Pregnant woman fined - Mr X
tinyurl.com/n5ylbd

I don't think she has much of a case to complain.
As has been pointed out on here many times, the Mother&Baby Space is there to allow a person to maneuver a child in and out of a car seat / pushchair .
Is she saying that being pregnant means she needs a special parking place in which case, how many weeks should this apply from - the day she takes the test ?

Are we going to see a demand for ' pregnant " car parking spaces designated for the use of pregnant people only.
Pregnant woman fined - Lud
How disappointing Mr X. I thought she might have been fined for being pregnant.

Surely there are quite enough people already?
Pregnant woman fined - daveyjp
The article suggests it's a private ticket so she can have the last laugh by not paying.
Pregnant woman fined - ForumNeedsModerating
>>How disappointing Mr X. I thought she might have been fined for being pregnant.

Sadly, it's too late then. Young women should be fined before they get pregnant; possession, as they say, is nine tenths of the law.
Pregnant woman fined - 1400ted
I would hope that the admirable Mr Prowse, being local, would have got in touch with the girl and explained the law on private parking companies.

Ted
Pregnant woman fined - Lygonos
Legally a foetus is not a child until it is outside the womb, whether it's at 1 month gestation or 9 months.
Pregnant woman fined - ifithelps
No doubt after the admirable Ms Fewling has given birth, she will be more than happy to give up the last mother and baby space to a woman who is merely pregnant.

Pregnant woman fined - TimOrridge
snip Assumptions Tim !

Edited by Pugugly on 19/06/2009 at 10:40

Pregnant woman fined - Bromptonaut
Mrs B would have been in similar discomfort in the latter stages with our two - some women just get very big apart from any other medical symptoms.

The bit that bothers me is the way the parking company seem to have appropriated the language of LA parking enforcement. Passing their goons off as CEO's (Civil Enforcement Officers) and their legally dubious demands as PCN's should be actionable.
I have no truck with these so called civil enforcement officers or the whole business of handing out ' fines' for perceived parking infringements on these retail parks.

It is the woman's viewpoint that I found objectionable. The idea that being pregnant required the use of a special parking place and some sort of special privilege.
Could we have a special ' feeling a bit tired parking only " spot at every supermarket and retail park for those who may be a bit under the weather ?
X,

Have you ever had the charactersitics of a beached whale and eight pounds of baby doing headsprings on your bladder?

Perhaps Mrs X, if there is one, can describe the symptoms of the third trimester.
Therefor, is it safe for heavily pregnant women to be driving. Are they in full control of their vehicle and able to react to hazards and conditions at the same speed as non pregnant drivers ?
X

A very small minority will be unsafe but same goes for people with migraine, allergies, stomach upsets or period pain. You cannot legislate for this stuff because, like the elf&safety paranoia you deprecate in another thread, it would bring the world to a halt.

You just have to rely on common sense and recognise that it will sometimes be absent.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 18/06/2009 at 22:38

Pregnant woman fined - L'escargot
Therefor is it safe for heavily pregnant women to be driving. Are they in full
control of their vehicle and able to react to hazards and conditions at the same
speed as non pregnant drivers ?

There are far more people (of both genders and all ages) who are psychologically incompatible with driving than there are pregnant women who are physically incompatible with driving.
Pregnant woman fined - b308
I have no truck with these so called civil enforcement officers or the whole business
of handing out ' fines' for perceived parking infringements on these retail parks.

What I want to know is where you draw the line... the "private" car parks put in markings which "help" certain minorities just like municiple car parks, and they also put time restrictions just like municiple car parks... the people who patrol them are only trying to ensure that people park according to the restrictions which is to the benefit of the majority of users... If you are talking of those clampers who go ott then I'd agree but I tend to view the ones who patrol the retail parks in the same way as I do those who do the municple car parks, they are damed if they do and damned if they don't, but they are doing a neccessary job, regretably many people will just ignore the markings like she did if they didn't...

You either don't agree with the restrictions in which case you want a free for all, or you agree with them, in which case you need to ensure that they are enforced, otherwise there's no point in having the restrictions in the first place...

