Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - L'escargot
I wish car manufacturers would offer the option of lower gearing so that I could have better acceleration from my car's puny 2 litre engine but with a top speed of, say, only 80 mph.

Edited by L'escargot on 11/07/2009 at 17:16

Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Robin Reliant
Possibly it could then be reving it's whatsits off in top and drinking fuel?
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Old Navy
Motorway cruise at 7,000+ revs? Hope it comes with earplugs and a big fuel tank.

Edited by Old Navy on 11/07/2009 at 18:24

Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Rattle
Just change down a gear? In Wales if I needed to get up a hill I was belting it in 3rd at 60mph with the engine screaming at 5000rpm it did the job though! 5th gear is simply for relaxed quiet motorway cruising if you need acceleration drop down a gear.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - SteVee
I agree - just change down.
Some 2litre engines can spin the wheels in 3rd - even 4th gear - with grippy tyres. I'm thinking especially of the Honda Civic Type R. You could probably get close to 70MPH in 2nd gear - and it will happily start in 2nd.
No shortage of acceleration either :-)
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - bell boy
what the op is saying
i think
is that gearboxes have to cover every angle from a tow start with 4 up and all your luggage to a blast on the motorway with the boot in the wilton
it therefore follows that gearboxes in the intermadiary settings can be woefully useless when trying to get to say 70 mph fast
we must all have driven vehicles where some gears like 3rd are useless and very rarely used?
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - SteVee
>>some gears like 3rd are useless and very rarely used?<<

In the 2Litre category ?
I've driven some cars with close ratio boxes where block shifting was a requirement, but I can't think of any recent 2L manual cars that have trouble getting to 70.
What cars are thinking of BB ?

I don't have any trouble getting my 1.2 8V clio to 70, the 2l primera certainly has no problems.

80 MPH probably requires about 20-30 BHP so why restrict a 2L car to this speed with gearing ?
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - bell boy
i wasnt thinking any car
i was saying that many is the time that an intermidiate gear was next to useless
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Avant
"....my car's puny 2 litre engine...."

It must be a big car, L'Escargot, for a 2-litre to seem puny - or maybe the particular gear ratios in your car aren't well suited to the engine. Tell us - what is it?

. The VAG 2.0 TDI in my Octavia vRS has a gear for every occasion and a good wallop of acceleration whenever needed. If you don't like diesels the VAG 1.4 TSI turbo petrol engine would probably suit you and avoid snail-like progress.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Brian Tryzers
>"....my car's puny 2 litre engine...."

It can't possibly be the same 2-litre petrol Focus that Professor Helix was telling us only the other day gave better torque at the wheels - and hence performance - than an equivalent diesel. Can it?

};---)
better torque at the wheels - and hence performance -
than an equivalent diesel. Can it?

Yes. The equivalent size diesel is even more puny.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Carl2
I wish you could still buy cars fitted with an overdrive. Don't see the point in having a high top speed on our roads. I often wonder if getting rid of a high top speed would help driveability by not having to compromise on cams / inlet velocity etc etc
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - David Horn
I can get nearly 80mph out of 3rd gear in my Passat TDI, couldn't really ask for more than that. It'll even spin the wheels in 3rd on a wet road.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - TimOrridge
I can get nearly 80mph out of 3rd gear in my Passat TDI couldn't really
ask for more than that. It'll even spin the wheels in 3rd on a wet
road.

Me too. My "puny" 2.0 has a quoted power output of ONLY 134 bhp while it will only do 70 in 3rd, is like a bullet over 4000 rpm in 1,2 and 3rd gears.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Lygonos
Some 2litre engines can spin the wheels in 3rd - even 4th gear - with grippy tyres. I'm thinking especially of the Honda Civic Type R.<<

Um, no.

No turbo = no torque.

Unless you're on wet cobbles and driving like a goat.

Edited by Lygonos on 12/07/2009 at 02:50

Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - gordonbennet
Those of you with wheelspin problems in third gear should buy some decent quality tyres, and chuck the ditchfinders where they belong.

Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Manatee
Um no.
No turbo = no torque.
Unless you're on wet cobbles and driving like a goat.

