising number of teenagers getting killed we hear about - modern tyres (on a modern FWD car with feel-less electric PAS) have so much grip that when they do eventually let go, the car is travelling at a much higher speed.
Which Oil? - drbe
the first few didgets of the engine number?

>>

10MA-U-H 133***
>>10MA-U-H 133***

which does indeed make it 1098.

Do you _really know_ all the history of a car which is nearly 50 years old?

We have a Minor 1000 which is "only" 44 years old, and I don't know what its original owner did to it in its first 11 years and 39K miles, anymore than I know everything my FIL did to it while he was its custodian for nearly 20 years.
Which Oil? - drbe
>> Do you _really know_ all the history of a car which is nearly 50 years
old?

No I don't. Or was that intended to be a rhetorical question?

Edited by drbe on 12/08/2009 at 14:30

I suppose it wasn't directly aimed at you, but whoever it is that insists the engine is original in a 1960 Minor 1000.

>>I recently purchased a Morris Minor as a 'fun' car.
>>It's a 1098cc engine of, I think 1960 vintage.

>However, The car hasn't been re-engined with a later version -
>to the best of my knowledge.

Time for my medication, I think
Which Oil? - perro
Just stick some Castrol 20/50 in the critter & change it twice a year -
www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?c...2
>>20/50

Why use this horrid thick oil? There's no need for it.

Which Oil? - perro
>>> Why use this horrid thick oil? There's no need for it. <<<

Well, that's what *I* would use in any 20 year old + 'cooking' engine.
as per post 8:

20-50 oil was developed by austin-morris (BLMC) especially for the new mini released in 1959.

this oil was different to the previously used oils , because it had to lubricate the gearbox and diff , on the new transverse engine.

I have several old brit motorcycles , that WERE supposed to be run on the older 30sae ,

If you collect the owners manuals / and or haynes manuals for the bikes (all production stopped in the early 70s) , you will see the mfg were recommending 20-50 at the end.

I have no problems with using this , and actually buy my oils from supermarkets (£4.99 - £5.99 a GALLON)

modern oils , INC supermarket oils are far better in terms of protection , than oils from the 50s or 60s.

if yours is an earlier car , it might just have a paper filter , that is a pain to change , and might be getting rare now , the later mini/allegro/marina etc (a series) had a screw on filter , and changing the oil was easier/cleaner , there are plenty of those about , 2 bolts and a gsk

hope this helps

i,m now singing a song in my head :

Round, like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel.
Never ending or beginning,
On an ever spinning wheel
Like a snowball down a mountain
Or a carnaval balloon
Like a carousell that's turning
Running rings around the moon

Like a clock whose hands are sweeping
Past the minutes on it's face
And the world is like an apple
Whirling silently in space
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind

Like a tunnel that you follow
To a tunnel of it's own
Down a hollow to a cavern
Where the sun has never shone
Like a door that keeps revolving
In a half forgotten dream
Or the ripples from a pebble
Someone tosses in a stream.

Like a clock whose hands are sweeping
Past the minutes on it's face
And the world is like an apple
Whirling silently in space
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind

because we have come full circle on this one
Which Oil? - perro
Re: Windmills of your mind ...

Great song freddy, I remember the late 60's version by Jose Felatio
One verse went -

"Keys that jingle in your pocket
Words that jangle in your head
Why did summer go so quickly?
was it something that you said?

I used to see it as "Is the jingle in your pocket, Worth the jangle in your head?
I think my version is more apt don't you think :)
agreed , happy dayz !!

on a car thread tho ,,

still think supermarket qlty 20/50 is a better oil than the 30sae used in the 60s
still think supermarket qlty 20/50 is a better oil than the 30sae used in the
60s

Hear Hear, its lasted the best part of 50 years using 20/50, I dont see why it wont last the next 50 using the same.....

