07 2.0 Wrong oil used-What shall i do? - passatpeter
Hi, Please help. The oil light lit up yesterday for the first time since i had it. There was some oil in the boot which I have used, but is it ok?? My car is VW Passat Estate 2.0ltr tdi (07).

The oil I used was Total Quartz 5000 15w40.

Please let me know if this is ok to use. I now think it is wrong. SHould I get it changed?

THanks
Please help. Will my car be damaged for using 15w40 ? Should i get it changed quickly? Or flushed? Or will it be ok? Please help. Im getting worried now. :(
07 2.0 Wrong oil used-What shall i do? - jc2
What does your handbook say?Most show a range of oils that can be used as well as the recommended one.Should not do any damage anyway.
07 2.0 Wrong oil used-What shall i do? - bimmer-driver
Thats not PD oil so if it were me I'd get it changed as soon as possible to be on the safe side. These engines are very particular about the oil they need. Must have either VW 505.01 or VW 507.00 stamp on it. All car places should sell it, its been out for years.
Ok thanks for your replys. I have booked it in for an oil change tommorow. Im now a bit worried that the car has been running on this before I bought it in Feb. Now done 23k miles. We have never had any issues with the car. What if its been using the wrong oil since I got it? Is there anyway of checking?
07 2.0 Wrong oil used-What shall i do? - MVP
I would be far more worried about the oil level getting so low that the warning light came on !!

How much oil did you need to put in?

MVP
Oh really? It was the oange warning light. I only had to put in about half a pint, maybe not even that. Now the light is off.
So it took half a pint to reach the top of the dipstick?

This doesn't sound right that a warning light came on for such a small amount of oil - I would get the engine flushed/filled/new oil filter to be safe

MVP
Yes I have it booked in tommorrow morning for flush/oil change/filter. But now im worried that I may have damaged it, and also what oil was used previous to me topping it up. My girlfriend is driving it to work and back today about 15 miles.
Im worried if I have caused incurable damage or just worrying for no reason.
1/2 pint of the wrong oil isn't going to cause a problem.

Are you sure the orange light was for low oil?

MVP
Yes I am pretty certain it was an orange light. Topped it up with about a quater of a ltr, which was in a compartment in the back of the car.
07 2.0 Wrong oil used-What shall i do? - Brit_in_Germany
>This doesn't sound right that a warning light came on for such a small amount of oil - I would get the engine flushed/filled/new oil filter to be safe.

I thought that VW introduced the oil level warning when they brought in long life servicing - the warning coinciding with the low level mark on the dipstick.

Also, I read somewhere that the VW guidelines allow a maximum number of top ups with non VW standard oil. I will look up the exact details and get back.

BIG
I called VW and they told me that my car was Time and distance if this helps.
07 2.0 Wrong oil used-What shall i do? - quizman
If you are having the oil changed make sure they use the correct oil, spec 507.00 or 501.01 which is a specific VW oil. All the oil companies make it, I use Castrol Edge 5W-30.

There is no point in worrying whether the correct oil has been used, there is nothing you can do about it. The correct oil will have been in until the first service anyway, which would have been at around 18,000 miles.

Good luck with your Passat, they are a good car, mines a smasher!
07 2.0 Wrong oil used-What shall i do? - pd
A small amout of 15w/40 for a short time will have zero effect. Far better to have the right amount of slightly wrong oil than too little of the right oil.

2.0 TDI's are prone to needing to be topped up sometimes and 1/2 litre to extinguish the yellow warning light is quite normal (you usually need about a litre to bring the oil back up to max).
Thanks guys. Is this good enough?

www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produ...5
07 2.0 Wrong oil used-What shall i do? - Grease_monkey
AS long as it mets these 2 specs it will be ok to use

505.01 Fixed time or distance servicing

506.01/507.00 Varible servicing

It needs to met these spec or else if you are planning on keeping the car for time you may have some problems with the injectors or cam in it's latter life.

07 2.0 Wrong oil used-What shall i do? - 659FBE
If the vehicle has a DPF, oil to VAG spec. 507.00 must be used.

The earlier (and any other spurious) oils have too high an ash content and the oil combustion by products will damage the DPF.

The whole business is a minefield - made impossible by VAG's wonderful documentation.

07 2.0 Wrong oil used-What shall i do? - quizman
"Is this good enough?" Yes it is the best, as I have said earlier Castrol Edge 5W-30 is the oil to use. If you look at the bottle it says specialy for VW and Audi and is 507.00.

It is also a good price, I would buy 4 litres and give it to the garage for an oil change now. You can't trust garages to use the correct stuff, many will use whatever they have in stock.
07 2.0 Wrong oil used-What shall i do? - jc2
And it is not always what the manufacturer recommends.Tho' in that case the responsibility for any damage becomes their's-tho' you'd have a problem proving it.
07 2.0 Wrong oil used-What shall i do? - Brit_in_Germany
The article I had read in one of the German car magazines indicated that if the car was on the VW long life servicing interval, one top-up of maximum 0.5 litre of the correct specificaiton oil was allowed. This presumably means the correct SAE value but not VW-Norm oil, i.e 5W30 in the case of a 507.00. If a test of the oil shows it to have been improperly filled, the warranty is likely to be void.

BIG
Well its had a full service, the original pollen filter was still in, all clogged up. Garage flushed the oil and replaced with 5w40 with the '505.1 suitable for VW and audi' notification on the bottle. Hopefully will be ok cheers guys. Not managed to get any of that cheap oil yet, will hopefully pick some up.