No - it's all about power. You're confusing torque at the flywheel with torque at the wheels. The Type R revs to over 8000 and has gears to match. I'm quite sure it can spin the wheels in third without benefit of wet cobbles, especially as it's front wheel drive.

Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Westpig
surely spinning the wheels of a petrol 2 litre car, on a dry road, in 3rd gear.. is all about 'talk' not 'torque'...;-)
Nope. It's all about torque at the wheels and nothing about power. It's a function of engine torque x mechanical gearing (not including tyre/road friction coefficients).

That's why turbo-diesels have traction control over 110bhp these days - massive torque at low engine speeds = tyre shredding.

I can assure that normal acceleration (eg foot flat in 1st, then into 2nd, then into 3rd) in a Type R doesn't produce wheelspin in 3rd/4th - without dumping the clutch at high revs and low engine speed. Almost any FWD car will do it if abused in that way.
I wish you could still buy cars fitted with an overdrive. >>

My car has two overdrive gears, 5th and 6th.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - mike hannon
I don't know much about modern cars but I do know that in France you can buy cars with a development of what I know as 'cruise control' that is actually a speed limiter - prevents the vehicle exceeding a set speed. They call it a 'regulateur de vitesse'.
I guess such things are available on the UK market as well?
Why not just buy a car fitted with one of these devices so maximum speed is never an issue, and just boot it a bit in the lower gears for brisk progress?
......... just boot it a bit in the lower gears for
brisk progress?

I was thinking that you could have the lower gears even lower than they are now.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Andrew-T
You could have the lower gears even lower than they are now

All you need do, Les, to achieve the results in your OP, is to fit 12 or 13-inch wheels ...
a 'regulateur de vitesse'. >>

Is this standard fit or an aftermarket accessory?
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Andrew-T
A development of what I know as 'cruise control' that is actually a speed limiter

I understood that was all CC is - it tries to keep the car at the speed you tell it. Or am I barking (up the wrong tree) ?
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - commerdriver
cruise control in most cases allows you to override it upwards and then will return to the set speed when you lift off, I would imagine a speed limiter would not allow this when you are at the "maximum" set speed
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Farmer Boy
Isn't this what gears are for? You don't have to exceed the speed limit unless you want to (illegally)

People who buy a car costing several tens of thousands of pounds which will do 150mph+ are not going to stick to a speed limit of less than half this - are they?
Isn't this what gears are for? You don't have to exceed the speed limit unless
you want to (illegally)

If the lower gears were lower than they are now, you could have even better acceleration. I'd sooner have high acceleration, than a high top speed which I can't legally use.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Number_Cruncher
In general, at design time,

There will be a gradient requirement which effectively sets first gear.

The ratio of either top gear -1 or top gear -2 will be set so that the maximum engine power and the vehicle's drag (or road load) power cross - this is the gear which will give the vehicle's maximum speed.

The gears above this will be set to allow a good, quiet, and efficient cruise. Despite being a higher gear, the car will not be able to reach the vehicle's top speed in these higher gears, owing to insufficient engine power to overcome road load power.

The gears between first and the gear tuned for maximum top speed are typically spaced using a mathematical progression.

This means that you should have more than the range of gears you need.

Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - lotusexige
The gears between first and the gear tuned for maximum top speed are typically spaced
using a mathematical progression.

Further to the mathematical progression the theoty onec was that you should be able to change up at peak power and be at peak torque in the next gear.
As an aside on that someone, Weslake I think, said that it is not peak power that matters but total power under the curve.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Manatee
>>If the lower gears were lower than they are now, you could have even better acceleration. I'd sooner have high acceleration, than a high top speed which I can't legally use.

But you have lower gears to use if you want to stay in them? You can leave it in third on the open road if you like so you always have decent acceleration at the press of a pedal - but I bet you don't. As NC says, you should have all the gears you need - if you put a lower diff in I doubt you'd get materially different acceleration, as it's primarily a function of the power available.

Be careful what you wish for. Our 30 year old Land Rover is in top by 20mph. At 45 the transmission noise is enough to make your ears bleed, and you're reaching for another gear but you've run out of them.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Avant
I think I now see the point L'Escargot is making. A 2.0-litre petrol Focus is probably designed to give more oomph at motorway speeds, but is maybe little if any livelier around town than the smaller-engined versions.

