stopped by police taking pics of my car[Read Only] - tack
I took delivery of a new camera this morning and decided to take it to a local picturesque village to try it out. I took some pics of some pretty cottages, a church, some hanging baskets, a boot scraper, an old victoria distance sign saying "London 26 miles", etc. Then I drove my car to a country lane, found a nice spot and took some pics of my car. I do that whenever I get a new car to keep in my memories folder. Did I tell you I had a new Golf Mk6?

I was approached by a couple of PCSO's in a Smart Car (there is a joke there somewhere, but I won't go for it)

"What are you up to"
"Taking pictures"
"Why"
"Well, why not"
"We saw you in the village takings pictures"
"Yes, well, it's a pretty village.....for Essex"
"What were you taking pictures of"
"I can show you if you like"
"No thanks, Why are you taking pictures of the car"
"It's mine, it's new ........it's a bit like taking pics of a new grandchild, except this is my baby"
"OK"
I got a distinct "Well, don't do it again" look. Then they drove off.

Being an ex-cop I was rather bemused by the whole episode, mimsing along the high street of a nice village taking pics of nice villagey things and my car.......and I get stopped by a couple of plastics!

Crikey, what must it be like in York or Harrogate? The cops/plastics must be run off their size 11's asking people why they are taking photos.

Now, if I was hanging around a playground taking pics, or on a bench where a group of children were playing, I would understand. But they didn't ask for my details nor did they want to look at my pics.

I laughed like a drain for hours after, it was so bizarre. I phoned everyone in my address book and told them..............they all just tutted in a resigned way.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/08/2009 at 11:23

stopped by police taking pics of my car - Rattle
I would complain to the police force and threaten selling thr story to the media. These civies cannot go around thinking they own the police just because they work for the police.

stopped by police taking pics of my car - bell boy
not a lot to say really is there
apart from unbelievable
what next?
your breathing too heavy sir could you only breathe in on every second pavement crack
stopped by police taking pics of my car - jbif
You were lucky not to get arrested, taken to the nick and get fingerprinted, dna etc.

www.medwayeyes.co.uk/rightsandwrongs
monaxle.com/2009/07/08/section-44-in-chatham-high-.../
www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/22/kent_police/
This is just the latest in a long line of PR disasters that have dogged police forces over the last 12 months, with tourists, schoolboys and passers-by all subject to arrest for the heinous offence of pursuing their hobby. Each incident is followed by much police hand-wringing, and statements to the effect that these are one-offs: the fault of over-zealous individual officers.

monaxle.com/2009/07/20/the-primary-concern-is-alwa.../
www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/15/tall_photographer.../

Medway Photo Walk on Saturday 15th August: Inspired by recent events, Medway Eyes is planning a meet up and photo walk in Chatham on August 15th. An open invitation has been issued to photographers and friends, and both local and national press are expected to attend. This is not a protest, but we will be happy to speak on the subjects of photographers' rights and the value of social documentary photography whilst the group assembles.
We will be meeting up at 11:00am at a spot to be advised in due course. Thereafter, we will disperse into smaller groups and go our separate ways throughout Medway, allowing photographers to follow their eyes, rather than a prescribed route. We invite those attending to post their photos of the day in the Medway Towns Group pool on Flickr, and to share their stories of the day in a special discussion thread.

Edited by jbif on 05/08/2009 at 22:34

stopped by police taking pics of my car - Enteratu Moteurs
Good on them for having the interest and commitment to protect the village they are assigned to.
We can`t have it both ways - bleating about crime and then knocking people who are doing their best to protect from it - and likely following a directive from the Government to look for certain indicators of risk from terrorism.

likely following a directive from the Government to look for certain indicators of risk from terrorism >>

eh?

www.met.police.uk/about/photography.htm
".....
Freedom to photograph/ film
Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel.

