Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - diddy1234
I was wondering if anyone knew if these CVT gearboxes actually work.

Are they unreliable ?
How do they compare to the same make and model of car but with a manual transmission ?

Is it true that a car with a CVT gearbox can not tow any extra weight (trailer / caravan) ?

I am also interested to know how they drive, do you put your foot down and the revs stay at 3,000rpm all of the time until the speed is higher ?

How do you perform a kick down like in a normal automatic ?
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - cjehuk
A CVT does work and will generally be reliable as long as the oil is changed on schedule and the car not treated excessively harshly. Like any object with moving parts (or even non-moving parts) any unit could fail but there is no significant extra likelihoood with proper maintenance. Note my experience comes from 4 years working at an Audi dealership where Multitronic (CVT) cars were a regular visitor.

In terms of comparison with a manual of the same car, the CVT will be smoother in most circumstances, but less "instant" off the line than a good driver would be. If you wish to accelerate hard you put your foot down and the revs will go to somewhere near peak power and hold there until you back off or until you hit maximum speed of the vehicle for those revs. This is actually the quickest way of accelerating any vehicle. Imagine in your 150Hp car you change gear at peak power and the revs drop 1500rpm so now you're only making ~120Hp. In the CVT you keep 150Hp all the time you accelerate, so it's more powerful for longer. That makes CVTs really deceptively fast accelerators at times. Most boxes simulate a kickdown now by introducing "virtual" gears which in reality are stepped changes in ratio using the variable mechanism.

With regard to your question about towing, it is possible though like any gearbox heat will build up if you maintain high loads for a long time. The CVT car will have a rated tow weight that allows for this, however the inherent slippage in the design of the box means more heat will be generated under higher loads.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - moonshine {P}

I've driven an A4 with the Multitronic box and have to say I was impressed. However, I would have concerns about long term ownership and would never buy one second hand.

cjehuk's description of how they drive is spot on. Its very strange at first, put your foot down and watch the rev counter go straight up to near the redline (and stay there) and then watch the speedo catch up. Around town the revs of course stay much lower.

ISTR that the Audi Multitronic box was the first auto that had a faster 0-60 than the equivalent manual.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Chas{P}
In my opinion they're brilliant in theory but a disaster waiting to happen in practice.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - KB.
"In my opinion they're brilliant in theory but a disaster waiting to happen in practice.".................on that basis Jazz owners have been waiting since August 2002 for disaster to happen. Haven't had mine that long so am not making extravagent claims but am extremely pleased with the way it drives. Not a fast car and not as economical as a manual but you know that before you buy it. Superbly smooth transmission. No shortage of creep and you'll probably get through more brake pads than a manual but I love it.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - jc2
Almost killed myself the first time I drove one-eased back to leave motorway by sliproad with a bend in-engine speed dropped and I thought car was slowing up but all that had happened was box was going into higher overall ratio for same speed.Excellent when you got the hang of it.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Marc
We had a 96N Volvo 440 with a CVT (or 'Hi Tech' as they marketed it) gearbox. The 440s were made by DAF who I believe pioneered CVT technology.

Despite the car being serviced properly by Volvo the gearbox was never right. It used to shudder and sometimes stall the engine when you hit the brakes. Ruined an otherwise good car.

However, it was an interesting drive (revs bear no relation to road speed), nippy and fairly economical in terms of mpg.

They may have since moved on but I would never buy another CVT. Much better off with a conventional auto IMO.

Edited by Marc on 22/07/2009 at 21:34

Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - perro
>>> We had a 96N Volvo 440 with a CVT <<<

I don't think one can compare an old Voldaf 440 CVT with an Audi Multitronic,
I didn't like my old Civic or Accord CVT's, but reading what others have sed on this thread - I'd certainly be prepared to evaluate one, but I'd have to have it for a full day to make sure I could live with the critter.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - stunorthants26
My nan had an F reg Fiat Uno CVT and despite the appalling build, hers was totally reliable and it wasnt a bad car to drive either, much less lurch than some set-ups.

I did drive a T-reg Fiesta CVT and hated it though - its an easy system to make a hash of but good ones are very nice Lexus Hybrids for instance.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - andyp
I am not sure if it was fitted with a CVT autobox or not, but i had a 58 plate Nissan Micra auto courtesy car today and without doubt it was the worst auto i have ever driven. Although i currently drive a manual, i usually love driving autos, but this was horrible and i couldn't wait to return it and get my car back !
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - LikedDrivingOnce
There is nice sensible debate about Audi multitronic (CVT) gearboxes here:
tinyurl.com/losrh4

Basically they work OK from new, but wear out well before 100k miles, unless you are lucky. The consensus seemed to be that the newer 7-clutch 8 speed ones were better, but if you wanted an Auto on an Audi you were better off with a DSG or conventional torque converter job. These are reliable, apparently.

