98 1.6 Intermittent erratic idling or total loss o - john50
My VTS has done 52000miles and has now developed an intermittent fault/faults. Every couple of days or so the engine will stutter slightly and then on tickover (normally 1000 revs) the revs drop to about 500 and then pick up back to 1000, then drop again and so on, taking about a second to drop/rise again. This is a definite rhythm and not erratic. The symptom will go away again just as suddenly later in the day and then drives fine for the rest of the journey.
Less frequently, about 3/4 times in the last month, the engine loses all power while driving- no warning lights come on until you coast to a stop and dip the clutch, then just the usual lights are on. The engine will restart straight away and may be fine or may have the fast/slow tickover described above. The car passed the MOT last week and had it's last full service in July 2008, 7000 miles ago.
The car is being PX for a new one under the Scrappage scheme, but there is a 3 month wait for the new car. Therefore I am reluctant to give the garage an open cheque book to change everything they can think of when it may still come back faulty. However I am not looking forward to another 3 months of potential engine cut-outs, and would be very grateful if anyone has any suggestions for where to look first, even if I have to take it to the garage for them to do. Thank you in advance.
98 1.6 Intermittent erratic idling or total loss o - madf
Sounds like: the the crank sensor failing.
(common fault)...Intermittent cut outs when hot are the sympton. Replacement cost £50 ish..
Or the connector plug is corroded.
It will not show a fault code if the crank sensor fails.

Alternatively the idle speed control motor is faulty (another common fault).New one c £80...

Edited by madf on 26/06/2009 at 16:18