Perhaps being someone who actually needs to be able to use disabled spaces when I have my wife with me makes me look at it from a different angle to some of you...
Pregnant woman fined - Altea Ego
There should be parking spaces and parking spaces. Nothing else.
Pregnant woman fined - b308
There should be parking spaces and parking spaces.

Are you changing into MrX by chance, AE?!

I refuse to bite on that one! ;)
>> There should be parking spaces and parking spaces.
Are you changing into MrX by chance AE?!
I refuse to bite on that one! ;)

He is my protoge, I taught him all he knows and I am proud of his progress.
Pregnant woman fined - kithmo
There should be parking spaces and parking spaces. Nothing else.
agreed, and they should be wide enough for anybody to open their car door fully without clouting the car next to it..

Pregnant woman fined - Cliff Pope
The idea that being pregnant required
the use of a special parking place and some sort of special privilege.

>>>>

Quite right. Never give up your seat to an old person or a lady, even if pregnant. It will only encourage them to try it on again.
Pregnant is not a disease around which you have no control. Its a choice. Along with all that goes with it.
Precisely AE
Pregnant women where getting around quite easily long before they had access to the family car or a car of their own. They carried shopping too and used busses along with their legs. Now it's treated as some sort of disability.
Pregnant woman fined - R40
Is becoming grumpy old men a choice in the same way..........or is it less natural? lol
Pregnant woman fined - Pugugly
Indeed - one complaint so-far about a rather "male" approach to this - keep it civilized please. The reality is that pregnant have to drive these days as we no longer live in communities where people can work, live and shop without resorting to the car. In the eyes of some here maybe they should stay at home and knit or something. Get real please ! :-)
Pregnant woman fined - kithmo
Could we have a special ' feeling a bit tired parking only " spot at
every supermarket and retail park for those who may be a bit under the weather
?

but how can you prove you are feeling a bit tired and not faking it. Being pregnant is a bit more obvious (athough that could be faked I suppose with cushion) ;0)
Pregnant woman fined - FP
This has been one of the most hilarious threads I've seen in the BR - for all the wrong reasons, I hasten to add.

A special thank-you to Lud and AE for providing the wind-ups and to you-know-who for responding predictably. Keep it up!
Funny... or sad.
I find it sad that some one who is merely pregnant feels that they deserve special treatment and over a parking space at that. This individual epitomised the ' me, me, me' culture that is now entrenched in British society.
Pregnant woman fined - Pugugly
I don't disagree with you on the specifics.
He still doesn't get it!
Pregnant woman fined - jbif
He still doesn't get it! >>

I think it is like the small time fisherman who goes out to catch the tiddlers but then gets some pretty [are AE and Lud pretty? ] clever sharks biting instead.

No, no, jbif - you've got it all wrong. Lud and AE are the fishermen (certainly not small-time) and they both got the same not-too-clever shark to bite!
Pregnant woman fined - FotheringtonThomas
I find it sad that some one who is merely pregnant feels that they deserve
special treatment and over a parking space at that. This individual epitomised the ' me
me me' culture that is now entrenched in British society.

Yes, quite right. People *used* to hold doors open for women, especially pregnant or old, give up their seats for them on buses and trains, and show consideration for others generally. That some complain over "some one who is merely pregnant" using a "parent and child" car park space is in my opinion a *prime* example of 'me me me culture".

Isn't it.
Pregnant woman fined - Mchenry
To use her argument, I would be justified in taking a handicapped person's parking space today because I have a degenerative condition which will put me in a wheelchair in 5 years.
Pregnant woman fined - ForumNeedsModerating
>>This individual epitomised the ' me, me, me' culture that is now entrenched in British society.

Well, if she were having twins, you'd be technically right at least. ;>

Although I made (what I thought at least) a jokey initial reply, I'm beginninng to think that some posters (and not just the OP) really do need to stock up on compassion pills & go back to be-a-bit-more-understanding school for some more lessons.

Looking at the size of the pregnant lady in question, it could be highly likely she'd find a 'standard' parking bay a bit if a squeeze & every bit of ease she could bring to her daily routine (e.g. being a bit closer to the shop entrance etc.) would be welcome.

There really are some uncharitable types about - not least the parking drones who picked her out for financial punishment. Never mind, providence often sends a lesson to those in need.