Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - douglasb
Just under a year ago, my Mum was looking to replace her car. She had a good idea of what she wanted (features, rather than any specific make/model) but when she went to Motorpoint and saw 4 month old cars with minimal mileages being sold at huge discounts from the list price she was a bit blinded by the prices and bought something that didn't really meet her original requirements. It was the cheapest "nearly new" car they had.

A year down the line, the inconvenience of not having some of the things that she wanted is annoying her and she would like to try again :-)

So - her requirements are 3 doors (she will not be interested in 5 doors. The only passenger she will ever carry is my stepfather, so as they are both about 80 access to the front seats is much more important than access to the back seats). The things that she misses about her current car are electric windows and central locking. The boot doesn't have to be huge as it's only shopping that will be carried in it. Fuel economy should be good but isn't the absolute priority as she will only do about 3K miles per year at most.

What is the cheapest new 3 door hatchback with electric windows and central locking? So far, I think it may be the Chevrolet Matiz. Any other suggestions?

I realise that (eg.) a Hyundai i10 (if available in 3 doors) may be a much better car than whatever is cheapest, but I suspect that price is going to be a major factor in the decision (again!).

I look forward to the backroomers thoughts....

Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - bell boy
they are in their 80"s so they need to check that a large door on a 3 door car is really suitable for getting in and out of in tight spaces like my local coop
a 5 door car can be much better once you get older as its easier to get in and out of
Thanks BB, but the current car is a Ford Ka and the previous one was a 3 door Suzuki Swift so she is used to the space required to open doors in supermarket carparks. (And she is set on a 3 door, so any other suggestions will not be listened to ... :-) )
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - Avant
Not sure what her budget is but you can get a Ka with electric windows and central locking. She could go for a new one or a nearly-new old-shape Ka. They're very good to drive and if she's happy with hers otherwise she should go for another.

The Aygo / C1 / 107 trio can be had with 3 doors as well.

(I realise she won't be swayed but if I were nearly 80 I'd go for 5 doors to avoid the awkward stretch for the seat belt.)
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - carl_a
3dr Yaris or Colt is the best option, nice high seats and very easy to get in or out of.
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - moonshine {P}

As others have already said, a five door will actually be easier in many ways.

The i10 is cheap and highly regarded by HJ (and many others). We ordered one a while back on the scrappage. The i10 is only available in a 5 door. All models come with electric windows and air con. I would of thought that air con would be feature that would also be nice to have.
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - Halmer
A Fiat Panda?
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - b308
Why doesn't she go to the car supermarket again but this time with you and a list of what she wants and have another look round... most modern cars a good these days and she isn't fussy as to make, so its more a question of whats around at the right price...

BTW another vote for 5 doors.
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - retgwte
yea despite it being 5 doors i would go for fiat panda in dynamic trim

look at the prices on autotrader

great car for this kind of user, lots of space, easy to get in and out

cheap to buy and run

Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - Bill Payer
Appreciate that she won't consider anything other than 3dr, but if you're looking at random cars do be careful of how long and how heavily sprung the doors are - my daughter has a 3dr SEAT Ibiza and it's extremely awkward in a normal parking space.
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - MVP
A 3-door car will usually have much wider doors, so easier for oldies to get in and out

MVP
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - b308
wider doors so easier for oldies to get
in and out

As some of us have said thats a very debateable point, MVP. The doors on 3 door cars are bigger and heavier and have to open wider to give you the same sort of access space as a 5 door one. Personally unless she was wheelchair bound in which case the extra width is useful, I would suggest a 5 door is better!

We have a 3 door Polo and used to have a 5 door Fabia, the Fabia was the easier to get in and out of...

Edited by b308 on 24/07/2009 at 15:39

Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - Mapmaker
I just wonder whether the cheapest option would be to retrofit electric windows and c/locking.

This new car is going to cost her, what? 2k? 3k? more? (On the basis that she'll get what? 3-5k for the current one, the new one will cost £6-8k? and will be worth 4-6k? the moment she drives it out of the showroom?)

AT 3k miles p.a., fuel economy is utterly, totally irrelevant. She only needs to fill up every couple of months...
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - RaineMan

Around £7k would by a '57' plate Fiat Bravo. Two doors, good access, central locking. electric front window, air con. Less privately.
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - ifithelps
Like RaineMan, I wondered about late used.

Mileage would obviously be irrelevant and a slightly bigger car might be easier to get in and out of.

I'm bound to suggest a Focus, but they do have a higher driving position than some other hatchbacks.

Not the lightest car to drive, though, so how about a very late model Corolla?

Comes in three doors, bit smaller than a Focus (I think) and lighter to drive (I know).
Thanks all. Your suggestions have been really helpful.

I really don't think that she'll budge from the 3 door idea. Since 1977, she's had 4 Fiestas, a Suzuki Swift and a Ka, all of which were 3 doors. She's fully aware of the weight/opening radius/reach for seatbelts, so I don't think that she'll change her mind on this.

Going back to Motorpoint and seeing what they have available would be a good idea (she has no problem whatsoever with anything about their service) but it is on the wrong side of Glasgow and she won't drive through Glasgow or on motorways. I'm 250 miles away, but my sister, brother-in-law, stepbrothers or nieces could handle this bit.

I suspect that the choice will come down to whatever brands are available at the retail park at Phoenix Linwood (or other dealers within 10 miles on the west side of Glasgow).

I had a look at a motoring mag in the local library this morning and was surprised at how many small cars aren't available in 3 doors. I now suspect that the best choice for her would actually be a Nissan Micra so I'll suggest that she has a look at this. Some of the comments in the mag about other cheap 3 door cars suggest that they are a bit "cheap and nasty" and not very pleasant to drive, however if only doing 2K miles pa around town I suspect that this is not a high priority.

I'm guessing that she'll take a look at the Nissan and think that it is very suitable, but will then find something else that has central locking and electric windows but which is cheaper and that the price will be the deciding factor.
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - jc2
Elderly relatives and friends have asked me in the past to recommend suitable vehicles(I've been in the trade longer than I want to remember) and I have put thought into it and have made my recommendations.Usually the next time I see them,they've aquired something totally unsuitable.My wifes' aunts,for example,bought an unsuitable car and when I asked them why they chose it,they told their milkman said it would be good for them!
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - bell boy
i get asked too but turn it round to see what they want and say yes thats good
this way i save face and dont have to get involved
other thing ive learnt is never sell anyone you know a car unless you are sure they are sensible to the point of boredom,ive got my list down to about 5 people now
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - J500ANT
See if she'll try out a smart :D
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - brum
If they're over 80 and only do 2k a year, I suggest you encourage them to think about giving up driving and start using taxis, buses or occasional chauffeur service (i.e you, son).

Edited by brum on 26/07/2009 at 02:31

Brum - you seem to have missed the point where I mentioned that I am 250 miles away.

My stepfather has already given up driving. One of my stepbrothers and my sister already provide a chauffer service for whenever they want to go n longer journeys.

My mum plays Bridge four nights a week and the car is the only sensible way that she can keep this independence.

I've been a passenger while she is driving and while I wouldn't say that she is a magnificent driver, she is definitely not dangerous. She is perfectly capable of driving within her limits for a few more years.
Recommend a new car for my Mum... (please) - Alanovich
Around £7k would by a '57' plate Fiat Bravo. Two doors good access central locking.
electric front window air con. Less privately.

A two door Bravo? Are you sure? They're only 5-door, surely? Do you mean Punto?