AUTOMATIC I20 - Martin Devon
I have had a rush of sense come over me hence the title. I was driving past a Hyundai garage last Friday when I decided to pull in and have a quick glance at the above. Well, what a pleasurable experience. Knowledgeable helpful staff, straight to the point and no messing. Thought it might be a good route to rid myself of the Rusting Merc' and to get some years of trouble free motoring too. I haven't had a drive yet, but first glances impress as does the spec' list. Furthermore there is no chance of a test in an Auto'. I know it is early days for this car, but has anybody driven an Auto' yet?

The cost. £11.2k - 2k scrappage - £1100.00 = 8.1k. I think that this includes delivery etc. Is that a good price? You can't haggle further as they are running flat out and everything is sold........Views please. Oh! by the way the only auto petrol is a 1.4 Comfort.

Best regards............MD
AUTOMATIC I20 - Avant
If you're coming out of a Mercedes you'll find an automatic i20 very slow: a manual one should be perky enough.

I'm not sure what sort of autobox an i20 has: no doubt someone will be along soon and enlighten us. If it's a conventional torque converter, it'll sap too much power even on a 1.4, and skin remains intact atop the rice pudding. If CVT, or the equivalent of DSG, maybe OK, but best to avoid those silly clutchless manuals which are neither fish nor fowl.
Ordinary slushmatic I think. However I rarely drive a private car as I am always working to keep the Bankers in Bonuses. The Ayatollah-at-Homei turns in about 3-4k in per annum. It would not be my first choice in an ideal world, but with that annual mileage, a five year warranty, mates that say Hyundai NEVER go wrong, £125.00 tax. No MOT for three years, at 8.1k it seems the way to go and the tin worm infested W210 gets the chop too. After I've sold the plate!!

I hear what you say about the Auto' though.

Another thing I can't find out, cos' the brochures give little technical info' is whether the 'box has a lock up on the top two or even three ratios. I would like to think that it does, but yer know what thought did.

Morning all.....................Martin.
AUTOMATIC I20 - jbif
at 8.1k >>

www.hyundai.co.uk/newCars/offers/details/?ref=335
scrappage + Hyundai contribution = £2255 on i20
Ordinary slushmatic I think. >>:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=372&s...e
4-speed torque converter auto.
JB.Thanks for that. I have been on to the local dealer today and they haven't got and can't get an Auto to test. However they tell me that a customers car will be in for something or other in two weeks time (I wonder what is wrong with it??) and that I may be able to take it around the local Trading estate. Marvellous. On a slightly more annoying point I e-mailed Hyundai the day before yesterday with a view to a test drive and they have yet to respond.

Best regards.....................MD
AUTOMATIC I20 - Roverjim88
Is the Kia Rio the same difference?
We looked at the Hyundai I30 Auto and it ticked all the boxes for us. We then looked at the Kia Cee'd. Its essentially the same car(well they are the same company). So is the Rio equivalent to the I20? If not is there one?
My understanding is the I20s are flying because the scrappage deal is so good. My worry is that in 2-3+ years the market will be swamped with them when people feel they can afford something better. Any thoughts?
My understanding is the I20s are flying because the scrappage deal is so good. My worry is that in 2-3+ years the market will be swamped with them when people feel they can afford something better. Any thoughts?

I still haven't sat in one, but we do 3-4k per annum so my desire to have a big saloon, as I always have had does not make any sense. Anyway, I don't drive it except perhaps 500 miles per year. Yes really. I am not concerned if the market is swamped co's it will have little value anyway. If it works for us I'll keep it till it drops, literally.

Now where is that Auto' to test??

Best regards to all..............MD
AUTOMATIC I20 - Geordie1
Hi MD...

I recently posted a similar thread requesting info on any known road tests of the auto version with no responses.

I have since found only one test conducted by Auto Express in May of this year when they did a comparison test of small autos relevant to the i20, Honda Jazz and the Skoda Fabia.

The only negative comments were that the auto 'box only had four speeds; that the ratios were on the 'wide' side and did not have a sequential function. I was rather surprised that on test they only managed to get 30.2mpg.

They also did a road test of the manual version that same month and claimed that the 5 speed 'box was not as robust as class leading competitors.

Try the following for all the info on the auto version www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrreviews/jazz_v_i20_v_fab...l

Not sure how to make the automatic link (pardon the pun!)