In the 1990s SWMBO had a 1.4 Renault Clio which was disappointingly sluggish, whereas a 1.2 that we had as a loan car seemed quite a lot more energetic - no doubt because it was lower-geared.

Edited by Avant on 12/07/2009 at 16:13

Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - mike hannon
> >> a 'regulateur de vitesse'. >>

Optional fitment, at least on Citroens AFAIK. Not an aftermarket accessory.
Mike may be able to correct me, but isn't regulateur - in this context - simply French for cruise control? I noticed matrix signs on the A10 near Poitiers last month advising me to turn mine off on the approach to a péage station.
Had one of these variable speed limiting things on a MAN truck in the 80's, very useful you could set the speed up to it's maximum speed of 95 (not saying whether kph or not..;) and by keeping your foot to the floor would maintain that speed.

I prefer that to cruise to be honest.
I prefer that to cruise to be honest.

>>
I take it that HGV cruise control has progressed beond a house brick on the accelerator pedal.
I take it that HGV cruise control has progressed beond a house brick on the
accelerator pedal.

My first cruise on the 'mickey mouse' Foden was the correctly cut length of wood, obligingly left by the previous jockey..;)

Quite up to date now and easier to set/alter than most cars, but to be honest i rarely use it, and used it probably twice in 18 months on our pick up.
Overrated.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - boxsterboy
> >> a 'regulateur de vitesse'. >>
Optional fitment at least on Citroens AFAIK. Not an aftermarket accessory.

Standard on many French cars these days, and some German - e.g. Mercedes. Very handy tool to avoid a ticket on those sections of motorway road works that have a low limit with Specs cameras on them.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Kevin
Mr Snail,

If you're prepared to give up top speed and economy, why not change the diff ratio?

It's a common "upgrade" for the traffic-light grand prix fans in the U.S.

Kevin...

Edited by Kevin on 13/07/2009 at 00:02

Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - b308
I'm not bothered about traffic light grand prixs so am not interested in gearing for them, but it would be nice if they geared cars for maximim economy at 70/75mph, that way if you want to go faster then fine, but those of us who can't be bothered mixing it in the outside lane could cruise along knowing that we have the best possible fuel consumption!

Oh, and whilst we are on gearing, a gear ratio that suits the engine/car for running at a constant 30mph so you are not having to labour it in too high a gear or revving too high in a lower one...

Please!
Maximum economy for cars is usually around 30-40mph in top gear.

Wind resistance rapidly becomes the major factor, rather than engine efficiency.
Yes, I know, but I was thinking of max economy at 70 (motorway cruising speed), as I said correct gearing for 30mph running would also be nice... gearing for 70 at 2000rpm would be ideal for my car, but instead its geared at 2500/70, it could do with a sixth gear, perhaps...

My car wont run in 6th gear below about 60mph, 4th is ideal for 30mph.

It is at 2,000rpm at 70mph in 6th, almost on the max torque point, so about optimum for economy.

Edited by Old Navy on 13/07/2009 at 09:41

Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - TimOrridge
>>

I thought the most ecomonical speed was 56mph as that all the car manafacturers quote best figures on?
The old standards for fuel economy were 'urban cycle', constant 56mph, and constant 75mph. These were changed around 15-20yrs ago to the current urban/extra-urban/combined.

The best mpg from the old standards would always be the 56mph test, but as I mentioned before the very best fuel economy is around 30-40mph as the engine is just able to run in top gear without undue labouring.

I recall a test in WhatCar? about 2 yrs ago with 6 or 7 different cars at steady speeds from 30 to 90. Every car's fuel economy dropped at each 10mph interval, with the worst being the least aerodynamic vehicles or those with relatively low gearing for high speed (I think Citroen C1 and Qashqai showed the biggest falls at 70+ mph).

tinyurl.com/mpgmyth
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Farmer Boy
I'm not bothered about traffic light grand prixs so am not interested in gearing for
them but it would be nice if they geared cars for maximim economy at 70/75mph
that way if you want to go faster then fine but those of us who
can't be bothered mixing it in the outside lane could cruise along knowing that we
have the best possible fuel consumption!

