02 1.4 damaged sump plug - clewsy01
i was going to chnage the oil the other day after i had service the car (newplugs etc) and then i could not get the sump plug out. The female torx has been rounded on the inside by somebody and as the bolt is thin-ish i really dont want to risk any damage to the sump itself. anybody ideas how to get it off. I have got a new sump plug to go back in so i can completly reck the old one if needed.

michael
02 1.4 damaged sump plug - Number_Cruncher
You could use something like a Footprint or a Stilson on the outer rim of the plug, or, you could elect to simply leave it in place, and use a vacuum pump to remove the oil via the dipstick tube.

I use a Pela vacuum pump to do the oil changes onour cars, one of which is SWMBO's 53 reg Astra 1.6 - it works very well.

02 1.4 damaged sump plug - Victorbox
I've seen it suggested that you can tack weld a conventional nut to old sump plug and use a socket to get it out.

Edited by Victorbox on 04/08/2009 at 14:10

02 1.4 damaged sump plug - TheOilBurner
If the head of the plug protrudes then you could also try carefully chiselling the edge round until it's loosened enough to unscrew by hand. I had to do that once to an old Mondeo 1.8TD a few years back.
02 1.4 damaged sump plug - freman
Is there sufficient space under the sump to use an electric hand drill ? If so it is possible to drill through the sump plug and use a stud-extractor to remove the plug.
It is a one-way ticket of course,if it does not work it will be sump off etc & all it entails.
B.T.W make sure you have a new plug to hand before starting & a receptacle for the oil.
02 1.4 damaged sump plug - topbloke
can you knock the next size up torx (t47 iirc) or an allen key socket into it,next on list is a semi blunt chisel on the edge and a sharp thump or finnally weld a nut on to it, the heat will help, Regards TB