Edited by Geordie1 on 30/07/2009 at 01:38

Thanks Geordie although I couldn't get the link to work, but did read a bit in Auto express. Couldn't find the Auto test though.

Regards........Martin
AUTOMATIC I20 - Optimist
There are three used 2009 09 for sale on Auto Trader.

Nothing near you I think, but maybe worth checking again in a few days or so.

AUTOMATIC I20 - Geordie1
Martin...

The Auto Express article referred to specifically tested the auto model and compared it with the auto versions of the Jazz and Fabia. Try another link at www.autoexpress.co.uk/.../grouptests/.../jazz_v_i2...l- or failing that if you input 'Auto Express - small automatics compared' into Google you should be able to access it.
AUTOMATIC I20 - DaveC
I bought an I20 auto for the wife and she's thrilled with it. The car is a bit slow but it's comfortable, pretty quiet most of the time and it seems to be reasonably economical although I haven't checked exactly what it's doing per gallon yet. I would describe it as an ideal city car with enough room to take four in comfort. One problem I had was finding an auto. Eventually bought from Bolton, 30 miles away from home. Would have liked to get one with ESP but none in the country so ended up with a standard red one. Had reversing sensors fitted before collection because rear visibility didn't seem all that great and wife is not the best at going in reverse (Or forwards for that matter - It's OK, she never reads this website)
Overall, we're happy with the purchase and I would recommend the i20 auto to anyone.
The problem is solved. Yep, I ain't having one.

Sat in the thing at the dealers this afternoon and the drivers seat does not go back far enough for me. I am only 5' 11 1/2". Inside leg 29" and boy was it cramped. So that's that done and dusted.

Then sat in an I30 estate. All together a better fit, but I thought the switchgear was quite fragile and to be honest, quite tacky and 'light' if you get my drift.

In reverse order, co's I'll save the best till last, I went into the local Renault dealer. Ignored me totally so they than can insert their product where the Monkey keeps his nuts.

Then I went to the local Mazda garage, next door to above and owned, I believe by the same people. I approached a Gentleman who received me well, I opened with something like, "New small automatic please." He said you need a sales person which he duly rustled up saying in Manuel style that he knows nothing. I was met by a Lady with a huge mop of hair, very relaxed (her, not the hair) who couldn't have been more efficient and clued up. She was wonderful. No bull, just facts. I remarked on the gentleman and she casually said, "Oh he's the Dealer Principal"!!!

Now back to motoring. I sat in and fiddled with a Mazda 2. What a difference. What a nice little car. Seat goes back. Enough room above to wear a Top hat...............................................,But there is NO Auto' as yet and e-mails by the Lady to Mazda did not produce an answer in the affirmative. Would HJ have any insight as to when one might appear. They have indicated end of year. This car felt from the little time I had in it very well put together and in the Premier league compared with the Hyundai.

Another thing the lady mentioned was that they (Mazda) have to supply the car to you as does everyone else apparently within 90 days of signing on the scrappage deal, but she also warned that they (Mazda) HAVE to supply the car within 14 days of the expiry of the MOT on the banger. She is unaware if this is universal.

All thoughts on the above and any other cars that you may think will suit always welcome.

Very best regards to all...............Martin D
AUTOMATIC I20 - perro
I've not been following this fred but - a boy with a bell says that Hyundai and Kia are todays Lada's, so that must be good enough reason to think Mazda and the equiv.
I know I should start a new thread, but I like it here, all neat and tidy if you get my drift.

What about the Mitsu b Colt then. Just been looking at their site. How about the 1.3 automated manual then?

VBR......Martin D
AUTOMATIC I20 - Harleyman
- a boy with a bell says that
Hyundai and Kia are todays Lada's so that must be good enough reason to think
Mazda and the equiv.

Can't speak for Kia, only experience I have is wifey's old Pride which most people acknowledge to be a bit of a poor tool (although oddly enough there seems to be a breeding colony still existing in Aberystwyth of all places) but I have nothing but praise for Hyundai.

My Coupe turned out to be a thoroughly nice car to drive and to own, and one which attracted a lot of attention due to its styling; the i10 seems to be even better than the road tests said it was.