It's comforting to hear some sence for a change someone wanting transport and not motor sport!

There are some of us about, content with following at a reasonable distance at an economical speed
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - LikedDrivingOnce
Well said Farmer Boy. A voice of sanity.

I am an enthusiast for cars because I admire good engineering, not because I fantasize that I am Jenson Button!

Also, good points made by b308 up-thread. The problem with setting up the gears for maximum efficiency at certain speeds is compounded by the fact that manufacturers just offer a standard setup for all of their cars, whereas different countries have adopted slightly different legal speed limits.

You would expect German manufacturers to set their cars up for German roads, naturally.

You would expect German manufacturers to set their cars up for German roads naturally.

Agree with that, every good (larger engined) German car i've driven has had better acceleration at progressively higher speeds, sometimes at the expense of initial take off.
Suppose the manufacturer set up the gearing for best econonmy at 70mph. That in fact would be a pretty hig gear as it would mean that you would achieve 70mph at full throttle on a level road with no headwind. Any incline whatsoever or any headwind whatsoever would mean changeing down at least one gear so top gear would in fact only be of any use in ideal conditions. With top being so high the spaceing of the other gears would would of course be wider than ideal. Therfore, the ratio of the top gear will have to be a compromise between ideal for economy and allowing some leeway for the real world.
I might be reading you wrong, L, but if you set up the gearing so at 70 the engine was running at its most economical it would not be running at max revs - in my car it would be fine for it to be geared at 2000rpm at 70, its got plenty of torque down to 1500rpm so only the really steep hills on the Autobahns would cause me to have to change down.
>>it would not be running at max revs

nobody said it would
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Rover P6B
Regarding fuel economy, my parents' BMW E39 520i Touring (1.6 tonnes approx, 2171cc, 168bhp) is actually at its happiest and most economical (around 40MPG) at 80-90mph... now, if only all cars were that good.
Wow - never knew Bavaria had defied the laws of physics.
>>it would not be running at max revs
nobody said it would

"it would mean that you would achieve 70mph at full throttle on a level road with no headwind"

I'm am obviously reading that the wrong way, then?
>>I'm am obviously reading that the wrong way, then?

Bluntly, yes!

The throttle position isn't directly linked to engine speed.

The way I read it (obviously incorrectly) was that at 70mph (I assumed steady 70, not accelerating up to 70 as my post did not talk about accelerating, just travelling at a steady 70) it would run at full throttle, I feel my interpretation of the wording is just as acceptable as yours, though I now see where the poster was coming from!
I feel my interpretation of the wording is just as acceptable as yours

You may feel what you like!

;-)

An engine tuned for maximum economy at 70 mph would not be revving anywhere near maximum revs, although it migh be operating at nearly wide open throttle. I'm afraid your interpretation makes no mechanical sense at all. Sorry.

Now I'm getting a little lost... and have probably found why I'm not with you! Are you saying that if my car was operating at peak torque (Which would also be best rpm taking into account any undulations in the road - say 2200rpm) at 70 it would also have max throttle opening? I've always thought that max throttle opening would be "foot to the floor", but thats obviously not the case from your posts...

Any chance you could put an explanation in layman's terms for me, NC? ;)
>>Are you saying that if my car was operating at peak torque (Which would also be best rpm taking into account any undulations in the road - say 2200rpm) at 70 it would also have max throttle opening?

Yes - but, obviously as all car engines are vastly oversized, it would soon accelerate beyond 70.

>>I've always thought that max throttle opening would be "foot to the floor", but thats obviously not the case from your posts...

Yes, there's no conflict here.

If the engine were set up to just be able to do 70, as per lotusexige's post, with your foot nearly flat to the floor, it would be quite economical. It wouldn't necessarily be revving like mad. However, if you came to a hill, or faced a headwind, you wouldn't be able to maintain 70mph.

If you can think graphically,...

Imagine a graph with road speed in mph along the x axis, and power in BHP running up the y axis.

If you calculate the total drag power for the car and driveline at each road speed, you'll get a curve which starts off at a small power at lower road speeds, rising quite rapidly at higer road speeds as aerodynamic drag begins to dominate.