I can't speak for CVT gearboxes from Japanese manufacturers, but I don't think that they would have the same problems. Reading between the lines, it seemed that Audi had cut corners on the CVT gearbox that they don't do so much for other components. and this attempt at saving money had come back to bite them.
>>> My nan had an F reg Fiat Uno CVT <<<

That reminds me - a friend bought an old Punto CVT to learn on and I went out with him a few times + drove the critter myself ... I thought I was gonna hate the damn thing, but actually I was quite impressed with it.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - bell boy
ive had many cvt"s
i like them they were ok in fiestas and brilliant in micras"s
they take 10 seconds to get used to
yes they use more fuel than a manual
yes they wear out
i drive a primera cvt i love it but it is juice heavy around town but lovely and smooth on the queens highway ,the wife equates it to driving in an ocean liner but thats probably just me doing 40mph with my pipe in my mouth and my pork pie on on the no speed limit road

i think the puntos ive had are electro magnetic rather than cvt but i love those too

i just love autos basically

so laid back..................
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Bagpuss
I presently have an Audi A6 with a CVT gearbox on extended loan. I don't get Audis anyway, but quite why anyone would order one with a CVT box is completely beyond me. I don't see any advantage whatsoever over a conventional automatic gearbox unless you are into cars that sound like sewing machines.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Optimist
I've had a 2.0 petrol Nissan Qashqai CVT from new for 10k miles, changing to that from a conventional auto 1.8 Almera.

Does the CVT work? Yes, though not in the same way as a conventional auto. It will kick-down very effectively and accelerates impressively. The CVT is very smooth and will cruise at an indicated 80 mph at 2500 revs so the car is very quiet also.

There are 6 virtual gears on a tiptronic style use of the selector and the CVT and ECU are programmed so that it will change down on descending a hill.

I think the car is getting better to drive with every trip. I did 250 miles of motorway and A road the other day in some comfort and style and returned in excess of 37 mpg on the gizmo in the car. Before that I hadn't reset it from new and it was showing 32.2.

So I'm pleased with mine.

(I'm no technician but I couldn't follow some of what was said about the Audi. Why would a CVT have seven clutches?)
(I'm no technician but I couldn't follow some of what was said about the Audi. Why would a CVT have seven clutches?)

Unlike a "conventional" automatic gearbox, a Multitronic gearbox does not have a torque converter between the engine and gearbox. Instead it has a clutch (like a manual gearbox).

This clutch is electronically controlled, and comprises (among other things) a pack of six clutch plates. These have proved prone to wearing, and the symptom of this is juddering when moving off. In recent years, Audi have been fitting a redesigned clutch assembly which has seven plates and is less prone to the problem.

Audi ARE trying to tackle the problems, and they WILL succeed. Audi are a quality company, whatever anyone says.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Avant
"I don't see any advantage whatsoever over a conventional automatic gearbox unless you are into cars that sound like sewing machines."

They don't sap the performance and use extra fuel in the same way that conventional automatics do.

I've had two cars with CVTs - an A4 2.5 TDI (no problems, worked very well) and a Mercedes B200 CDI (also reliable but the combination of CVT and the Mercedes's 4-cylinder diesel made an intolerable drone).

You need to try the particular car so equipped and see if you like it. But both my cars were new and there is evidence, as mentioned above, of expensive repairs when a CVT has done a high mileage. Mind you, that also seems to be increasingly true of turbodiesel engines if they haven't been driven considerately.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - bintang
No problem with my Fiat Punto, 40,000 miles before I sold it, although the change points were not always what I would have chosen. Changes were smooth and otherwise probably better than the alternative Formula 1-type change that I could also enagage. They must be simpler boxes that conventional automatics so maybe easier to maintain.
If it is a genuine CVT,there won't be any gearchanges!!
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - bintang
True, should have explained I meant that the ratio chosen sometimes seemed to cause the engine to labour slightly.
Unlike a "conventional" automatic gearbox, a Multitronic gearbox does not have a torque converter between the engine and gearbox. Instead it has a clutch (like a manual gearbox). >>

OK. The Qashqai has a torque converter. IIRC, the problem with some of the Volvo CVTs was that there was a clutch in those.

