Washer bottle algae - Happy Blue!
As you may have seen in technical, a problem with my washers turned out to be green jellified algae at the washer pump. I was 'comforted' by the news that BMWs suffer the same problem........

Any ideas for the reasons it appears and how you stop it forming?
Washer bottle algae - L'escargot
I asked a similar question some time ago. tinyurl.com/n5cxvq
Apparently algae will even form in fuel oil and diesel storage tanks.

Edited by L'escargot on 09/07/2009 at 08:52

Washer bottle algae - Hamsafar
It is more likely to be bacteria blooms, as there is no light to support algae.
It feeds off screenwash that has broken down and has depleted preservative. It is certainly bacteria which forms in diesel.

Always allow screenwash to run out before refilling to allow a complete renewal.

Edited by Hamsafar on 09/07/2009 at 11:40

Washer bottle algae - Cliff Pope
There's a special additive for diesel. It's well-known in the marine world - I think the damp atmosphere makes it more of a problem there than on land.

For washer fluid - what about a few drops of bleach? Not enough to damage the paint, obviously.
Washer bottle algae - bathtub tom
When the kids were younger I used Milton sterilising solution.

What do caravanners do about their drinking water containers?
Washer bottle algae - dieselfitter
It's an annoying problem. The recommendation I have seen (and use myself) is from Quentin Willson - use the maximum full winter strength of screenwash additive all year round. Screenwash contains alcohol (usually recycled propanol, I think), and at concentrations above about 20%, it is effective at discouraging bacterial growth.
Washer bottle algae - kithmo
When the kids were younger I used Milton sterilising solution.
What do caravanners do about their drinking water containers?

The same, or at least I used to.
Washer bottle algae - Harleyman
Apparently algae will even form in fuel oil and diesel storage tanks.

You'd think in this day and age there'd be a "natural" way of getting rid of the algae...... a small snail perhaps? ;-)
Washer bottle algae - Chris S
I add a dash of methylated spirit to mine. It helps clean the windscreen and acts as an anti-freeze as well.

Edited by Chris S on 09/07/2009 at 13:36

Washer bottle algae - FotheringtonThomas
Bung a bit of ordinary bleach into it (*not* lavatory cleaner).
Washer bottle algae - Armitage Shanks {p}
It seems that mixing brands of screenwash can be bad. I found my car full of the smell of hot dead dogs! Drained the whole system by pumping thru front and rear washers and then refilled with one brand. A bit of bleach or Dettol won't go amiss either - kills all known germs and Dettol smells nice, if you are into nurses!
Washer bottle algae - Happy Blue!
You know, I did mix brands and wonder if that jellied things up.

Anyway all nice and clean now, and will keep it so.
Washer bottle algae - MikeTorque
Keeping a high concentration of washer fluid in the washer bottle will prevent the problem occurring. I use around 30% washer fluid mixture all year round, never get any problems.
Washer bottle algae - crunch_time
A few drops of ordinary household disinfectant (no more than a teaspoonful max) will do the trick, added to a full bottle.