Terrorism Act 2000
Photography and Section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000

The Terrorism Act 2000 does not prohibit people from taking photographs or digital images in an area where an authority under section 44 is in place. ...
etc. etc.

Edited by jbif on 05/08/2009 at 22:47

well said jbif
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Robin Reliant
Good on them for having the interest and commitment to protect the village they are
assigned to.
We can`t have it both ways - bleating about crime and then knocking people who
are doing their best to protect from it - and likely following a directive from
the Government to look for certain indicators of risk from terrorism.

And how would taking photos of your own car or the sights in a village constitute a threat to the rest of us law abiding citizens?
stopped by police taking pics of my car - tack
"Good on them for having the interest and commitment to protect the village they are assigned to"

Well, of course, taking pictures of a pubs hanging baskets in full bloom, an old boot scraper, an old distance sign, a church, a war memorial, a flower bed, some interesting old georgian frontages, a Victorian pillar box, a pub sign, ..........all constitute suspicious behaviour?

I'd like to think proper Essex rozzers would not have taken any notice. There is such a thing as common sense, and using immense powers judiciously.
"why don't I complain"?

To be honest, as an ex cop, it is too ingrainedin me to do so. Having policed in the "Life on Mars" era in the East End of london, I suppose I cannot complain too much. I suppose I could have tied the plastics up in knots asking them their powers etc, but I was so bemused I couldn't be bothered. It was obviously a day where nothing had happened in a sleepy village and I was the Mr Innocent Mimser who looked like he could be picked on without too much of a fight.

I am still shaking my head in wonder, must stop it now.
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Kevin
>To be honest, as an ex cop, it is too ingrainedin me to do so.

Shame on you tack.

If you don't make a complaint they won't get the re-education they obviously need. You are deliberately obstructing their opportunities for advancement and could, no doubt, be held liable for loss of earnings and psychological trauma.

Kevin...
stopped by police taking pics of my car - woodster
I can't disagree with anything Tack has said on this issue, and indeed there is no privacy law in the UK and no offence of taking photos. BUT, I feel compelled to comment on Monaxle's little debacle. For absolute clarity: he was detained in the rear of a Police car and asked for his personal details which he declined to give. He was not taken to a station, fingerprinted, DNA'd et al. Whilst that is his right to decline details, perhaps officers should let every person go who declines to assist. None of us were there, and it may well be that his behaviour and response to the officers caused a little suspicion.

I can imagine the responses to my thoughts but if we seek to raise awareness amongst the population about potential hostile reconnaissance activity we are likely to get a few over the top responses. Surely this is preferable to the other end of the scale?
He was not taken to a station, fingerprinted, DNA'd et al. >>

woodster: you may care to research these incidents:

1. Andrew Carter - was arrested and bundled into the van ... He was held in a police cell for five hours before being released on bail at midnight. [motoring connection - he was photographing "a police van ignore no-entry signs to reverse up a one-way street to reach a chip shop".

2. Pericles Antoniou was on his way to a photo exhibition at the Tate Modern Gallery when he started taking photos of other people on the underground. British Transport Police arrested him, took him into custody, and later charged him with offences under the Public Order Act 1986 s.5, which suggests they considered he was using "threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour". According to Antoniou's account, the police held him overnight and refused to allow him access to legal advice or to communicate with anyone outside the police station. According to a spokesman for British Transport Police, the arrest was in connection with the taking of the photographs, rather than any altercation with officers after the event.

3. www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/23/police_photograph.../

4. www.epuk.org/News/818/police-officer-forced-photog...s
has a list at the bottom of people arrested and some even taken to court.