I'm a bit baffled by what bintang says about "change points". As I understand it, there aren't such things on a CVT unless you engage the tiptronic effect.

I think the boxes are simpler and certainly lighter. I did consider a diesel Qashqai with a conventional auto but you had to hve 4WD which I didn't want, and given potential problems with the DPF I'm glad I got the petrol, though I doubt my driving style would have brought about problems.

Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - turbo11
A mate of mines Audi A6 avant is on its third multitronic box. The first replacement box was done under warranty. The second was out of warranty and set him back £5K. Ouch!.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Lud
I drove an early CVT car a bit, a Volvo-badged enlarged DAF with a renault 1100 engine and DAF rubber-band transmission.

It wasn't a very nice car but the transmission worked all right, making a faint whistling noise sometimes on the overrun. I never got used to the way it sounded though, with the engine revving quite high at a constant speed as the car accelerated. You could make it sound better by lifting off, but then of course it stopped accelerating.

A properly sorted and adequately strong cvt could be nice in a large-engined car though, one that didn't need most of its available power to provide any urge. But as far as I know no one has made a CVT suitable for that sort of use, and their longevity remains suspect even in the low-powered models that offer them.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - bathtub tom
>>made by DAF who I believe pioneered CVT technology.

I think Mobylette and Raleigh mopeds may have preceeded DAF with CVT. A simple system that involved only one set of variable pulleys and a spring loaded, swinging engine.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - dxp55
The Daf system used a centrifugal clutch - the engine flywheel had eight small brake shoe type clutch pads four trailing and four leading - the trailing ones gave the initial take up then the four leading bit in at higher revs -They were cross springed with soft and hard springs the clutch drum was like a drake drum and took drive to rear -- drive then was by two centrifugal belt drives on my Daf44 - later models had a diff and one belt. mine was good in snow due to two belts giving limited slip diff effect -- I liked my Daf 44 Estate
Here's something to make ya'll larf ... imagine the 'ultimate driving machines' being fitted with a CVT (hahahahaha!)
A properly sorted and adequately strong cvt could be nice in a large-engined car though >>

Not sure how large an engine Lud had in mind, but Nissan use a CVT in their 3.5 Muranos and Altimas.

I like the look of the Murano but not the thought of the fuel bills!

Here's something to make ya'll larf ... imagine the 'ultimate driving machines' being fitted with
a CVT (hahahahaha!)

Erm....You are not a fan of BMW, are you?
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Harleyman
In a somewhat cruder fashion, the technology goes back to the Rudge Multi motorcycle built during the early years of the last century.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Cheeky
My mum had a 1979 Honda Accord 'Hondamatic'. Think that was CVT. Smooth, accelerated well too. Revved like a banshee on the motorway though. Was doing something like 4500 at 70-80. Think it only had 2 speeds. 'Low' (to 50 MPH) and Drive.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - bell boy
i had forgotten about the hondamatic
lovely auto boxes with the star for the overdrive
never thought of them as cvt so interesting
"never thought of them as cvt" .....That'll be because they weren't - conventional auto box.
Actually, "Hondamatic" was a type all of its own.

See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hondamatic

And yes, it did originally have just two forward gears!
>>> Erm....You are not a fan of BMW, are you? <<<

Sure am! I was sticking my neck out actually as I wasn't sure that BMW hadn't gone weird and fitted a CVT to any of its models (yet!)
p.s. the 2 Hondamatics that I owned were an improvement on the daft-Daf set-up but I still prefer a good old gas-guzzling liquid flywheel plus me planet & sun gears.
If they were banned overnight, and there's no telling with THIS government - I could possibly be pursuaded to go DSG, if I had my arm bent up my back and was hit over the head with a cudgel
It is certainly -as the cliche goes - a funny old world! We both like Automatic Gearboxes and BMWs, but diverge completely from there.

I think that the humble 2 litre diesel engine in my BMW is great. I wouldn't swap it for any other 4 pot diesel. It is great with a manual gearbox, however the torque converter/planetary gear automatic box ruin the driving experience IMHO. (And I have driven several examples of the car, all the same). You really notice how much the power is getting sapped by the auto box, and it changes gear far too quickly, even in "sport" mode.

I think that the engine is crying out for a DSG-type gearbox. I tried an Audi with a DSG and I was well impressed. Oh well! As you say, at least they don't fit CVT gearboxes!

