Driving tests-or lack of them - Sherwood
A recent press article stated that the number of people taking driving tests is deminishing because they are told,the exam is too difficult,particulary the theory tests.Consequently they are not bothering taking any driving test at all.Therefore we have the usual senario of people driving around with no licence,no tax,no insurance etc.Any suggestions how we can get solve this problem?
I am in favour of the French system i.e. lock up the car and remove to a compound until all fines are paid.
Driving tests-or lack of them - Dave_TD
Some adaptation of the German number plate system perhaps?
Where the a stamp for the MoT and a stamp for the insurance are part of the plate, and the plate is attached (not literally!) to the owner, rather than the vehicle.

Also, why don't we make it law in the UK to display tax discs in the BACK window...? Think about it, how often do you look at someone's windscreen? Rarely. And how about their back window? Every set of traffic lights, zebra crossing, traffic jam....
Driving tests-or lack of them - Tom Shaw
There have been two major causes of people driving without a licence in the last few years. The first is the theory test, introduced in 1996. Like most instructors, I was staggered by the number of young people, almost all male who are either illiterate or whose understanding of basic English is so poor that they are effectively so. These people often pick up practical driving skills fairly easily, but cannot pass the theory test. I have had pupils who have reached test standard on their driving and given up after failing as many as seven theory tests. I am sure that more than a few of these have joined the army of illegal drivers now on the roads.

The second was the law introduced in 1997 which revoked a new drivers licence if he (mostly) or she accumulated six points during their first two years of driving. Well under than half of those who reverted to learner status under this law have bothered to re-apply for a driving test. One would have to have a very optimistic view of human nature to believe that most of those had simply given up driving.

The answer? More traffic patrols instead of cameras, jail for those caught driving without a licence.
Driving tests-or lack of them - Ian (Cape Town)
>>I was staggered by the number of young people, almost all male >>who are either illiterate or whose understanding of basic English is so poor that they are effectively so.

R U sayin the kids iz thik? :)

In our land, where semi-illiteracy is common due to the evil workings of the previous regime, the law allows prospective learner-drivers to undergo an oral test.
Driving tests-or lack of them - Obsolete
Tom

You give some fascinating insights. Surely the powers to be must be aware of the problems you highlight? Cannot an examinee request that the theory test be read out question by question?

I see a lot of unmarked patrol cars on the M3 and they see to concentrate on stopping speeding motorists. And yet 75% of accidents occur in 30 mph zones.

How about compulsory road awareness training for those with a history of accidents? Most accidents are due to driver error.
Oral tests are available to theory test candidates, but ONLY to those who are dyslexic, for which they need to provide medical proof. In any case, it is the study of the subject beforehand that gives problems to the illiterate. Those who suffer from this mostly come from the bottom of the education system and have difficulty in learning any academic subject.

The authorities are well aware of this situation, but I have not seen any plans to tackle it.
Driving tests-or lack of them - THe Growler
I see two possible issues here:

(a) we are demanding far too much of our youngsters these days. Many of them have not even mastered the complexities of wearing a baseball cap correctly before society's demands force them to face situations in which they are expected them to recall with 10% accuracy complex and detailed information about, for example which side of the road one is supposed to drive on. If large numbers of our young people are being seriously disadvantaged as a result obviously therefore the theory test is far too difficult and should be simplified. In summary, I put it to you, is it appropriate in today's world to demand unconditionally that all levels of our youth be expected to walk and chew gum at the same time?

On the second matter, I propose a Third Way:

(b) the present driving testing system clings to the outdated and demeaning notion that it is possible to "fail" at something because one is "not good enough". These are archaic elitist concepts which have no place in modern Britain (er, sorry Europe, old habits die hard y'know), concepts that put those in our society who are more challenged than others at risk of unhealthful stress with possible long-term personality damage from the resultant feelings of inadequacy in society. I am in favour of everybody passing the driving test and simply being graded according to his or her performance. This will remove the stigma of failuire from the exercise and ensure at a stroke that everyone will be a competent driver immediately and the statistics will be able to show that revising the test has made a major contribution to reducing the number for unlicensed drivers.

Longer term of course, the aim should be to remove the opprobium engendered by the judgemental word "test" with its associations that some people may be better drivers than others. Society as it is developing must continue to eradicate any suggestion of elitism.

Small wonder that growing minorities of society are rejecting entirely the idea that they have to take a humiliating test before they are allowed to take their place on our roads.

