More cash for the coffers..U hev bin varned - Dwight Van Driver
w.e.f. 30 th June

An Order increases the fixed penalty from £30 to £60 for

the offences under section 14 (seat belts: adults),

15(2) and 15(4) (restrictions on carrying children not wearing seat belts in motor vehicles) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and

under section 59 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (failure to fix prescribed registration mark to a vehicle in accordance with regulations made under section 23(4)(a) of that Act).

dvd

More cash for the coffers..U hev bin varned - b308
They deserve to be fined even more, especially for not having their kids belted up...
More cash for the coffers..U hev bin varned - DP
I agree - no excuse for carrying kids unbelted.
More cash for the coffers..U hev bin varned - teabelly
No, it's Darwinism. The kind of thickos that have unbelted kids aren't those that we wish to see further their genes and dilute the already shallow intelligence gene pool :-)
More cash for the coffers..U hev bin varned - redviper
I 3rd that, there is no reason, or excuse why children should not be belted up in the back, its common sence, and if you drive around and dont belt in your children, then you deserver to be fined. IMO
More cash for the coffers..U hev bin varned - bell boy
i was belted when i was a kid
never did me no harm,i said.......
More cash for the coffers..U hev bin varned - stunorthants26
Far the worst offenders I see are the parents who belt them selves up yet leave their children unbelted - borders on child neglect if you ask me.
More cash for the coffers..U hev bin varned - Martin Devon
I told SWMBO to belt up...........................Doctor said it should heal in 3-4 weeks.

MD
More cash for the coffers..U hev bin varned - Lud
It seems little short of miraculous that the car-owning classes survived six decades of cars with drum brakes, no crumple zones, cart springs, no belts or airbags, rear-hinged doors, unpadded facias and steering columns reaching unbroken from in front of the front axle to a projecting boss with a horn button and a couple of controls for mixture and ignition timing in the middle of the wheel. Especially as they were chain-smoking with one hand and making hand direction signals with the other, needing their third hand of course for complicated double-declutching gear changes.

In fact it seems more than miraculous. One can only conclude that people had more brains then as well as more limbs.
More cash for the coffers..U hev bin varned - Alanovich
Lud, you do know that the road see far fewer deaths and fewer people die of smoking related diseases now, don't you? Some people survived all the evils you list, some didn't.

All of my grandparents died young of smoking related illnesses (one at 45), we've come a long way. Good job too. Given a straight choice of life in the forties or life in the noughties, I know where I'll go. And the pubs don't close after lunch, either.

Watching James May driving that old Jag XK last night demonstrated how dangerous old cars are - that steering column was pointed directly at his un-seatbelted heart. I enjoy looking at those things in museums, and it'd be nice to drive one occasionally, but by heck I'm happier in my 2006 Mazda 6 every day.
More cash for the coffers..U hev bin varned - redviper
Many Moons ago, my parents had this Fiat (i dont remeber what type).

As a baby i used to lie in a carry cot on the back seat, no seatbelts where installed and it just was placed on the back free to slide up and down as the car moved.

Next week I shall be making the journey to Bristol/Bath and we will be taking a 3 year old with us.

I would not dream of letting her travel without the seat and belts in the back. it just goes to show how times change and the risks that we "got away" with when the technology or thinking wasnt around.