97 1.9TD starting problems-starts then stops - ludlowbadboy
Hi,

I have a peugeot 306 meridian 1.9 TD it has always been a pretty good starter except when it starts it does chuck out a bit of smelly grey/white smoke though i am not sure if this is a sign of the current problem.

my problem is when i start the car from cold it turns over and fires up it will then rev fine breifly but when the revs drop the engine will stall, it dosent splutter it just sort of fades out. Once this has happened once it takes a while before you can get it to turn over properly again and will eventually fire up after repeated attempts.

any ideas??

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/08/2009 at 13:29

97 1.9 starting problems-starts then stops - andrewuwe
Hmmm. It sounds like you are using the accelerator to get it to start...you say "revs drop" implying that you had your foot down?
Try using a different start procedure. Turn key on ready to start, wait for glowplug light to go out, start car with no accelerator pressed.

On the other hand, it most likely an air leak in the fuel supply. Is it worse in the morning, after being letf for a day?
97 1.9 starting problems-starts then stops - madf
Almost certainly a leak in teh plastic fuel return pipes.. check for bubbles and pump the fuel filer lever. If not that, a leak in the fuel pump top.
97 1.9 starting problems-starts then stops - Peter.N.
I would agree, you have air entering the system somewhere. I think your fuel primer is probably a rubber bulb, looks like the old blood pressure tester inflaters, pump this until it goes hard before you try and start, if its OK then - you have an air leak.