P.S. the MINI did have a CVT gearbox - I don't know if that counts as a BMW.
Alas, I'm one of those sad types that don't own a BMW, but I have had a couple - a 320 and a 525e which were both petrol auto's
Some injuns just don't suit an autobox IMO - and that comes from mucho experience.
My present chariot is an 05 Almera 1.8 auto which seems (to me) an ideal engine gearbox mating and although I've owned it for an awful long time (for me!) of 2.5 years - I'm lothe to swap it as its going so well but ... I have had my beedie little eye on a few 3 series coupe's :)

>>> P.S. the MINI did have a CVT gearbox - I don't know if that counts as a BMW. <<<

Hahaha! - you might have me there comrade?
My present chariot is an 05 Almera 1.8 auto which seems (to me) an ideal engine gearbox mating>>

Yep, I really liked mine: surprising fun to drive for the 5.5 years of ownership of what many people think of as a stodgy car.

Qashqai is smoother and I can see it being kept at least as long.

BTW the ultimate driving machine doesn't have to go fast all the time to be that, does it?

BTW the ultimate driving machine doesn't have to go fast all the time to be that, does it?

Very true. It's all about the car feeling RIGHT. Personally, I don't drive fast at all, actually. I'm very laid back, in fact, and speed limit concious. I don't accelerate hard and everyone beats me away from lights! I have no points on my licence.

My criticism with the BMW gearbox is that it doesn't feel right in the car, compared to a manual. It changes at the wrong time, such as halfway round a bend.

Prior to this I had an 97-reg Nissan Primera Automatic with a 2 litre petrol engine. Now that DID feel right. Nowhere near as quick as my current car on paper, but it felt perfect to drive.

I would have replaced it with another Primera, but they had stopped making them, and I don't like the replacement one little bit (the "Cash Cow"). Shame.
>>> Yep, I really liked mine: surprising fun to drive for the 5.5 years of ownership of what many people think of as a stodgy car. <<<

Yes!, the Almera does have a somewhat staid image although the later ones were much improved ... also, I'm not overfond of the Auris/Corolla/Astra/Focus, asthetically speaking but I think the Qashqai is grrrrrrrrrreat!

>>> BTW the ultimate driving machine doesn't have to go fast all the time to be that, does it? <<<

Nay, I was refering to a BMW ... mind you. I did take the Almera up to 70MPH on my way back from B & Q this morning :-D
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - William Stevenson
This topic of transmission is a complete mystery to me. One way to deal with it is:
Buy Astra 1.6 manual transmission in 1994. Run it for 14+ years and 150,000 miles and do not change transmission oil. Have no problems, change gear perfectly umpteen times with no effort.
Buy Honda Jazz manual, and repeat above, except that they want transmission oil changed after several years. Find that gear change is even better and even less effort.
Why is it a mystery? The OP either needs one (out of necessity, perhaps) or simply wants one. No problem with either. Totally agree that the course you've recommended is sensible and practical - but the topic in hand does ask about autos and not manuals and need not be mysterious.
I just wondered how these type of gear boxes worked and if in reality they actually worked well.

I have never driven a CVT based car so I could not comment if they were any good.
As the OP to this thread, and after all the replies attempting to be helpful, how do you feel about CVT gearboxes now?
I actually like the idea of how these gear boxes work.

I would imagine there are less losses in power compared to a conventional automatic.

I may drive one some day just to see what they are like.

Thanks for all of the answers, certainly educated myself.
Fair question then diddy...and of the 31 cars I've owned only two have been auto and the most recent, the Jazz, is CVT. The other was the Yaris auto - which was fine by me. Personally, I think it's absolutely fine and would have another.....but then I'd also have a conventional autobox as well....it just happens that the Jazz auto came as a CVT - I drove the new one (automated manual) and didn't like it as much but that has been covered elsewhere here. The CVT generally seems to be out of favour with most here - which is fine by me, I simply take it for what it is. Round town I find it the easiest thing in the world to drive - smooth and quiet, and on the open road it goes as well as the manual and cruises at a lower rpm than the manual, as I understand it by reference to HJ's tests. It costs more - but so what. It could be that the automated manuals are OK if you get used to them and I'd give them more attention if need be but for the present I'm very happy to mimse around town in this one......maybe I just need to slip that Panama hat on that's in the cupboard... :-)
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Dave_TD
My dad had an E reg 340 CVT for a year or so around 1990 - despite my protestations on the test drive that it had the economy of a 2.8 Granada Scorpio coupled to the performance of a 950 Fiesta I think he bought the cursed thing just to prove me wrong.

