99 1.3 misfire - whathaveidone!
hello

car misfiring on 2nd cylinder (intermitent) suspect coil pack

How much is a coil pack and leads from ford or buy one from ebay ?

Any other faults which may cause misfire ?

Hard or easy to fit new one ?

thankyou

Edited by whathaveidone! on 26/07/2009 at 22:15

99 1.3 misfire - elekie&a/c doctor
Genuine Ford coil pack and leads will cost you in excess of £100.Try a local motor factor accessory shop.Most misfire faults on these are caused by either or both of these parts.Fitting is really tricky.The coil is mounted at the rear of the engine,drivers side.There is not a lot of room.hth
99 1.3 misfire - Mr.Tee43
I had this very fault on my daughters 99 Ka 1.3. I removed the spark plug leads one at a time to identify which cylinder was missing, switching off each time to avoid a shock. Checked compression on that cylinder just in case but it was Ok.

As suggested, got a coil pack from a local factor and all was Ok for a while, until we noticed that the car would sort of hiccup and shudder intermitantly at idle.

I figured that the plug leads being carbon string might be breaking down due to age, so put on some Bosch silicone jobbies and the engine now runs sweetly again.

Its just a shame the car is such a rot box as it drives along quite nicely.

Edit just to add.

Fittting is easier from underneath, with the front up on stands. The coil pack is then a doddle to remove but you will need the right size Torx fitting on a quarter inch socket driver and dont get the plug leads muddled up.

Edited by Mr.Tee43 on 26/07/2009 at 23:37

99 1.3 misfire - whathaveidone!
>>Most misfire faults on these are caused by either or both of
these parts.Fitting is really tricky.The coil is mounted at the rear of the engine drivers
side.There is not a lot of room.hth

Thankyou elekie&a/c doctor the coil pack is off and was a tight squeeze.

Going to test resistance of coil pack.

As suggested got a coil pack from a local factor and all was Ok for
a while until we noticed that the car would sort of hiccup and shudder intermitantly
at idle.

>>
I figured that the plug leads being carbon string might be breaking down due to
age so put on some Bosch silicone jobbies and the engine now runs sweetly again.

Thankyou Mr.Tee43 for a very comprehensive post ! How much was your coil pack and leads ?

Coilpack resistance 3 pin connector = middle & left 72ohms middle & right 72ohms
lead connectors 1 & 4 = 10.63kohms
lead connectors 2 & 3 = 10.53kohms
misfire is on plug 2
99 1.3 misfire - mfarrow
I found the leads from Ford to be as cheap as those from Halfords. Cured a single cylinder occasional misfire on the 2-year old Bosch silicons!

The coil pack will definitely be a different story though.