5. Fabian Sabbara, a schoolboy was held as a terrorist suspect by police support officers - for taking photographs of a railway station on a geography field trip.
After the incident, his mother Clare and father Felix contacted police to remove any record of the incident against their son's name - but were told it had to remain in place for six years. Scotland Yard have since wiped the record from their database.

stopped by police taking pics of my car - Stuartli
>>..there is no privacy law in the UK and no offence of taking photos..>>

Actually that's not correct. See:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7888301.stm

In fact one of our local news websites blanks off police officers' faces if they are photographed at an accident scene or similar incidents.
Here's one news story posted today, giving an example of police officers' faces being blanked out:

tinyurl.com/mvxmao
stopped by police taking pics of my car - martint123
In fact one of our local news websites blanks off police officers' faces if they
are photographed at an accident scene or similar incidents.

From the metplod site recently tweaked....

Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel.
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Lud
police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel.

Perhaps so, but power grows from the barrel of a gun (or in this case the business end of a baton).

One carnival, well oiled I admit, I went out with a camera when lots of plod in riot gear were manoeuvring provocatively in my street, on my block, almost certainly for no good reason. Certainly the 'revellers', as the press calls people at carnival, were angry with the police.

They shone powerful lights in my face and one detached himself from the line and chased me about. In the heat of the moment, plod can be a bit of a law unto himself. I don't always blame him for it, but I observe that it is often so.
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Waino
Shotguns, knives, cameras ....... all dangerous weapons that should be banned!

Unfortunately, this wretched government doesn't know where to stop.
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Mr.Tee43
Motoring Link.

It says on the side of our local police cars,

"Protecting and serving the community"

I could ask who they were protecting and serving when policing the protests where an unfortunate innocent man died, but feel it inappropriate on a motoring forum,

so I won't !
stopped by police taking pics of my car - bathtub tom
I wonder if anyone 'sensitive' lived nearby?

stopped by police taking pics of my car - Toyota Red
The best policy regarding police is, as always, do everything you can to stay out of their way unless you know the officer personally. Simple as that. Your 'rights' mean nowt if knacker thinks you're up to something, however mundane/legal it actually is.

My brother was drawing the lanscape in his sketch book in a public park some years ago, there was a playground at the other side of the pond, and two officers approached him demanding to see the contents of the book!
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Westpig
some of this has a most tenuous motoring link...shouldn't you be posting on other forums?
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Pugugly
Tack you have mail !
stopped by police taking pics of my car - L'escargot
I phoned everyone
in my address book .........

I'd have saved my money for better things, and promptly forgotten about the whole incident.

Edited by L'escargot on 06/08/2009 at 10:19

stopped by police taking pics of my car - maz64
Playing devil's advocate, I guess taking all those pictures could at least be described as unusual behaviour (nothing wrong with it of course), and the PCSOs might just have been curious - probably a good thing in their job.

It would have been different if they'd confiscated the camera or locked you up - just unfortunate about the 'don't do it again' impression they gave (perhaps unintentionally?).
stopped by police taking pics of my car - b308
Another case of damned if they do and damned if they don't....

I take it, Tack, that you don't live in or around the village concerned so I assume that they will not have seen you before so were just satifying themselves that you were ok, which is what a village bobby would have done in the "old days"... I really can't see a problem here, if I lived in that village I'd be pleased that they are around...

Mountain out of a molehill... now where's X to jump on the bandwagon...
Local Neighbourhood Witch might have spragged you. Anway - an anorexic link to motoring here.....
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Optimist
In fact one of our local news websites blanks off police officers' faces if they are photographed at an accident scene or similar incidents. >>

Clear motoring link in the words "accident scene", so I feel it's legitimate to observe that the world has gone mad and if this is the way we're going, police officers should find a way of blanking off their faces when they're in their cars at the lights or on patrol in the high street.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/08/2009 at 13:35

Did you read the link provided?

Would a Mr Plod mask fit the bill?

Sorry about the pun....

Edited by Stuartli on 06/08/2009 at 11:53

stopped by police taking pics of my car - Optimist
Yep. I read the link. I'd say it was a misunderstanding of the law.