I can't for the life of me see how "Quasimodo" can equate either car with a Lada.
AUTOMATIC I20 - Geordie1
Martin...
If you had a problem inserting your 5ft 11 1/2 frame into the i20 then clearly at 6ft 2ins it is not for me either. The new VW Polo is due around October and the 1.2 TSi version has a DSG gearbox option. Prices have not yet been released but with the scrappage allowance it may be worth checking it out.
Something else I noted was that the seats in the Hyundai's seemed a little short in the length of the base/cushion. Maybe built for smaller folk from the east?

MD
AUTOMATIC I20 - jbif
seemed a little short in the length of the base/cushion. Maybe built for smaller folk from the east? >>

In which case, you may find your moeny is better spent on something like:

atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/msn/CARS_popup.jsp?model...8

atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/msn/CARS_popup.jsp?model...2

AUTOMATIC I20 - perro
>>> What about the Mitsu b Colt then. Just been looking at their site. How about the 1.3 automated manual then? <<<

Now! you're talking senor ... excellent car and 1st class on reliability - dunno about the automated manual though, some luv em, some don't ... you'd need to give e an *extended* roadtest.
AUTOMATIC I20 - LikedDrivingOnce
I think that every car really needs an extended roadtest before you part with your hard-earned cash. Errors are costly in this game!

The problem is getting an extended test drive. Are there any manufacturers out there who are happy to give you that amount of time with the car?
AUTOMATIC I20 - perro
Good point LDO, I had a VW Transporter for a whole day once - and bought it.
I had a Citroen C3 automated manual for arthur day once - and didn't buy it.
... Ask, and you shall receive?
... Ask and you shall receive?

>>

All very profound Perro.

MD
AUTOMATIC I20 - Happy Blue!
New Fiesta is same under the skin as the Mazda2 and comes with a slushbox I think in certain engines. Fine looking car.
Mazda tell my dealer that there is no news yet on the Auto' Maz' 2 so I wonder if the Fiesta 'box is the usual Ford offering?

MD
AUTOMATIC I20 - Happy Blue!
Mazda keep making this mistake of not importing the automatic. The Mazda2 is available in automatic elesewhere (I know as I have driven one).

When the Mazda5 came out it had no auto despite being available elsewhere.......(I know as a drove one...). They finally rectified the problem with the facelift model.

The Mazda3 would sell better if there was an automatic version in a decent size engine and high trim level (A poor mans Lexus IS), but no its only available in a boggy engine and boring trim - I didn't buy one.

So they are certainly losing sales for this stupidity. There are more and more people wanting to buy automatics.
AUTOMATIC I20 - LikedDrivingOnce
So they are certainly losing sales for this stupidity. There are more and more people wanting to buy automatics.

I totally agree. Three years ago, when I was looking to buy a new car, the car I wanted was a Mazda 6 Auto. It was just right for me, except that I had to have a diesel, and I had to have an Automatic.....and Mazda didn't do a diesel auto.
Result - one sale lost.
(I did try the manual on a test drive - but I just couldn't go back to a manual box again)
AUTOMATIC I20 - J500ANT
Avoid the Colt with the semi auto gearbox. My sister has one, its got a clutch flavoured air freshener :(

I've just bought a Hyundai i30 1.4 comfort via scrappage. I've done 600 miles so far and its fine, in fact its rather good. I was expecting it to feel a bit flimsy coming from a VW Jetta (also traded in) but actually it all feels solid enough, though its not quite as posh inside as the VW its nicer than a Focus or an Astra (IMO)

OP - how about a Skoda Fabia?

Edited by J500ANT on 01/08/2009 at 00:10

I've just bought a Hyundai i30 1.4 comfort via scrappage. I've done 600 miles so
far and its fine in fact its rather good. OP - how about a Skoda Fabia?

Hi J500. Is your Hyundai an Auto'?

Regards..........MD
Mazda keep making this mistake of not importing the automatic. The Mazda2 is available in
automatic elesewhere (I know as I have driven one).

Hi Espada What type of 'box was the auto' though?

Best reg's.....Martin.
AUTOMATIC I20 - Geordie1
As stated in my earlier post in this thread, I had an interest in acquiring the auto version of the i20 but discarded my considerations when 'MD' indicated that at 5ft 11ins tall he found it cramped. I sat inside one today and at 6ft 2ins I found it more than spacious for me with at least 2ins headroom to spare. The adjustable height of the seat and reach / rake adjustment of the steering column was ideal.

