Steering - Number_Cruncher
Watching Top Gear the other night, an oft repeated bit of "wisdom" was trotted out which reinforces a significant misunderstanding of how cars work. I can see why people believe it; on a superficial level, it makes sense; however, it's quite bogus.

The "wisdom" is;

On a front wheel drive car, the front wheels do more work because they are both steering and driving

This is, despite being so deeply ingrained as received wisdom, utter nonsense.

To expose this as the bunkum it is, consider a car with a 50 / 50 weight distribution going round a corner at reasonable speed, and with neutral throttle. To simplify matters, imagine the the height of the centre of gravity is so low that weight transfer to the outside is negligible.

How much side force is generated by the front wheels compared with how much is generated by the rear?

If you believe in Clarkson's maxim, you'll have to say that the front, steered, wheels are doing more work, producing more force. However, if this were the case, there would be an unbalanced moment acting on the car, tending to make it spin (front end into the centre of the corner, back end out!).

Of course, what actually must happen for equilibrium is that front and rear wheels must produce the same amount of side force. This would remain true if the car had four wheel steering, or even rear wheel steering.

To say this bluntly;

Just because a wheel may be turned relative to the car's body does not mean it is producing more or less sideforce than the wheels which remain inline.

Now, having got that off my chest, it's possible to talk a bit more about what really affects how much work tyres have to do. The thing which really dominates here is weight distribution. Had I dealt with an example of a car with a 70 / 30 weight distribution, then, yes, the front wheels will be producing more sideforce than the rear, surprise surprise, in the ratio 70 / 30!!

IF we temporarily begin to think about the 50 / 50 car and consider what happens if you add drive or brake forces, you'll see there's no black magic here either. The brake or drive forces act at approximately right angles to the sideforce, and together form a resultant force, so as the sideforces were equal front to rear, if you now clumsily add some drive force to the front wheels, the resultant force will now be larger than that of the rear axle, and you'll begin to get more slip from the front tyres - a power on understeer effect. If you do this to the rear wheels, you get some power on oversteer effect. Again, none of this has anything to do with which wheels are turned relative to the car body.

As an antedote to obtaining vehicle dynamics misinformation from messrs Clarkson, Hammond and May, I would like (again!) to recommend "Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics" by Gillespie. It's an expensive book, so, perhaps best to ask your library to get it in for you.
Steering - Pugugly
Yep - I still prefer a powerful RWD car !
Steering - Altea Ego
All I know is, that if you want to hoon about like a mad thing at times, you need to know what you are driving and how differetnly they react and need to be driven.

not that i ever hoon about ever you understand.

Steering - b308
So where can you find out what the weight distribution of your car is?
Possibilities include;

Look in your handbook, ask the dealer, ask the manufacturer, ask to use a VOSA weighbridge, and measure it yourself, ask to use a weighbridge at a scrapyard, etc, etc

Steering - bell boy
always best to have a few bags of sand in the front hood of an old beetle.
also helps when you weigh the things in because it ups yourpound per tonnage
Steering - Lud
Possibilities include;

It might be useful to drive the thing round a few bends under various weather conditions and degrees of acceleration and deceleration.

That may not give you the exact weight distribution, but if you have sensitive trousers it will certainly give you some idea. However, since weight distribution, while important, is far from being the only factor determining a car's behaviour in corners, it will give you something more useful: an idea of how the jalopy actually behaves in corners.
Steering - Cliff Pope
That's an interesting observation, NC, and one that immediately strikes me as both correct, and now you mention it, obvious.

Would another way of putting it be that the car goes round a corner because all four wheels are no longer aligned in a fore and aft direction, soit is not possible for the moving vehicle to continue rolling along in a straight line without some of the wheels scrubbing the road.
The scrubbing effect will exert a turning moment, the final result of which will reach equilibrium when each wheel alters direction so as to minimise the force it experiences. So the combined effect will be that the forces on each wheel will be equalised.
Hence it is not meaningfull to say that any pair is actually exerting the turning effect - they all are?

