yellowing headlight - zookeeper
during my cars MOT last may the examiner mentioned the fact that the headlights had started to yellow, something to do with the plastic material and the heat from the bulbs...has any one here had any similar experience with such matters?
yellowing headlight - bathtub tom
There's a thread here somewhere about polishing headlamp lenses. Do a search, you've nothing to lose but some old yellow headlamps. ;>)
thanks for the reply bt, my headlamps are sealed units so polishing may be a problem, seen a pair on flea bay 30 notes a piece ...il keep looking..thanks
yellowing headlight - rtj70
Eh... sealed units but you polish the outside. Suggest you look at the link at least.
hang on...the yellowing is on the inside of the sealed unit... not the outside, my question was if any one had a similar problem thats all
yellowing headlight - rtj70
Sorry Zoekeeper - really I am. If the yellowing is inside then a new light unit (or two) might be needed.

Rob
yellowing headlight - Robin Reliant
As I commented on the other thread, the inner lens on my o/s Mondeo headlight has yellowed badly and it only just scraped through the MoT last year. I am going to have a go at cleaning it up tomorrow.
yellowing headlight - bell boy
you can buy new lenses for mk1 mondeos or you could,they arent worth trying to get right once they have tarnished
you can buy new lenses for mk1 mondeos or you could they arent worth trying
to get right once they have tarnished

You certainly can, bell boy. £33+VAT for a little square of plastic!
yellowing headlight - bell boy
i didnt pay that for new headlights
ive an idea RR , would changing to more powerful headlight bulbs mask the yellowing effect for MOT purposes? how does the MOT headlight tester actually test the yellowing, any one know?
ive an idea RR would changing to more powerful headlight bulbs mask the yellowing effect
for MOT purposes? how does the MOT headlight tester actually test the yellowing any one
know?

I think they go by the beam pattern when they check the alignment. That would show whether output is reduced.

I would think using a more powerful bulb might make the situation worse with a plastic lens. I got rid of most of the yellowing on mine today using toothpaste and an old brush.