Edited by Optimist on 06/08/2009 at 11:54

stopped by police taking pics of my car - ForumNeedsModerating
I'm not sure it's anything to be concerned about really. They're local people who obviously know other locals & you stood out. As someone has said, in less formal days, the village bobby would probably have taken a 'jovial' interest in your activities & you'd have just thought what a friendly copper.

Perhpas the PCSOs weren't so confident & came across as a bit BigBrother-ish. For one, I'd be quite happy to be 'interrogated' in this way - and happy for others to be also.

Not saying anything about your demeanour or intentions Tack, but stopping in a country lane taking pictures of a car might just attract the interest of pro-active PCSOs - I'd certainly look twice if I saw it from a passing car.
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Mr.Tee43
Thin end of an Austin Princess.
stopped by police taking pics of my car - jc2
I was following a "police" Smart car in Essex-foot on brake at traffic lights and then wrong lane at roundabout-holding up all the left turn traffic and then going straight on-rest of the right turn traffic was queuing in the RH lane.Appear to have a high standard of training.
stopped by police taking pics of my car - jc2
Should have made it clear-only two exits from roundabout!!Right fork is effectively straight on.
Stuart - No, sorry, I'm right. There is no privacy law and no law preventing the taking of photographs. The law you mention is conditional - read the text of it. I can quite lawfully come and photograph you coming out of your front door - no offence whatsoever.

The press occluding officers faces is voluntary on their part. They are anticipating, in the case of some officers, the potential for misuse of the picture. Indeed, the press used to photograph officers at airports routinely, when they were there, and keep them on file in order that they might identify the officer involved in a firearms incident at some other time/place. This is because airports have one of the highest concentrations of authorised firearms officers who routinely move policing posts i.e. from airport to ARV work etc. Even if the press didn't hide the officers face I cannot see a successful prosecution resulting because their reason for taking pictures in normal police work wouldn't meet the criteria for the offence you posted.
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Cliff Pope
Aren't they obliged by law to display their numbers?
So presumably one has a right to enquire the name of a numbered policeman, otherwise the number alone would be meaningless.
stopped by police taking pics of my car - GroovyMucker
Seriously - report them. If idiots like this get away with it, they bring the whole system into disrepute.
jc2 - driver training in most forces has been considerably dumbed down. Plus of course, no guarantee that it was Police officers driving. Even if they were, no guarantee that they'd had any formal training. In some forces a short assessment drive can give basic authority for non response driving.
Cliff - No, not obliged by any law to display numbers. And I can't see any 'right' for you to enquire which officer a number belongs to. I'd be equally 'right' to ask why you wanted to know!
stopped by police taking pics of my car - ifithelps
Wrong lane at a roundabout?

Shocking, desperate, it's an outrage - they should be shot at the very least.

seriously woodster
an officer doesnt have to display his /her number?
Not by law.
wife and i are shocked at that
CID and special branch, amongst others, do not display numbers-nobody would question this, for obvious reasons. But they're all cops. Absolutely no law about wearing them. Practice to do so, and most Chief Constables (all?) require officers in uniform to wear them.
thanks woodster
Practice to do so and most Chief Constables (all?) require officers in uniform to wear them.

Only at Constable and Sergeant rank, above that you don't get a number
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Cliff Pope
I thought that was contested at the London riots recently? Policemen unlawfully concealing their numbers?
Don't confuse the complaint (and rightly so) about the officer not wearing numbers, with a requirement at law. There simply isn't one.
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Robin Reliant
Perhaps I'm remembering wrongly, but didn't one or other force go all PeeCee touchy feely a few years back by getting their officers to wear,"Hi, I'm Nigel" name badges or some such rubbish?
by getting their officers to wear "Hi I'm Nigel" name badges or some such rubbish?