Now.. IF you rebuild it to the latest spec's (A+) then.....'better' oil would be worth while.......
Owning several "classic" brit motorcycles , I have tried all the "expensive" "classic" oils over a good number of miles , and found no difference using the cheaper supermarket types.(20/50)

The only time I stay ith the "classic" oils is bikes that have a gearbox/wet clutch , as the plates stick with multigrades.

do you know that for the last 20 - 30 yrs , most chaincases ( containing the primary drive and clutch) , the recomendation has to use ATF instead of the origional 20sae?
Which Oil? - nick
Remember also that oil seals on older engines were often marginal when new. The front crankshaft 'seal' was often just a scroll that pushed the oil back when the engine was running. Using a thin oil is a good way to rustproof the underside.
as per my post above , using synthetic in a merc 608 box van , it leaked out of every oriface ,
>>for the new mini released in 1959.

But, we aren't talking about a Mini - or any other BMC car with a gearbox in its sump. The heavy 50 weight was needed to protect the gears.

There's no need at all to use this horrid thick oil in a Minor's A series engine.

The front oil seal on a Minor is not a scroll type seal.

What's the engineering feature of a A+ engine which suddenly allows a less prehistoric, less treacly oil to be used?

What's the engineering feature of a A+ engine which suddenly allows a less prehistoric less
treacly oil to be used?

Oh come on NC... the A+ was an improved version of the long lived A series, and IIRC (and Im sure I do) many (if not all) of the bearings inside the A+ used a different material, and they were built to closer tolerances.

A quote from you earlier in the thread.
'Hang on - I already know the answer - the engines which were produced for years and years tended to have much longer lives when filled with modern oils (in this context, post mid 1980's spec, API SG and newer). Compare how long Ford Pintos lasted when fitted in Sierras to when fitted in Cortinas, etc, etc.'

Again there were internal differences in the early and late versions of the Pinto engine.
the main weak spot of the Pinto, was of course the camshaft spray bar, which blocked up, normally due to a lack of oil changes and / or short journeys. (mayonnaising up)

>>the A+ was an improved version of the long lived A series,

The main differences were that the block was stiffened, the tappet chest covers were deleted, and the timing chain tensioner was (finally!) updated. In terms of materials and "tolerances" I don't think there was any step change that would suddenly mandate a change in oil requirements for the engine.

Yes, spray bars were improved on pinto engines, but, as I'm sure you're well aware, spray bar and camshaft failures were not the only failures of pintos. Actually, one could argue that the spray bar problems were actually a lubrication failure that would probably never have come to light had a more suitable oil been available at the time.

Which Oil? - nick
>>The front oil seal on a Minor is not a scroll type seal

I never said it was. I was making a point about many older engines in general. Most A series engines leak. They will leak more with a thinner oil. A 50 weight oil isn't 'horrid', a rather subjective term for an oil.

Bored with this now. Bye bye.
Which Oil? - perro
I've always been a 'Castrol man' - GTX in the old days ... I've tried many other oils at times
- BP Visco Static, Valveoline, Mobil, Duckhams etc., etc., etc. ... but I've always gone back to Castrol.
I had a Toyota Hiace once and thought I'd 'give it the best' with some Mobil 1 ... the noise from the engine next morning made me replace it mucho pronto with 'old faithful'.
I had a VW Transporter once, 2.1 fuel injected flat 4 lump, I had it from new & always fed it GTX, one day I had a momentary lapse of reason and put in some Duckhams Hypergrade -
the hydraulic tappets just wouldn't shuddup next morning - until I replaced the oil with ...!
I used to get my old Volvo 240 GLT serviced at a garage and whenever I got the critter back, the oil light would stay on far too long from cold, til I replaced the Vauxhall oil they used with ...! + a *Volvo* oil filter.
My 32 incher cost me £850, ya can now get a 32" LCD £249 ... the same goes with supermarket oil (IMO) - you gets what you pays for.
>>I never said it was.

I didn't say that you had said it was. I was simply saying that it wasn't.

