Fiesta steering, or doesn't!!! - Alex Scrumpy
Hellllllp...!!! i'm a pretty good mechanic, but this one had got me stumped and i don't want to waste perfectly good riding weather trying to find out whats wrong with my car!!! it's an L-reg ford fiesta (the missus's old motor)and the steering had got stiffer and stiffer, almost like if you have a flat tire, it'll free up occasionally, but then just get worse again!!

my thoughts are that:

A) the steering rack has warped some how.... don't know what would have caused this!!

OR

B) The ball joints or something has rusted up some how!?!

Anyone got any ideas???
Fiesta steering, or doesn't!!! - M.M
Very common for the steering column UJ to seize and give this fault. It is located just above the rack and can easily be seen from underneath.

Now and again I've had it turn out to be the rack but they are dirt cheap.

Often with a stiff UJ folks complain the steering doesn't self-center and that makes it wandery to drive.

David W
that's exactly the problem!!!! what's the cure? wd40????
Fiesta steering, or doesn't!!! - M.M
Well you could support both front wheels free of the ground and try WD40 while turning the steering to and fro, then if it frees off follow up with say engine oil in a trigger can.

As I'm doing them for customers I usually fit a new joint so I don't get it back in two months having gone stiff again. On your own car the WD40/oil option is worth a try.

David W
cheers thanks for the advice!!! i'll give it a go!!