06 1.6 Poor starting Intermittently - DaveELeg
Hi

My Astra Design (06) has a intermittent starting problem. More often than not it starts on the button, but occasionally, normally when warm, it will take a good 5 seconds of turning to start, then splutter into life. I have been informed it smells of petrol when it does - which figures!

Any ideas? The intermittent thing leads me towards a sensor or something, rather than any regular service item?

Cheers

Dave

06 1.6 Poor starting Intermittently - Daveeleg
Any ideas on this chaps? I don't want to let a dealer chase this, as it could go on forever. I've changed plugs, oil and filter, air filter, pollen filter.

Should I be looking at the fuel or ignition side next? Thinking maybe coil packs? Or maybe a sensor - crank position maybe? Would any of these show these symptoms?

Would any of this show on a tech2? Have never seen an EML come on...

Still random - does it every couple of days, seemingly when warm

Cheers
06 1.6 Poor starting Intermittently - Victorbox
My 06 1.6 Zafira does this very occasionally if hot and I try to start it again within a minute or so of first stopping. Never really thought of it as a fault as 5 seconds cranking is nothing. I used to drive automatic choke carburettor cars - now they really took some cranking. It's when it won't start - that's a fault! Just over rich fuelling for a second or two hence petrol smell.
06 1.6 Poor starting Intermittently - redviper
My Astra G '52 plate 1.6 would do exactly the same, when cold (no matter how cold) it got, it would start 1st time on the button but every now and again when it was hot, it would take about 5 seconds of cranking to get it to start

never saw it as a fault just "one of them things"
Hmmm OK... maybe I'm looking too deep into it.

Its just the randomness of it that got me - and, to be honest, a bit embarassing for a (quite) new car...

06 1.6 Poor starting Intermittently - piston power
I have the same engine sxi sports hatch, do you let it crank over and NOT touch the accelerator?

Mine does it when warm now and again also is a little hesitent when up hill's at about 30-40 in 3rd now and again thought about cleaning egr valve these seem to be the bug bear of cars today!
bigtee - No I don't touch the throttle at all. Just turn the key and wait. When it is normal it fires instantly. When is it being slow it will take 5 secs, and then when it fires it will 'chug' a little into life- maybe like its a bit flooded temporarily or something. Clears almost instantly though.

06 1.6 Poor starting Intermittently - topbloke
cant see it as a fuel problem as you can smell the fuel, cant see it as a crank sensor fault as it would not inject fuel (that you can smell during cranking) only thing that i can think off at moment is fuel pressure being a bit low during startup when hot but why so random and a few others reporting the same,Regards TB