Diesel oil change advice - PhilW
Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere but after 15 years of owning Cits with XUD engines I have aquired the habit of giving them an oil and filter change every 5000 miles. My wife has graduated to an HDi and when I changed my oil yesterday she asked whether I was going to do her car's. When checking her oil I have noticed that it remains much cleaner looking than mine and the level hasn't dropped a mm in 5000 miles. Is it a good idea, or necessary to change the oil as frequently in an HDi? Service interval specifies 12,500 miles which seems a long way to me. Car does a variety of short journeys to work and longer weekend runs and its last 5k miles included a trip to Spain.
Thanks
PhilW
Diesel oil change advice - lezebre
You can't change a car's oil too often, the only reason not to carry on as you have been is for an (insignificat really) economy, or being @rsed.

One thing I've learned in the last few days here, is I'm going to go on changing my oil every six months, but now the car's had a few fills of synth and things stay nice and clean, I'm going to start leaving my filter on for a year from now on.
Diesel oil change advice - PhilW
Thanks chaps - will get some half price oil in France next booze trip!
PhilW
Diesel oil change advice - JohnD
Hi Phil - One of my daughters has recently changed from XUD to HDI, and I also was amazed to read the oil change recommendation at 12500. You may be sure that it will get an intermediate change. Also with French oil!
Diesel oil change advice - Vansboy
I've noticed that on quite a few vans with these engines, when they go through the auction, they sometimes have a 'top end' engine noise.
Probably a combination of stretched service intervals, missed services, low oil level & cold engines.
Stick with 5000mls maximum.
Mark