Which Oil? - bell boy
seeing as the engine isnt newly rebuit from what i read and having used more modern oils in older engines only to find i get piston blow by by doing it
im a 20/50 man im afraid
change it twice a year to stop all the arrceeds in it doing their worst,dont rev the engine when cold and give it a decent run once a month and the old a series will outlive us all
Minor 1960 1100cc - What Oil should I use? - oldwrigley

It's a very old thread but the best oil for the A Series engine is

10w-30 API SF Mineral oil

Minor 1960 1100cc - What Oil should I use? - thunderbird

There are several companies out there who manufacture oils for classics with the necessary additives needed for older materials and manufacturing techniques. Millers are just one.

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive/classic-engine-oil.asp

Would be very surprised if 10w30 was the oil for an A series engine. Its only been during the last 20 years when manufacturers have been specifying anything as thin as that.

Minor 1960 1100cc - What Oil should I use? - RT

Would be very surprised if 10w30 was the oil for an A series engine. Its only been during the last 20 years when manufacturers have been specifying anything as thin as that.

+ 1

At the bearing tolerances to which the A-series, and all others of that era, were designed and built to, a "heavy" weight of oil is needed just to stay in the bearings.

And in the '90s, most engines still needed 40 oils.

Modern low viscosity oils need high specifications to "stay in grade" - a 10W-30 mineral oil would be down to a 5W-20 in no time.

Minor 1960 1100cc - What Oil should I use? - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:...""Personally I'd log on to a Moggy Forum""

Why would you log on to a Morgan forum to find out about oil for a Morris Minor? ;)

Minor 1960 1100cc - What Oil should I use? - Avant

A moggy forum should be a help with feline problems.

Seriously, I remember using 20/50 oil in a 1966 MG 1100 and a 1971 MG 1300, when those cars were new. Also, the final poster in 2009, Bellboy, I think was an experienced mechanic.

Whether you can still get 20/50 is another matter.

Out of interest, is there anyone on the forum who drives a car with an A-series engine?

Edited by Avant on 18/12/2012 at 22:28

Minor 1960 1100cc - What Oil should I use? - thunderbird

Whether you can still get 20/50 is another matter.

If you took time to look at the link in my previous posting the answer to that would be obvious.

I do

A 1959 Austin A35

Minor 1960 1100cc - What Oil should I use? - unthrottled

At the bearing tolerances to which the A-series, and all others of that era, were designed and built to, a "heavy" weight of oil is needed just to stay in the bearings.

This is true. However, 10 grade oil is far more viscous at 20C than 50 grade is at 80C. So, often there is an advantage to substituting a lower Winter grade, as long as the high temperature viscosity is maintained.

Multigrade oils use a basestock that corrosponds to the winter rating, but use viscosity extenders to reduce the rate of temperature related viscosity loss. So a 0W-40 oil is fundamentally a 0 grade oil, but the viscisity only reduces to that a 40 grade oil at 100C.

The viscosity is still reduced by several orders of magnitude as it warms up, but it is less than that of monograde oils.

Unfortunately, multiweight oils aren't quite as magic as they seem. Under very high pressures, they can suddenly lose viscosity and hence film strength.

Gears impose very high loads on oils...

Detroit's two stroke diesel engines were also unable to run on multigrade oils. The OEM spec was 40 grade in summer, 30 grade in winter-and they meant it.

Minor 1960 1100cc - What Oil should I use? - RT

This is true. However, 10 grade oil is far more viscous at 20C than 50 grade is at 80C. So, often there is an advantage to substituting a lower Winter grade, as long as the high temperature viscosity is maintained.

I agree totally - nowadays I routinely run my cars with the lowest available winter grade while maintaining the hot grade as recommended - currently 0W-30 instead of 5W-30 and on previous Subaru and Vauxhalls using 0W-40 instead of 10W-40 - engine life and emissions having been exceptionally good.

semi correct

multigrade oils purpose are to solve the problem of oil being too thick when it gets cold

modern multigrade mineral oils are highly refined to reduce this cold temp thickening and so less polymers (viscosity index improvers) are needed

modern multigrade synthetic oils don't thicken anything like as much as their mineral counterparts and so even less VII's are needed

VII's are like little polymer coils that unravel when they get warm and it's these that shear, they can strectch out between the rings and liners temporarily dropping viscosity but not as much as you would think.

