96 1.3 Correct width for aux. belt. - Rattle
Just being given me dads car a bit of a health check and apart from the stem seals being so worn its now burning at least 1 litre of oil per 1k miles I discovered the aux belt is only 1cm in width instead of the good inch its suppsed to be. I can see where it looks like it has almost been torn off.

Is this how belts inc cam belts usualy wear? My dad dosn't seem to think its a problem but when the belt gets that thin surely its only a matter of time? It drives the PAS, alternator and water pump so its quite important on this car.

Edited by Pugugly on 15/07/2009 at 22:48

Aux belt lost correct thickness - is this normal? - Pugugly
Make, model, engine and year please Rattle.
Aux belt lost correct thickness - is this normal? - Rattle
Was just a general thread but I suppose it might be more normal on some cars than others. Fiesta 96/97 1.3 with PAS (completly different belt to none PAS models).
Just to make this clear I am talking about the width of the belt rather than the actual thickness as such. The thickness is about 2mm which I suspect is ok. Just seen pics of when we first got the car and its a good inch thick so it has happened quite recently, I suspect my dad did in fact know about this fault but decided not to tell me because he knows I will tell him he needs to replace it.
Changed the heading for you.
Aux belt lost correct thickness - is this normal? - bell boy
well a 96/97 fiesta could be either mk3 or mk 4
completely different engine and belt set ups too between them
MK4 1.3 Ghia so its the Endura engine. I have found a pic of the engine when I first got the car and it was the full thickness then. 3/4 of the pulleys are bare e.g there is no belt left driving on that area. It has power steering but no aircon. I was looking at doing this myself but there is an engine mount in the way and then you have to tension it etc so I am not going to even dream of doing the job.

The car is a December 1997 R Reg but being a 1.3 Ghia they never sold and it was actually built in April 96 so its one of the very first MK4s.

Edited by Rattle on 15/07/2009 at 22:41

Changed it again :-o
i would say the hardest part is working out how the belt goes back on as last one i did on a mk 4 was a diesel and it certainly had me scratching my head
In that case the usual bloke will just tell my dad to leave it till it snaps :( What is likely to have happened to the rest of the belt? I could get pics up tomorrow if it will help. It just seems odd.
these belts are good for 100,00 mile or 10 years,looks like your dads went looking for the serpentine and a holiday as its past retirement age
I didn't even know they were supposed to last that long. I do check these things quite often so it must have happened recently. The car has done 81k now (same as my Corsa) but I suppose the age damages as much as anything as its rubber.

How long will it take an indie to it? I assume apart from the tension and working out how it goes you have to remove the engine mount and then support the engine from the floor? Its a far cry from using a bit of old sock.
about 35 minutes