If now you super impose the engine's power curve onto the graph (imagine that you have drawn it onto a transparent sheet which you overlay and can slide left and right, but cannot move up and down). If you slide the engine's power curve to the left of the graph, that's a lower gear, and the difference in height between the two graphs means that there is lots of available power to accelerate the car.

Remember that the drag power curve is concave upwards, and the engine's power curve is concave downwards.

As you slide the engine power curve to the right, effectively mimicing a higher gear, you'll reach a point where the graphs will cross - somewhere just beyond peak engine power).

By arranging the crossing point to fall at the peak engine power, the road speed which corresponds to this particular crossing point is the maximum speed the car could ever theoretically acheive with perfectly chosen gearing.

If you continue to slide the engine power graph to the right, the rev range where the engine power is above the road load power becomes narrower, and the height difference between the two curves, the available power becomes less. This is the regime which Lotusexige was describing.

Eventually, continuing to slide the engine power curve to the right, you'll reach a point where the engine power is always below the road load power, and the vehicle could never drive in that gear - it would stall from any engine speed with any throttle opening.

Thanks, NC!
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Lud
70mph at full throttle on a level road with no headwind"

Actually in an engine tuned for economy, full throttle is very economical. In the days when British cars in particular were quite low-geared, Mobil Economy Run contenders used to drive in a totally horrible way, banging the car into top at some very low speed and driving at full throttle until it reached 50 or so, then turning the engine off and coasting back down to the lowest speed, full throttle again to 50, and so on all the way to John O'Groats...

The lowest circle of the Inferno, my dears... 95 mpg with a carb notwithstanding...

Edited by Lud on 14/07/2009 at 21:07

>>full throttle is very economical

Yes, because energy is not being wasted dragging air across a closed throttle.

If you look at an engine performance map, you'll see that in order to get the most power per unit fuel, you run the engine at near the maximum torque speed, at about 3/4 of full load.

Herein is one of the big advantages of the traditional diesel engine - there's no throttle, and so, part load efficiency is not compromised.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - Lud
wasted dragging air across a closed throttle.

Just so NC... yet in the carb days high inlet vacuum (which you got on lowish part throttle rather than wide open) used to equate to good fuel consumption if the carb was any good.

I know you think carbs are an inefficient old way of metering air-fuel mixture, as of course they are, but you have to love the things like Harrison chronometers... of course I mean well-designed ones for their purpose, not horrid Ford or GM model-specific devices which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't...
>>yet in the carb days

Nothing has changed.

A wide open throttle gives good power per unit fuel, but, as most engines were and still are grossly oversized, yo get the best out of the vehicle at near closed throttle, hence the desire for high manifold vacuum.

Yes, I'm not mad keen on carbs - a modern fuel injection system can do far more.

That's not say I don't admire the admirable simplicity of something like a nice SU with a side sprung needle (non of the old jet centreing nonsense!). However, anyone who has ever struggled with something truly horrid like a Solex 4A1 won't be mad keen to repeat the experience.

The 4A1 is a true villain of a carb, it makes carbs like the Ford VV look rather tame!

I know you think carbs are an inefficient old way of metering air-fuel mixture as
of course they are but you have to love the things like Harrison chronometers... of
course I mean well-designed ones for their purpose not horrid Ford or GM model-specific devices
which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't...

A nice DCOE Weber, a beautifly enginered instrument designed to give the wrong mixture under all conditions. Don't forget the lovely sound.
Maximum speed of cars versus 70 mph limit - CGNorwich
Oh, and whilst we are on gearing, a gear ratio that suits the engine/car for running at a constant 30mph so you are not having to labour it in too high a gear or revving too high in a lower one.

that would be 3rd gear on my Octavia :-)

Bravo, CGN! I've yet to drive a car that wasn't happy at 30 in third. But that's an argument for another thread, I think.
It is often mooted that town driving in 3rd is probably most sensible - you are more aware of the engine speed and are less likely to go over 30mpg. Also many modern cars won't pull much of a hill at 30 in 4th+.
Bravo CGN! I've yet to drive a car that wasn't happy at 30 in third.
But that's an argument for another thread I think.

If your ever in my area you can try mine, subject to insurance. It is a bit on the extreme side though.