Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - smokie
Three lane motorway, upcoming contraflow.

Do you move to the outside to be in the lane which will cross the central reservation and become the contraflow lane or do you stay in the two (probably narrower) lanes on the original carriageway?

Mixed experiences here, I once got stuck for ages (and I mean ages) behind a broken down or crashed vehicle in the contraflow lane, so I usually avoid them. But it often seems to go quicker, despite only being one lane, which I think is due to narrower lanes on the other two, and all the trucks.
Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - the swiss tony
I normally use lane 2... I feel safer on the correct side of the reservation, even with the concrete dividers.
Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - merlin
I avoid crossing over the central reservation. It's much safer to stay behind the crash barriers and avoids holdups caused by any break down in the single cross over lane.

Edited by merlin on 06/08/2009 at 01:06

Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - Altea Ego
I use the two lane bit. If something happens the traffic can normally get round it. If something happens in the one lane bit it gums up very quickly and you are there for hours.
Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - Happy Blue!
I agree - but is probably the reason why the single lane usually goes faster!
Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - pmh3
To reduce the possibility of being hit by a 'crossover ' vehicle, I try to ensure that I am following a heavily laden lorry. That can clear the path for me! But try to ensure that I have cars behind me to increase the rear crumple zone - I do not want to be the meat in a lorry sandwich.
Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - maz64
I agree - but is probably the reason why the single lane usually goes faster!

I've found that's only true if I'm not in it.
Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - Stuartli
Watch the driver of the Rover in the Channel 4 between programmes link - you can see the skid marks very clearly as he/she beats a path to the left hand lanes right at the death..:-)
Watch the driver of the Rover

Isn't it a big-ish Merc?
I'm pretty sure it's a Rover.
Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - b308
Tend to stick to the 2 lane bit for the same reasons as before - in these days of average speed cameras I've found that there's very little gain in using the single lane.
Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - ablandy
the skid marks in the ad have been added in post production - its hardly braking!

I realise that it's a setup - just as with all the inter-programme links that eventually feature a figure 4...:-)
Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - SteVee
I thought it was a mercedes. It's obviously a setup - the car almost certainly has ABS and wouldn't lock up like that.

Most contra-flows have speed cameras, so I would tend to sit in the inside lane; as long as I'm not hemmed in by trucks - then I'd go into lane 2. I haven't been through the contra-flow / lane3 lane for some time.

On the bike, I'd take the two lane / left hand lanes as I'd have more chance to filter - should the need arise (I wouldn't filter if the traffic was moving at anything like 50).

I'm most amused by the general rush for lane 3 as people see the NSL sign in the distance
I thought it was a mercedes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HocOOtNbNE

Not conclusive, but I still think it's a Merc. It's well done though - I'd never thought it was faked before.
My apologies - seen it tonight at 5pm on the main TV and it does appear to be a Merc judging by the rear lights.
Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - the swiss tony
Certainly a Merc.. either a C class W203, or IMO more likely S class W220... looking at the rear lights, my moneys on the W220....
Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - Mapmaker
2-lane bit. Much safer for head-on collisions. Though in the days when speed limit was 40mph not 50, worried me much less.

Also less likely to be completely stuck in event of breakdown.
Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - boxsterboy
It's a pre-facelift Merc W203 saloon in, I believe cubanite silver. But why the skid marks - they all have ABS as standard? (Answer - it's a made-up bit of film. The junction signage gives it away).

Back to the thread. Lane 1 or 2 for me, never 3.
Which lane do you take in a contraflow? - Sofa Spud
I take the wrong lane in a contraflow, it's more fun:)))

But seriously, I stay on the main bit on the 'correct' carriageway if possible.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 07/08/2009 at 22:26