Some engine desiners will design wide cold temp bearing tolerances to accomodate the very thick cold temp viscosity of a monograde oil but these tolerances cleverly reduce as engine and oil warm up, also roller bearing cranks do not like multigrade oils as a rule.

The A Series is suitable for multigrade oils

The primary oil for the A Series when it was introduced was SAE 30 so the bearing tolerances on the A Series are designed to run at operating temperature with an SAE 30 oil in it. This provides the correct oil flow and pressure for the engine when it's hot, a 10w-30 will just flow faster when its cold.

The oil i use in my Austin A35 is Shell Harvella T 10w-30 which is a universal tractor oil with an API rating of SF, it's a very well engineered oil so will stay in grade throughout the small oci that historic engines require.

My data comes from a company called Autodata who get their info from the vehicle manufaturers. I have the Austin Healey Sprite/MG Midget workshop manual and in there it says 20w-50 but Autodata's latest data before the demise of BMC/BL/MG Rover was 10w-30 API SF so was obvioulsy modified as the engineers got a better understanding of lubrication with multigrade oils as time went on.

Minor 1960 1100cc - What Oil should I use? - nortones2

According to Motor road test annual published 1966 (50 road tests), 1098cc Minor Traveller required 6.5 pints of SAE 10w/30. Mini Cooper 998cc: 8.5 pints SAE 10w/30 (sump and gearbox) Jag E type 4.2 SAE 30 or Shell 10/40.

Pretty well the same in the vehicles I checked in the annual, including BMW 2000TI SAE 30 or SAE 10w/30 below 0 deg. C. Exceptions: Morris 1800 20w/40, Alfa Romeo Giulia 20w/40. Audi 1696cc: SAE 10/20 (maybe error?) Rover-BRM gas turbine: SAE 10 Shell Rotella :)

Quite a range of viscosities, but the majority seem to be 10w/30. Couldn't find one 20w/50.

Minor 1960 1100cc - What Oil should I use? - skidpan

Every car I owned up until the early 80's (which included Mini's with A series engines) used 20w/50, later cars used 15w/40, then 10w/40 etc. Now our cars are either 0w/30 or 5w/30.

Back in the 60's and 70's most people used Castrol GTX or Duckhams "Q" which were 20w/50 grade with the occational Shell, Regent or BP splashed in.

In the 60's dads Fords, Roots, Vauxhalls etc all used 20w/50.

Looking at the info above the second paragraph refers to "below 0 deg", does this also apply to the first paragraph.

Minor 1960 1100cc - What Oil should I use? - nortones2

Taken verbatim from the maintenance sections of the reports. No low temperature recommendation except where stated.

It's all about oil flow

My Austin A35 workshop manual states that the minimum idle pressure should be 15psi and normal running pressure (4000 rpm) is at 60psi

The oil pressure relief valve opens on my engine at about 65psi so after that any extra oil is just getting dumped back into the sump.

So if i've got 65 psi at 2000 rpm (which i do with a 20w-50) it means from 2000rpm to 6000 rpm i am getting no extra oil going to any bearing in the engine

As a rule you want the thinnest oil possible to maintain the manufacturers operating pressures so you are getting as much oil flow as possible whilst maintaining the correct pressure (resistance to flow), in racing 10psi per 1000 revs is a general guide for choosing the correct viscosity.

When the A Series first came out the factory fill was SAE 30 mineral oil

10w-30 is just flows better when cold

20w-50 was designed to protect the gearboxes on Mini's which share the engine oil with the gearbox.

10w-30 was widely recommended by manufaturers throughout the 60's, 70's and 80's but most garages and owners, ignorant of manufaturers specifiations only stocked and thus bought 20w-50.