Ford Focus C-MAX - Colin J
Thinking of p/x my Ford Mondeo Titanium for a C-MAX is there anyone on the forum who could recommend a model and whether petrol or diesel any advise would be most appreciated
Ford Focus C-MAX - Jase
I have the 2.0TDCi Ghia (2005).

I would recommend getting the highest spec facelift model you can with the 2.0TDCi, ideally non DPF model if that is possible.

Good engine. Economical on a run, not very good round town I have found.
Good to drive for a box. Very comfortable.
Bit plasticky inside to be honest. The facelift is perhaps better

Alternatively an S-Max could be considered?
Ford Focus C-MAX - zarqon
We just ( 2 weeks ago) swapped the wife's Jazz for a 1.8 petrol zetec - 12 months old, only 2.5k on the clock. Kids have turned into teenagers and the Jazz was feeling a bit cramped.

Went for petrol as there was a big premium for diesel and we only do about 6k p.a.

It seems to be a very nice car, comfortable, spacious.

Surprised to find manual window winders in the back, other than that well equipped.

So far I thinks its doing about 33mpg, but its very early days.

MPZ
Ford Focus C-MAX - CGNorwich

2.00 TDCI engine gives great performance but mpg will be in the low 30s. My 2005 model was plagued by electrical problems and had more warranty work done than any other vehicle I have owned. Clutch and DMF failed at 30,000 miles. Generally poorly put together. Seats prone to water staining Eats tyres - around 10,000 miles for the fronts. Sliding rear seats very heavy

On the other hand very comfortable and easy to get in and out due to the height of the seats.
Ford Focus C-MAX - Ravenger
I've owned my 1.8TDCi C-Max from new, and I really like it. Didn't really give me any trouble until it broke down just out of warranty with an electrical fault, now (hopefully) fixed.

The petrol versions are very thirsty. Best engine to go for as a compromise between economy and power is the 1.6 TDCi, but avoid the those with a diesel particulate filter (DPF), especially if you're doing lots of short trips.

Avoid the automatic gearbox (prone to failure) and Ghia models with the electronic parking brake (EPB), which can be unreliable and cause early rear brake wear.

The rear middle seat is quite small, so it can be a squeeze width wise for three adults in the back, though there's plenty of leg room.

Good points include excellent driveability - handles more like a car than an MPV, good performance on the diesel models, excellent driving position - very easy to get into and out of, and flexible seating in the back. Remove the rear seats and you've got almost van sized cargo space. The seats do not fold flat into the floor, however.

The instrument panel is unfussy, well laid out with large, clear rev and speedo dials. The rev counter is sensibly marked in single digits x 1000 so you can't confuse it with the speedo.

I'd get another one if I could afford to buy a new car, that or its bigger brother the S-Max.

Edited by Ravenger on 29/07/2009 at 14:34

Ford Focus C-MAX - Colin J
Do you know anything about the Fusion as there is only my wife and myself,my wife is partially disabled and she finds it alot easier getting in and out these kind of cars and do you know what is the largest TDCI engine they put in the Fusion,
Cheers
Ford Focus C-MAX - Ravenger
Not had any real experience with the Fusion, but from I'm led to believe it's just a normal Fiesta with a taller body, and so doesn't handle particularly well. I think you can go up to a 1.6 TDCi.

The C-Max was derived from the Focus, but was extensively re-designed, and so it's really a new vehicle in its own right - in fact Ford have now dropped the 'Focus' prefix from the facelift C-Max.

My wife has a very bad back (slipped discs) and loves our C-Max as she finds it very comfortable and easy to get in and out of. It's the only car we've owned that she enjoys driving, and that's a big complement from her as she tends to treat driving as a chore, rather than (as I do) a pleasure.
Ford Focus C-MAX - NickS
I had a Fusion as a courtesy car in an horrendous mauve colour, and can confirm that it was the worst car I have ever driven. Horrible interior, hugely underpowered (1.4 TDCI) and just a poor excuse for a motor vehicle.

I would have thought some of the new offering from Kia etc, such as the Soul would be much nicer.

Ford Focus C-MAX - cepi
Well just don't get the 1.8 Petrol. It's one of the whorst engines i've ever driven, no pull below 5k RPM, thirsty, etc. Get either Petrol 2.0 or 2.0 TDCI.
Ford Focus C-MAX - R2-CMax
I've run a 2L TDCi on a 54 plate from new for 76000 miles now.

Technical points:
It was the first car on the same platform as the current Focus - not the earlier Mk1
Most of the petrol engines carried over though. As is 1.8L diesel.
1.6 & 2L diesels from the Peugeot-Citroen Partnership - the 2L is not really related to the unit in the old Mondeo. Think the fuel system is from Siemens-VDO (now part of Continental).
Personal experience - I've had two significant problems attributable to the car- thermostat failure at 2k, and crankshaft position sensor at 65k
Common problems are EGR valve (especially older models (pre-55) but that seems to largely sorted now. Some complaints about fuel economy, some complaints about DMF clutch failure - again perhaps relating to cars used in town a lot.

Good points:
Performance from engine - 2000rpm on motorways in 6th and effortless A-road overtaking
Handling/ride compromise is good, ride is towards firm
Economy - Can consistently get over 50mpg (brim to brim, computer says 55-60) on quite a long commute on A-roads and motorways. Does drop off significantly if you do a lot of urban work, or find yourself always "running late".
Driving position & controls - comfortable, sensible, nice big buttons and high mounted stereo so you're not squinting towards the footwell to change the station
Take the seats out and it's a van. Excellent for bicycles too.
Would dispute earlier point about tyres. I've just had a Michelin Primacy HP taken off after more than 30000 miles, entirely on the front of the car. Back tyres have tended to be magnetic, but earlier Contis lasted 23k front and 42k rear.
There's at least 3 Focus and C-Max related websites where you can share experiences and ask for help.

Bad Points:
Road/tyre noise seems a bit higher than some other cars
Zetec seats stain easily with water
Few rattles and squeaks - head unit/dash, scuttle panel
Dealers have struggled a bit
Very bland looking - although facelift helped a bit
Wiper blades are monstrously expensive from dealers and not widely available from Halfords. Shop around (ebay).

Overall:
Generally happy with mine but have found it a difficult car to get passionate about - an Alfa it ain't. My general recommendation is to get a 1.6 petrol (cheap, widely available) if it's going to live the urban liife, 2L diesel if you want a motorway cruiser, and a 1.6 diesel may be the best compromise choice.