03 1.4 Gearbox/Clutch - jazzlyne
Hi, I am very new to this website and this post as well. As lady I am not very technical so I would appreaciate your patience with me.

My honda jazz 2003 model makes noise when I change gears between gear 1-3. No noise when I use gear 4. It has only done 44k miles.

The noise is so annoying, and very uncomfortable indeed that I want to either sell the car or repair it depending on which is cheaper option asap. Can anyone help please.

Thank you

Edited by jazzlyne on 24/07/2009 at 03:52

03 1.4 Gearbox/Clutch - mickyh7
There is a big problem with gearboxes on small Honda cars. I'm afraid I cant remember where I read about it. Perhaps you could do a Google search. The days of Honda quality are long gone I'm afraid ! Something to do with the Gearbox Bearings. I'm sure someone will know more and reply to your post with more information-Good Luck. (Hopefully you'll have some kind of warranty) ?
thanks mickyh7 for your help.
Bearings collapse

I have done just over 63,000 miles in my Toyota Avensis. It has developed a grumbling noise, diagnosed by the local dealer as a gearbox bearing. Parts and labour for a gearbox bearing change come to £823. However, after talking to Toyota, it has offered me a £50 reduction for the parts.

N.C., Uxbridge

This can sometimes happen if the gearbox oil is not changed after the first year. Bedding-in swarf eventually gets ground up by the cogs so that it gets into the bearings, so it?s best to drain off the original gearbox oil with the swarf after the first year. Gearbox bearing failure after four years or so seems to be common in the Honda Jazz and Civic and Toyota Avensis.

Just found this-I think it might help you ? Maybe a replacement from a crashed car and fitted by your local independent garage would be the way to go. Autotrader advertise used/reconditioned Gearboxes. DONT even bother getting a quote from a Dealer.It will be in the £1000's Good Luck. mickyh7
cheers, appreciated.

i go to the local garage as they quote me £350 for the gearbox and £150 for labour. Honda quoted me £1700 for the gearbox and £350- £400 for labour.

I will go the cheaper way. thanks a lot.
£1500 - That's a good saving ! No Rocket Science involved there-Good for you.
03 1.4 Gearbox/Clutch - Bill Payer
Does the car have a full Honda dealer service history? This is a known issue with Jazz and Honda are usually pretty good at paying a substantial part of the cost.

The price quotes seems very high - from memory this is a £1000 or so job in a Honda dealer and they should change all the bearings. Is the other quote for a re-conditioned gearbox, or one out of a crashed car?

Edited by Bill Payer on 27/07/2009 at 12:30