I am considering a deal under the scrappage scheme against my old AX which is worth about £300. I can get an i20 Comfort auto with metallic paint OTR with the 5 year warranty for £8755 which is a remarkable saving of over £3k on list price.

'Dave C' appears to be the only Backroomer who has the auto version and if you are there Dave? I think you have had your i20 for 2 / 3 months or so. Can you, or anyone else who has the auto version, give us an up to date account of your thoughts on ownership, particularly the real world mpg figures etc.
AUTOMATIC I20 - Geordie1
MODERATORS!!

Any chance you could contact DaveC and make him aware that his response would be appreciated.
Thanks.
AUTOMATIC I20 - Pugugly
Not been in this week - he may be on his hols. E-mailed him or you.

Rob
AUTOMATIC I20 - DaveC
Sorry for the delay. It's been a while since I checked the website and I didn't realise I was being asked for my opinion. (Well, the wife's opinion really because she drives the car most of the time)
Wife is well thrilled with the I20 Auto. It's been totally reliable in the 3500 miles she's put on it and, according to the trip computer, it's returning low 30's in mostly town driving.
The Auto box is a "conventional" torque converter auto with an "overdrive" 4th gear. The gear selector lever has a button to turn off the 4th gear but we've never used it.
The box changes gear very smoothly and, around town, it's great.
Comfort wise, I'm 5'11" and I have no problem sitting in the car. The seats are a little shorter than my VW Passat but I find them comfortable enough. Note though that the recline is by a lever rather than a wheel adjuster and the steps between the backrest stops seems quite large. I can get comfortable, but it's not as good as my Passat.
Comments about the box not being DSG or having "steptronic" adjustment seem a little curlish considering the price of the car. We looked at the Fabia auto but, although that had a 6 speed auto, the car was a lot noisier and the deals Skoda were offering under the scrappage deal were pretty poor when compared to the genuine allowances offered by Hyundai.
We're happy with our I20 and would heartily recommend it to anyone. (And No, I don't work for Hyundai or any of it's associates)
AUTOMATIC I20 - Geordie1
DaveC...

Many thanks for that response. In normal circumstances I always have test drives in vehicles that I intend to purchase but from my research with Hyundai dealerships and Hyundai Customer Services, such is the demand for the vehicle that no automatics are available for test drive purposes hence my queries as you appear to be the only man on the planet who has the relevant ownership info.

With regard to the auto 'box...does it have the facility to lock into 2nd or 3rd gears when decending steep gradients etc usually via selecting 1 or 2 on the selector also, does it have the ability to 'hold' on a gradient without using the footbrake to prevent rolling back and finally does it have the ability to 'creep' forwards and when reversing when moving slowly without having to use the accelerator pedal.

Many thanks in anticipation of your response.
AUTOMATIC I20 - Geordie1
Bumped....for hopeful anticipated response from DaveC
Hi Geordie, try the Mitsubishi AMT (automated manual). Lovely little car and have ordered one. I only hope my faith isn't dashed when I get the real thing and not the test driver!

Regards............Martin.
AUTOMATIC I20 - Geordie1
Thanks for that input MD and I will certainly check it out. In the interim I would appreciate further input from DaveC relevant to the additional info that I have requested.
AUTOMATIC I20 - DaveC
Hi Geordie1.
You can select "L", "2" and "D" with the selector lever and there is a further button on the top of the selector lever to turn the "overdrive 4th" on or off (When you start the car the overdrive defaults to ON giving you a 4 speed box) The owner's manual does say that selecting "L" will only engage 1st gear, selecting "2" will engage 1st and 2nd gears and turning the "overdrive" off will only engage 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. I presume it works but Wife uses the car just for city driving around Liverpool so we've never had the need for anything other than "D" with "overdrive" ON (default position).
The box is a torque-convertor auto and does hold the car on hills and "creep" with no throttle applied.
AUTOMATIC I20 - Dave_TD
I had a VW Transporter for a whole day once - and bought it.
I had a Citroen C3 automated manual for arthur day once - and didn't buy it.

My local Ford dealer will hire you any model and spec of car for the weekend and refund the hire cost if you end up buying one. It's the thought that counts I suppose...
AUTOMATIC I20 - Geordie1
DaveC...

Been away from the computer for a few days...many thanks for your response to my auto 'box queries...most helpful in the decision making process.