He then proceeded to drive it everywhere never revving the engine over 2500rpm in the name of economy, which made for even slower progress than you'd expect as the gearbox hunted between the ratio for acceleration and the ratio for a steady cruise... A feather-light touch on the throttle would send the revs skywards with no corresponding increase in urge - the equivalent action in a manual would be to continually change from 4th to 2nd and back again at a steady 30mph. while matching the revs to maintain a rock-steady road speed.

He let me have a go in it once not long after passing my driving test, then promptly told me to stop after I accelerated it smartly to 30mph and allowed it to settle into a higher ratio. This was because I was "thrashing" it...

Dave TD

Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - mattbod
Must admit that the theory sounds good but I do not like the way they scream up to high revs and the rest of the car catches up. Later ones might be better though....
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Martin Devon
I would have told Audi, whoever they are, to stick their gearbox where the sun don't shine.

How old was this car? 5K Pah!

I am constantly amazed............MD
I'd imagine that they are much better in a bigger engined car where you don't have the "slipping clutch" effect that you do in smaller cars. A friend of mine had this box in a motability supplied Escort and Rover Metro and both snapped belts. I understand the metal belts used now are better however.
What Escort had a CVT???
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Altea Ego
Awful horrid whiney things.

engines sound best when working up and down the rev range, not whining along at the same revs.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Number_Cruncher
>>where you don't have the "slipping clutch" effect that you do in smaller cars

That's a key and important part of CVT operation.

To get the theoretical best possible acceleration from a car, you must hold the engine at the speed for maximum power, and adjust the ratios accordingly as the car speeds up to keep it there.

Despite sounding wrong to someone used to a manual gearbox, this is the optimum; the best!

To then be able to go to the other end of the gearing spectrum while cruising gives you good economy.

If these gearboxes can be made to last, then I would be very happy with one. As yet, I remain to be convinced on that score.

Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Harmattan
I was trying to stay out of yet another CVT thread but it has suddenly started to become clear why I had around 100,000 miles of trouble-free CVT motoring in late 90`s Escorts and Fiestas. Many posters don't seem to have driven one and have picked up on old stories. The descriptions of high revs and slow catch-up suggest that drivers have been thrashing them and smacks of a lack of mechanical appreciation and sympathy. I was never slow away in the traffic-light grands prix but never found it necessary to floor the accelerator pedal and hold high rpm. I think maybe subconsciously I was tailoring rpm to achievable speed. Maybe the Ford garage that serviced our company cars was especially good at setting up the CVTs -- a colleague had only one gearbox problem fixed by adjustment in 90,000 miles -- but I doubt it. I would have no hesitation about buying a new car equipped with CVT but I am having doubts now about a secondhand one unless I saw the original owner demonstrating how he or she drives it.

Edited by Harmattan on 29/07/2009 at 11:30

I'd agree with the above post and it's interesting to see the revived thread on the Prius which is a CVT.

I spent some time researching CVT before I bought one and the main reservation from the many apart from the "slipping clutch" effect (which you quickly learn to deal with but can use to disappear into the distance from the lights if you want) seemed to be the question of longevity.

My understanding is that current CVTs use a new generation of fluid and that makes a significant difference to performance as well as to longevity. I imagine other recent improvements in technology help in the hardware, too.

As I've said I like mine, but if it disintegrates I'll post accordingly.

As mentioned above,the control system on the Ford CVT needed someone who knew what they were doing to set up the control cables-not a job for the average mechanic and especially not an apprentice..I don't remember any Escort having a CVT-perhaps someone could enlighten me.I can remember an American three-speed conventional auto g/box in Escorts that was almost as big as the engine.

Edited by jc2 on 29/07/2009 at 12:11

Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Harmattan
Introduced 1989 according to Glass's website; see also car-by-car this site. The one I did 70k in was a new 1997 one followed a year later (really) by a Fiesta Ghia with CVT in which I did the other 30-35k. Lots of motorway miles but also the Heathrow M25 stop-start every day plus 30 miles of daily mixed urban/suburban.
Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - nortones2
The Prius seems like a CVT, and the press call it a CVT, but it isn't like the type of CVT used in the Audi, or other belted devices. It has a "sun and planet gears" arrangement, so no belts and variable pulleys. Description of the radically different "power split device" here: tinyurl.com/e2joz

Do CVT gearboxes actually work ? - Chris S
Honda C90s have CVT boxes and they have a good reputation for reliablility.
The Escort my friend had was a 1992 mark5 1.6.

Not strictly a CVT but can anyone shed any light as to the gearbox of the prototype Mini at Gaydon Heritage centre with only one forward and reverse gear. How did they pull this off to achieve a wide range of road speeds? It was not a cvt.