99 1.9 GT TDI PD lack of power turbo issue? - andykb
Hi,

Im after a bit of advice please as we have just had a turbo replaced on our Golf GT TDIPD, its done 70k miles and in general its been ok.

I dont drive it that often but when i did last week it felt considerably down on power, when it went into the garage they said the turbo had gone, when they test drove it there was a considerable noise front the engine and white smoke from the exhaust. They replaced the turbo for £900 and we got it back.
It is now chucking out a hell of alot of blue smoke and there is oil all over the rear of the car, and i cant get it past 80mph on the m-way.

Is this normal after a turbo failure with the oil? could it be something else? valve dropped?
piston ring? loss of compression?

I havent got a clue dont really i dont want the same guys to have a look so i may have to look for a VAG indie mech than pay main dealer rates.

Any help would be greatly received...Andy
99 1.9 GT TDI PD lack of power turbo issue? - craig-pd130

Something's definitely not right with the "new" turbo.

Is it definitely oil on the back of the car? Could be one of the oil seals in the new turbo is gone already, or the turbo isn't the right model, or an intercooler hose isn't fitted right, or any number of things.

I would suggest taking it back to the garage that fitted the turbo and telling them it ain't fixed. If you don't give them a reasonable chance to sort it out, then you've thrown away the £900 they charged you.

If they can't (or won't) sort it out, then you can tell them you'll take it elsewhere to be fixed and that you will pursue them for some of the costs of their work.

Good luck.
99 1.9 GT TDI PD lack of power turbo issue? - Roly93
It may not have been the turbo in the first place, as if the car isn't used much, these variable nozzle turbos tend to have a habit of jamming, meaning that the variable nozzle vanes do not open to let the turbo come 'on boost'.

However if they have replaced it and you have loads of oil loss, it is highly likely that it is the new turbo bearings/seals are at fault causing the smoke etc.

70K is nothing realy for these engines.
99 1.9 GT TDI PD lack of power turbo issue? - johnsheldon
I have a Mk 5 Golf 1.9TD and the turbo "blew up" (I'm not very technical) damaging the exhaust and cat. The car was towed to the nearest VW main dealer and the cost was estimated at £2k less a contribution from VW Customer Services (the car is 3 years 11 months old) of 35%. The car has a full service history and has covered 60k miles. I was advised to claim for the difference against the supplying dealer under the Sale of Goods Act as the turbo should have a "reasonable" life expectancy similar to that of the vehicle. The supplying dealer was given the opportunity of inspecting the vehicle but has said that they don't want to know. Any thoughts on the chance of success in recovering the money using the Small Claims Court procedure?