Parking Enforcement and common sense. - Mr X
Before commenting, take time to read the story.
tinyurl.com/n3x6xq

It is clear that due to wholly exceptional circumstances, this street was trying to carry on the best it could.
What where the residents supposed to do- rush out and sell their vehicles until such time as work had been completed ?

Reading the piece, it appears that even during the actual flooding, with fire brigade on the scene, the leaches of the parking company where still trying to extract money from people who put saving their valuables and homes before the question of whether they had over stayed their a lotted parking time or not parked in the right bay.

Clearly, indiscriminate parking can lead to safety issues and congestion but some times there are other matters that need attending to first.

I have this vision of a town or city in the Uk being wiped out by a terrorist nuclear device but the remaining jobs worths still moving slowly around devastated streets, looking for cars who had over stayed their paid for parking times because their owners had been incinerated.
Parking Enforcement and common sense. - Westpig
if you pay people the minimum wage and give them targets to adhere to, this is what you get

if however you asked your employees to consider the overall policy, then go and do your job with common sense, didn't measure their performance crudely, but did so in other ways....then it would improve

nice to see the council spokesman/woman agreed with the Police Inspector's common sense actions (not)
Parking Enforcement and common sense. - nortones2
The LA seem stubbornly awkward! Full marks to the police.
Parking Enforcement and common sense. - gordonbennet
People standing together as one against the parasites, does the heart good, would have liked to have witnessed that.

Wonder why many city wardens seem to have a particularly obnoxious attitude, not all mind, some are jovial and reasonable.

Wouldn't be surprised to see other similar reactions in the future, a fiscally strained, spied upon, cheesed off and fleeced populace finally starting to turn?

Parking Enforcement and common sense. - Rattle
The problem is who wants to be a traffic warden? Probably nobody so it will be very hard to find good quality candidates but I am sure there are some. I am sure they earn more than I do as well but I much rather a job where you're making friends with the general public and not enemies. I hate conflict.

The atttidue of Lambeth council seems very much like I would expect mine to behave, which is why I constantly try and vote them out but it never works.

I've actually got nothing against traffic wardens and 95% of the time I am sure the booking is 100% justified. I still get very annoyed at the same motoroists in the same cars parking outside yellow lines outside my local school at closing, they never seem to learn.
Parking Enforcement and common sense. - CGNorwich
The problem is who wants to be a traffic warden?

Lots of people. I think you will find there is a large waiting list in most areas. Wouldn't mind giving it go a go myself. If there were no parking wardens most cites would grind to a halt. Unfortunately you cannot rely on people to comply with the law on a voluntary basis, there has to be some enforcement.
Parking Enforcement and common sense. - Mr X
' If there were no parking wardens most cites would grind to a halt. " True but is Lambeth a City ?

Having turned to a private company to enforce parking in my neck of the woods, one of the local milkmen has received two tickets whilst away from his float delivering milk to the 3rd floor of some flats around at 7.30 am.
These flats are NOT located on any sort of commuter route or through road but a street that does not carry busses nor is an access road for any business premises or school.
The street in question is two vehicles wide and on both occasions he was not parked opposite another vehicle.

The enforcement company are struggling to find middle of the town, double yellow line parkers and have therefor decided to spread the net as far a field as possible. The lines in question are from the road was a through road before becoming a cul de sac.

Where is the common sense in denying people the right to have milk delivered ?
Parking Enforcement and common sense. - Old Navy
Wouldn't be surprised to see other similar reactions in the future a fiscally strained spied
upon cheesed off and fleeced populace finally starting to turn?

I agree, people will only put up with a limited amount of crap. Hopefully this is getting through to our leaders at the moment.
Parking Enforcement and common sense. - Fullchat
Your hoping Old Navy, they are thicker skinned than that :-]
Parking Enforcement and common sense. - L'escargot
I never cease to be amazed by the weird parking situations some people manage to get themselves into. In all my 50-odd years of motoring I've never once had a parking related problem. Is it because I'm careful where I park, or have I just been lucky?
Parking Enforcement and common sense. - b308
Not enough info to make any comments other than the residents could be right and so could the LA about the law in the last para...

My first question would be: "If there is a line of cars parked down the centre like his can the Fire Brigade/Ambulance get down and back out without any hindrance?"

If the answer is Yes, then I'm with the residents, if No, with the LA...
Parking Enforcement and common sense. - Westpig
There's no apparent reason for some parking restrictions in London Boroughs e.g. some really wide roads that really wouldn't matter if people parked in them have vast swathes of yellow lines. Some of it must be the general dissuasion of driving in general.

No decent folk really mind parking restrictions if there's good reason, but restrictions for restrictions sake and/or the unwillingness to apply common sense...now that's irritating.

The police were called for this matter. I'm sure the Inspector would have had the residents move if he thought it to be dangerous.

Parking Enforcement and common sense. - grumpyscot
Just after the Bishopsgate boming in 1993, we got a pass fro the City of London Police to take our van into the exclusion zone so that we could remove highly sensitive documents and bonds from a damaged building. The traffic wardens came along and booked us, asthey had not received any instructions to say that the yellow lines now meant nothing, as our police pass actually gave us permision to park on double yellows.

We took the ticket, went back to the Guild Hall to renew our pass for the next day - the guy at the desk just ripped up our ticket and told us to forget it. Apparently the wardens issued over 200 tickets that Monday! All were cancelled!