Change is inevitable -- progress is optional.
Driving tests-or lack of them - The Watcher
Sorry Growler but never have I read so much rubbish inmy life! We expect too much from youngsters? The very same youngsters we let lose on our roads with minimal training and post test supervision or restrictions? Pull the other one.

if 'youngsters' want to drive, then they have to prove they have attained a better than good standard. All to often lads shun work and exams at school but think they have a god given right to own and drive a car, well, imho they have neither. It has to be earnt.

As for saying failure to pass a rudimentary UK driving test is elitist, words fail me. Once your grading idea is introduced, how do you propose it is policed considering the number of drivers who have failed the current test are driving around undetected?
Driving tests-or lack of them - Obsolete
Watcher: I suspect there was a hint of humour in Growler's posting.
Driving tests-or lack of them - T Lucas
If caught driving without licence and or without insurance,big fine and crush the car,keep them off the road.
Driving tests-or lack of them - THe Growler
Sorry, Watcher, I just thought it fitted quite well with the New Labour/Eurotopia way of thinking. Ah well, as they say, it's the pioneers who get all the arrows ;-)

Driving tests-or lack of them - Ian (Cape Town)
Just thinking... how do illiterate people find their way about, if they have a bother reading roadsigns...
Driving tests-or lack of them - Cardew
Growler,
Great post.
Perhaps on this one occaision you should have borrowed Toad's slogan - implied smiley etc!
C
Driving tests-or lack of them - BrianW
Surely the passing of the theory test should be a pre-requisite for starting on practical training, thus removing the temptation to carry on driving unsupervised after failing the theory.

The other requirement remains more police on the roads, compulsory carrying of licences and spot checks in the same way that VED is done now.
On the other hand that would only be a road safety measure and not one which increases revenue, so no resources would be available.
Serious point though, no safety measures seem to happen now unless there is a revenue payback.
Using simulation testing - THe Growler
I do some consulting in the area of recruitment of Filipino workers for overseas jobs, inc, interalia nursing, in US, UK Australia, Canada. I am presently looking at ways of preparing job candidates for these tests to make sure they pass. Overseas recruiters are paying fees to get good people and pass rates are quite low right now.

There are a number of standard tests (spoken and written English, relevant professional quals) which are taken in a mix of face to face oral and computer-based theory testing. These tests are a global standard designed to prove the candidate has what she/he says she has by way of the written certficate of qualifications. Currently a certificate of pass in these will be mandatory for the recruiting agent to present for visa processing purposes.

Each test is preceded by a brief tutorial, which includes not only how to address the test but also some basic keyboard practice for those who need it.

I would have thought this concept an ideal way of addressing driving test theory testing. It could also be combined with practical driving assessment in a simulated situation before the candidate is presebnted for the test per se. Internet cafes and places which carry gaming facilities could offer DIY practice on driving test lessons, too.

Using simulation testing - Sherwood
Thanks for the replies Guys & Gals.I agree with you all even The growlers cynical one,I don't think the government has the bottle to deal with the problem I have the impression they are receiving too much revenue from fines they dole out.This problem is now 1 in 5 drivers with no insurance etc costing all the law abiding drivers £50 each this is raeching almost epidemic proportions.As per the some of the suggestions although I agree I fear even less will take the test.There must be some workable system.
Using simulation testing - Sherwood
Thanks for the replies Guys & Gals.I agree with you all even The growlers cynical one,I don't think the government has the bottle to deal with the problem I have the impression they are receiving too much revenue from fines they dole out.This problem is now 1 in 5 drivers with no insurance etc costing all the law abiding drivers £50 each this is raeching almost epidemic proportions.As for the suggestions although I agree I fear even less will take the test.There must be some workable system.
The best thing to do with the Theory Test would be to scrap it entirely. It has proved to be a complete waste of time, and you will not find many driving instructors or examiners who would disagree with me. The old system where the examiner asked the candidate up to a dozen Highway Code questions at the end of the practical test was much better. The questions were based on road signs and markings, and because the question could be asked in any form the candidate had to have a better understanding of the subject, not just the ability to pick the correct answer from the four or five provided, all of which are published in book form and on the internet.

Driving is a practical skill. The person who can correctly point out the vehicle causing a hazard in a printed picture is probably the one who will drive on unaware of it in real life, and the opposite applies to the one who cannot get to grips with a written test. The main requirements of driving theory are to understand the road signs, signals and markings which form the basic rules of the road, everything else comes with experience.

Some of the questions in the theory test are ridculous - What documents do you have to take with you when taxing a vehicle - So what if you don't know, you just get sent away to get the correct ones. Nothing about road safety on that one. The Theory Test is nothing more than polititicians doing something for the sake of being seen to do it, it hasn't made the slightest difference to road safety.

And of course, it makes lots of money.