04 1.6 Running hot ?? - Rich 1199
Hi guys, 2 weeks ago my wife bought a 2004 ford streetka winter edition, since then it has had a few problems and needed a new thermostat, heater control valve and O2 sensor, however the car still seems to be running hot. By that i mean from a cold start she is able to use the heater on full heat within a minute, the engine is getting hot really fast and the electric fan is cutting in and out after only a 15 minute run and waiting at traffic lights, also when she gets home and turns the car off you can hear gurgling and bubbling from the water pipes around the engine which doesnt seem to be getting any better ( thought this system should self bleed ?
Thermostat is working well.
Heater is working too, hot and cold on demand ( although is does seem to get hot way too fast in my opinion )
I can smell hot coolant in and out of the car but given the fact that the heater control valve disintigrated a week ago and sprayed all the coolant over the engine im not too suprised. Since the repair it hasnt leaked any coolant and the levels have been constant.
Gonna flush the cooling system this week to see if that helps.
If anyone can shed any light on this or offer an opinion i would be very grateful.

Thanks
Rich
04 1.6 Running hot ?? - wilywhitewombat
Hi Rich,

My wife has an 05 Streetka and I have a 55 Sportka (same engine) and they both heat up very quickly. It's normal for the engine to run hot and you can expect the electric fan to cut in within minutes on even averagely warm days, so don't worry about it. We treat an efficient heating system as a boon, not a problem. If the radiator really does overheat the coolant temperature warning light will come on (one o' clock position in the instrument cluster).

So you've had to replace the heater control valve: join the club, so has everybody else!

Neither of our cars gurgles while cooling. Is there an airlock? Or could it be the a/c system? This needs to be bled and refilled more frequently than other cars. Two years is the maximum interval between a/c services.

Best of luck. I hope your wife enjoys her new car.

Regards,

Paul
04 1.6 Running hot ?? - Peter.N.
Rapid temperature rise from the heater is a good sign, it means that your cooling system is running efficiently.
Thanks guys for the replys, gonna have the system bled this week, now i need to sort the alarm system out! begining to regret buying this car!!

Thanks
Rich
04 1.6 Running hot ?? - wilywhitewombat
Thanks guys for the replys gonna have the system bled this week now i need
to sort the alarm system out! begining to regret buying this car!!
Thanks
Rich

I don't know what the symptoms of the alarm problem are but before laying out any money check that the tonneau cover and the boot lid are properly closed. Both can cause the alarm to malfunction. Failure to close the boot properly also disables the tonneau's electric release button. Moral: always slam the boot!

Good luck,

Paul

P.S. Unlocking the boot with a double-click of the remote always sets off the alarm. It's designed that way. You have to unlock the doors first to disable the alarm and then double-click to unlock the boot.

Edited by wilywhitewombat on 04/08/2009 at 21:27

Cheers Paul for the advice, checked everything mate and it was all ok, dealer told me it was an alarm system failure and would need replacing but at £220 + filling and vat, they said they had seen quite a few streetka's with alarm failure ( common fault ) and advised me to have it removed and think about aftermarket security if i needed it. To be honest the company the wife works for have a secure car park and at home it is always blocked in on my drive by my A4 so i had the factory system removed.

Thanks
Rich