So if the rear wheels were on casters, the car would not steer because it would be impossible to transfer any force to them?
Steering - ifithelps
Tyres on my Focus hatchback wore fairly evenly all round.

Suggests to me the back wheels do a similar amount of work to the front.
Steering - bathtub tom
>>So if the rear wheels were on casters, the car would not steer

Or, perhaps, if the rear tyres had less tread than the front ones?

;>)

Has anyone ever been expelled from this forum?
>>Hence it is not meaningfull to say that any pair is actually exerting the turning effect - they all are?

>>So if the rear wheels were on casters, the car would not steer because it would be impossible to transfer any force to them?

Yes, absolutely Cliff, I agree with both points you make - that's a good way of putting it.
Steering - Manatee
Wasn't there a big argument a while back (from one contributor anyway) about whether a car with castors at the back could get round corners? (FWIW I'm in the "no" camp).

While I wouldn't defer to Clarkson on these matters, I think "bunkum" is a bit harsh. Given the front biased weight distribution of a FWD, the front wheels are transmitting more cornering force. They also have to get the power down, and do by far the biggest part of the braking. So apart from the cornering force and their role in the balance, not really that much for the rears to do except keep the back end off the floor...

Experience suggests that hard driving hammers the fronts much more than the rears.

Most of everything else Clarkson says is bunkum though.
Steering - Lud
The front wheels of a front-drive car propel the car, make the initial steering effort, carry in most cases more than half its weight and of course deploy most of the car's braking effort when it is travelling forward.

It seems perverse therefore to claim that they don't do most of the work. It may not be quite as perverse as it seems, NC just about manages to convince us, but perverse all the same. All you have to do is look at the size of the bearings, brakes and shock absorbers compared to the back ones which have little to do by comparison. Or the wear rate of the front tyres in say a V6 front-drive Alfa Romeo.

Obviously these components are bigger and wear out faster because they have the same amount of work to do. Stands to reason (not).

The whole point about angrily citing perfect theoretical smooth-road neutral cornering is that it doesn't tell anyone but an engineer anything of practical use. In real life a more intuitive approach gives better results, irksome as that may seem to a theory man.

Both Lud and Manatee really should re-read my post - they've both mis-interpreted it.

Steering - Lud
mis-interpreted it.

... not without an element of volition in my case. Sorry NC...

:o}
Steering - Manatee
>>... not without an element of volition in my case

or mine ;-)
Steering - Andrew-T
Obviously these components are bigger and wear out faster because they have the same amount of work to do.

All I can say is that on the FWD cars I have owned, the front tyres wear about 3 times faster than the rears. I think that proves adequately that they 'do more work', which I rationalise by (a) traction wear, especially under heavy acceleration, and (b) steering wear, where the fronts scuff more because they point further from the line of travel than the rears (especially on a car with built-in rear passive steering).
Steering - Farmer Boy
All I can say is that on the FWD cars I have owned the front
tyres wear about 3 times faster than the rears.

So why have a 4wd in the first place?
Steering - Andrew-T
All I can say is that on the FWD cars I have owned the front tyres wear about 3 times faster than the rears.

So why have a 4wd in the first place?

Taking your question at face value, FB: FWD = Front-wheel drive, not 4WD. Nuff said?
Steering - Farmer Boy
Tyres on my Focus hatchback wore fairly evenly all round.
Suggests to me the back wheels do a similar amount of work to the front.

>>

Suggests to me that you don't thrash it around like a maniac with both feet on the pedal!

J. Clarkson wouldn't understand ackerman steering if it hit him on the nose. nor it seems would anyone else on this thread.
Tell us all about Ackerman steering Farmer Boy - I'm intrigued.

Here's a bit of fun about Ackerman steering;

i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad338/Number_Cruncher_...g

As you'll see, the information given in many textbooks about Ackerman steering is actually a bit duff.

Here are the notes for the graph:-

The graph shows changes in track rod length which would be needed to maintain true rolling conditions as corner radius varies.

