Faded Plastic Bumpers - Dudley
On my Rover 218 (1994, L reg), I treated the bumpers with "Mer" in recent years but they are now all terrible faded blotchy mess. They clean up with some toluene nasty chemicals but this is very slow, and probably dangerous!

What can I use to bring them back to good condition and what should I then use to retain this condition. Any help would be appreciated and tried out! Thanks.
Faded Plastic Bumpers - John Davis
I had this problem and I painted the bumpers with Halfords special plastic bumper paint. Quite soon the paint was flaking and looking almost as bad as the original faded bumper. When I did it again, properly, after reading the instructions on the spray can and using the specific primer, the results were very good and seem to be long lasting.
Faded Plastic Bumpers - Vin {P}
You can try Halfords Interior trim cleaner. Smells like dry cleaning fluid, but very effective.
Thanks folks. I'd rather clean them down to original plastic than put another layer on that Mer junk, so it's off to Halfords!

I can't get the Mer people to reply with any suggestions - doubtless it would mean an admission of a degree of technical failure if they did.
Faded Plastic Bumpers - Fullchat
Autoglym bumper cleaner - superb!!!!!!!

Andrew
Faded Plastic Bumpers - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Agreed.

I know these things..............
Faded Plastic Bumpers - THe Growler
Whatever happened to nice shiny chrome? Even the expensive stuff has cheap color-coded bumpers these days.

Change is inevitable -- progress is optional.
Thanks all for your respnses - gives me some things to try. I appreciate your help. Bye
Faded Plastic Bumpers - Graham
shiney chrome! try land rover galvanised steel!

i had a great discussion with my son about bumpers. can anyone out there answer why cars (tvr chimera is a good example) either have colour co-ordinated bumpers or non at all. so in the slowest of touches the paint will need to be redone and maybe the plastic replaced.

fashion over practicality?
Faded Plastic Bumpers - bogush
And why did (still do?) they put lights in the "bumpers"?

Why not just put the "bumpers" in the boot or on the roof where they will be safe from damage?
Faded Plastic Bumpers - Blue {P}
I think it may be Simoniz who do a back to black can which is like a silicone spray, but it also says it works on faded colour co-ordinated bumpers though...