Met Police policy is to wear a name badge. Bit of a bummmer if you're called Dave Rumpelstiltskin as you'd be easily found by the bad guys....e.g. voters register and similar, easily found on the 'net....which is the reason the numbers system was introduced in the first place
stopped by police taking pics of my car - FotheringtonThomas
So. If I am upset by a policeman's behaviour, and want to make a complaint, then am I entitled to ask for, and get, his number, and police station?
So. If I am upset by a policeman's behaviour and want to make a complaint
then am I entitled to ask for and get his number and police station?

yes....you'd get a name as well
'Only at Constable and Sergeant rank, above that you don't get a number'

I think you're being pedantic Westpig! We do have numbers above PC/PS, they're just not displayed. I wouldn't be so churlish as to refuse my name in any normal circumstance, with the exception of terrorist related matters, which the law covers, as you know.
I think you're being pedantic Westpig! We do have numbers above PC/PS they're just not displayed.

not here there aren't...nothing pedantic about it, just factual....;-)
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Devolution
unless you were originally stopped under s44 for terrorism act 2000, where a name doesn't have to be given and left off of any stop/search form. or at least that was the case..
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Kevin
>For one, I'd be quite happy to be 'interrogated' in this way - and happy for others to be also.

What a sad place the UK has become when people can be "interrogated" by any cop-wannabee in a uniform for taking pictures of a car in a country lane.

What really, really worries me is that some people are "happy" to accept it.

Kevin...
kevin 100% agree
stopped by police taking pics of my car - Fullchat
The word 'interrogation' is a bit like 'thrown' in a cell - terms often used to over egg the pudding. A way of trying to turn a non event into something apparently more sinister.

No one gets picked up by 4 burly coppers, swung backwards and forwards to the count of 3 and then released. Few people get 'interrogated' like captives do on basic SAS Selection. What does happen though is people get spoken to, questioned or 'have a chat'. Those techniques are basic 'coppering' (even in the case of PCSO's) thats what the public expect of our Police Service, that's their job and that's what they are paid to do. If the discussion is courteous and adult then no harm done. Many sinister activities are uncovered during a 'chat'

I am really sorry if some take exception to that and feel that they are above the eyes of the law. The day we stop talking to people and making inquiries is the day we have totally lost control of the streets.

Edited by Fullchat on 07/08/2009 at 01:18

stopped by police taking pics of my car - ForumNeedsModerating
What a sad place the UK has become when people can be "interrogated" by any cop-wannabee

Perhaps you didn't notice the use of single quotes - which modifies the general meaning, i.e. it wasn't really an interrogation as such - just an enquiring word or two. By the way, to quote me correctly it should be: "... 'interrogated' ... ".

What really, really worries me is that some people are "happy" to accept it

Sorry to use the rather cliched response to this but, if you've got nothing to conceal why would a question or two from those charged with maintaining law & order be something to worry about? I've been spoken to & questioned a few times by police officers in my lifetime & can't remember feeling victimised, hard done-by or having had my 'human rights' violated at all.

In fact I've been a cheeky young so-and-so on a couple of these occasions & feel lucky, in retrospect, this hadn't happened in a shanty town or favella in a less enlightened part of the world.

You can't have effective law & order without someone, somewhere, at sometime being asked what they're doing - and sometimes (or maybe many times) there will be an entirely innocent explanation - as in the OP's situation. To extend the analogy, maybe we should feel aggrieved any time we pass a speed camera, as the implication is that we might be speeding when we're not. Or we should rail against airport searches that imply we might be terrorists, etc. etc.
As the original poster, may I have the last word?

My post was more a social commentary than a complaint, bemusement that a simple pastime such as photography can attract the attention of the forces of the law in a small (and handsome, ergo photogenic) village. If I want to take pics of my car for posterity with a nice backdrop of the rolling Essex countryside, what business is it of the law?
stopped by police taking pics of my car - doctork
I think it is simply a case of over enthusiastic amateurs. When you know that PCSOs get abotu 2 weeks training as opposed to 6 months for a police officer then things like this are bound to happen. When you don't know you just make it up as you go along.
Last word ! Thank you and locked !