Harleyman's suggestion ! - Sand-Spider
Hi Harleyman.

You kindly posted on my "Another vague what car should I buy thread" a week or so ago, suggesting a Hyundai Coupe. I was intrigued, and asked you a few follow up questions, but you probably didn't see the response, so I'll just post it again here - I'd be greatful if you could give me a bit more information:

Harleyman, I am definitely tempted by a V6 Hyundai Coupe. Had a quick look at them on ebay, and for the price, that is indeed a lot of car, plus all the extras you could wish for, and Japanese reliability... Do you have the V6 version? Do you service it yourself? If so, is it hard to do? (I do quite a lot of work on my 944 myself, but it's a bit of a beast to work on) What sort of fuel consumption do you get? Anyway, good suggestion, thanks. (Also went from the Coupe to looking at Toyota Celicas, but that's another story :s)

Many thanks,

Giles

Drop down menus empowered and subject line tweaked

Edited by Pugugly on 08/07/2009 at 20:35

Message for Harleyman - Harleyman
Mine's a 2001 2.0 SE; the short-lived version with the re-styled front end (four headlights) but older rear.

I don't service it myself, but received wisdom is that they're not hard to work on. The pnly known hassles are the front brake discs, had been changed on mine before I bought it so not a prob for me. Apart from routine servicing it has cost me nothing in 18 months.

I was tempted by the V-6 but they are a bit thirsty for my pocket to sustain. the 2.0 gives around 35 mpg overall, as much performance as I need, handles well and it's extremely comfortable. I was in the Swansea dealership today actually; talking to the salesman I was told the V-6 has now been discontinued and is unlikely to re-appear.

A read through road tests of the S111 tells me that Hyundai continue to improve them. There was one in the showroom today, brand new drive away for 12 grand. Got to be a bargain.

Harleyman's suggestion ! - stunorthants26
My mum has a 2005 V6 Coupe with 42k on the clock.

One note, its korean, not japanese. Economy is about 24 in town, rising to 32 on long journeys. Its not a car that likes stop start traffic economy-wise.
Harleyman's suggestion ! - bell boy
good link nice appraisal but the sand man wants to buy possibly a throw away lemon from an internet source not a new one
ive never owned a coupe
i have owned undies
the price of parts is eye watering for simple stuff
ive known a major problem with immobilisors on this car
i like undies
but i see them for what they are
no more no less
sand man,be aware a bargain in the advert might be a get rid at any cost from the last owners techie who has to fix it
Harleyman's suggestion ! - Harleyman
HJ, I was very tempted, but ended up coming home with an i10 instead! Well, it'll be there in September anyway so that'll be goodbye to the missus' old Punto!
Harleyman's suggestion ! - moonshine {P}
Hi Harleyman,

Seems like a lot of people are buying i10s at the moment, we bought one the other week. What did the dealer tell you about delivery dates? Our dealer didn't what to commit to a date. We are actually hoping for September delivery so we can get it on a 59 plate.
Harleyman's suggestion ! - Harleyman
In his words, "about ten weeks" so it'll be September anyway.

Doesn't really matter to us; wife's Punto has MOT till end of September and we have the Coupe as well, plus my old pick-up so we're not short of wheels; in fact the whole exercise should be quite a relief to my wallet in the longer term since (regrettably) the Coupe's going as well.

I was rather reluctant to take this last step till I'd actually driven the i10; whilst it's obviously no substitute for the Coupe I was impressed by the feel of it compared to everything else in the price bracket.

I'll try to keep a comparison of costs; should make interesting reading for those who (like me) have been kidding themselves for far too long that two cars are essential.
Harleyman's suggestion ! - Sand-Spider
Hi all.

Thanks for the replies.

Harleyman - looks like I'd better test drive the S111 Coupe as well as the V6! He didn't happen to mention why the V6 was discontinued did he?

Stu - thanks for the consumption figures, similar to the 944 so not too bad. And good point, Korea not Japan! Asian reliability then?!

Bell boy, thanks for the heads up re parts prices. Can you give me an example offhand? (Bearing in mind I'm used to paying for Porsche parts, or more usually, OEM stuff!) Don't worry, I've seen a fair few cars in my time, and if I get serious about one I'll get it inspected by someone who knows Coupes.

Cheers,

Giles
Harleyman's suggestion ! - stunorthants26
I would suspect the V6 was discontinued because it is a high CO2 version, in a now low CO2 world. Incidentally, id suggest trying an auto V6 as I hear it is the best combination with the engine - the manual is a bit notchy. Must be said that the SIII 2.0 has a far superior gear change although noticably slower than the V6 in a straightline.
The gearbox really does need a good 15 miles to warm through before it starts giving really sweet changes, much like some more exotic stuff!

Asian reliability... aside from problems with the alarm which on ours is a Cobra system, we have has the climate control worked on as the fan lost its lower speeds and also the stereo was replaced due to an intermittant fault with feed to the rear speakers.
As far as the alarm goes, Cobra came in and fitted a whole new system under warranty to our car, which has been perfect since fitted and is a known problem so make sure its been upgraded.

Tyres on the V6 are about £120-140, expect to get about 20k from the fronts, ours still wears its original rears although they have been shifted to the front.
Harleyman's suggestion ! - helicopter
I must be getting old ..

Bellboy said

but i see them for what they are
no more no less >

-- I just wondered why the backroom was discussing Y fronts until I cottoned on...
Harleyman's suggestion ! - helicopter

Because he was talking about undies that is.....

and then I misread the price of ' parts' as the price of ' pants'

Can somebody remind me of the internet site for cheap specs please...