The intersection is the distance behind the front axle where the projection of the line joining the steering axis and the outer track rod end intersects the vehicle centreline.

Many text books suggest this point should be near the rear axle, i.e., 1 wheelbase behind the front axle. The graph shows this is not true, and for true rolling, an intersection about 0.6 wheelbases behind the front axle gives much less error.

Steering - FotheringtonThomas
So where can you find out what the weight distribution of your car is?

At home. Use the bathroom scales, a stout board, and a brick.
Steering - Cliff Pope
If shopping trolleys had fixed rear wheels they would corner properly, because the back wheels could then exert a useful force.

Similarly if a car had casters (I've looked up the word and "o" or "e" is correct) on the back it's much-vaunted front wheel drive would not "pull you round the corner" but merely change lanes in a straight line.
(Or imagine a car balanced by a gyroscope with no rear wheels!)
Steering - Farmer Boy
If shopping trolleys had fixed rear wheels they would corner properly because the back wheels

Do you know why shopping trolleys have casters on all wheels? Just try steering a line of about 20 and you'll find out!
Steering - Old Navy
Costco trolleys have fixed rear wheels and steer like a car, I would not like to try driving a car with castors on the back. Probably be like well worn rear tyres in the wet.
Steering - sierraman
If shopping trolleys had fixed rear wheels they would corner properly because the back wheels
could then exert a useful force.

No they would not.Steering input is at the rear so fixed rear wheels would necessitate scrubbing sideways or twisting about the longditudinal centre line,very hard on the wrists with a loaded trolley.Fixed wheels at the front would work better,a bit like an old fashioned dumper,but they took a bit of practice to get used to the rear wheel steering. On a flat smooth surface castors all round enables the greatest manouverability.
Steering - Old Navy
I find the Costco type trolley far easier to control than a standard "4 castor" trolley, thats why SWMBO "drives" the standard ones, she drives as though her car is on 4 castors anyway. And no she does not read this!
Steering - L'escargot
Watching Top Gear the other night an oft repeated bit of "wisdom" was trotted out
which reinforces a significant misunderstanding of how cars work.

I gave up watching Top Gear and similar programmes when it became apparent that most motoring journalists seem to think, for example, that the be-all and end-all of acceleration is engine output torque. They don't appear to know that (all other things being equal) the relevant parameter is tractive effort at the driving wheels, and that this is influenced by gearing. They completely ignore the fact that diesel cars are invariably higher geared than petrol cars.

I just wish we could have some technically qualified motoring journalists.

Edited by L'escargot on 27/07/2009 at 08:40

Steering - Bagpuss
Several years ago I did an advanced driving course in Austria. One of the tasks involved driving a VW Golf around some traffic cones. Not particularly difficult, except the back wheels had been taken off and replaced with casters. The car was almost impossible to steer but it was a huge amount of fun trying.
Steering - L'escargot
The car was almost impossible to
steer but it was a huge amount of fun trying.

Some considerable years ago, for an open day at MIRA, my employer made a car in which the front wheels turned the opposite way to normal when you turned the steering wheel. As far as I recall the only person who could drive it more than a few yards was one of the test drivers.
Steering - Andrew-T
The back wheels had been taken off and replaced with casters.

That has been on TV more than once. It looked great fun, but I'm not sure whether the instincts learnt there are much use in real cars on real roads.
Steering - Sofa Spud
The front wheels DO have to do more work on a front-wheel-drive car because they have to cope with acceleration torque, while on rear-wheel-drive cars they only have to cope with deceleration torque when the brakes are applied. I agree that in terms of lateral forces there might not be much difference, though.

Not that I've got much time for Top Gear these days - it's mostly bafoonery that plays stright into the hands of the anti-car lobby.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 27/07/2009 at 13:55

>>The front wheels DO have to do more work on a front-wheel-drive car because they have to cope with acceleration torque

And I don't, not even for a millisecond, dispute that.

Steering - Sofa Spud
sorry, error!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 27/07/2009 at 14:06