Quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - diddy1234
After a bit of reading I wondered whats the worst treatment for a car (regardless of engine type).

One of my mates brought an Audi once that had been sitting around not used for 6 months.
As a result lots of problems happened and eventually the auto gearbox broke.

Also if a car is thrashed repeatedly lots of problems happen.

So what is worse not used or thrashed ?

Edited by Pugugly on 17/06/2009 at 12:07

Quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - madux
You could do what a mechanic friend of mine did and forget to put any oil in the engine.......
Quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - redviper
or at the BTCC @ Croft this weekend.

The Chevy team sent a car round two laps without the oil filler cap on the engine, the team had left it in the Garage.

Serously one of the mechanics had neglected to replace it after a oil fil, after the line up lap and then the warm up car lines up on the start grid, and they noticed blue smoke belowing out the front, bonnet up and engine had emptied its contents all over the place there was oil every where

The guy in chanrge of the pit team was not best pleased., the engine itself sounded like a bag of nails.
Quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - gmac
Thrashing would indicate using it at or above maximum guidelines outlined by the manufacturer. Using any piece of machinery in such a way will always wear out quicker than no use.
However, not using a piece of equipment does not mean it can be neglected.
quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - DP
About the only way to kill a modern engine is to deliberately destroy it - i.e. run it without oil or coolant, or drive at speed, select a low gear and bang out the clutch, forcing it to massively over-rev.

Modern fuelling and ignition control, and conservatively set rev limiters make it extremely hard to over-drive an engine. Some, such as I've seen on BMW and certain Toyota models, even adapt the rev limiter to engine oil temperature. Almost idiot proof.

I know someone who killed a 2.0 petrol Astra engine in 7,000 miles by thrashing it up a long hill on stone cold oil 5 days a week without fail. Generally, modern engines tend to stand up to abuse extremely well.

Disuse is not good, and neither is skipped servicing, but again you don't hear of many failures caused by either.

Edited by DP on 17/06/2009 at 12:23

quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - Pizza man
Drive around in circles in reverse, radiator doesn't get any air-flow and the engine will overheat.
quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - perro
Pick the car up with a crane and drop the critter from a decent height.
*Please don't try this at home* - unless it's a Toyota Hilux.
quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - madf
Given the way chavs drive Astras , Novas and Saxos, modern cars are almost bullet proof.
quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - Dynamic Dave
Drive around in circles in reverse radiator doesn't get any air-flow

So what's the big cooling fan for then that is either electrically powered, or via the crankshaft?
quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - DP
There is an effective demonstration of the reverse driving method on YouTube somewhere, involving IIRC an old mk2 Cavalier. Bits of the inside of the engine end up on the outside very effectively indeed.
I think the fan is only designed to move enough air to dissipate heat from an idling engine, not one working hard.

Edited by DP on 17/06/2009 at 15:25

quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - Lygonos
How about www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhkAz6qossE

Apparently the engine was on its last legs before they started but it still lasted a few minutes of beasting.
quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - BB
Leaving a car with an oil cooler idling for too long on the path will make it sound like a bag of nails too.
quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - Lud
Cruelty to dumb machines (Lygonos's weblink). Nothing to laugh about really. Painful.

Edited by Lud on 17/06/2009 at 19:10

quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - Pugugly
What jolly neighbours they must be to have - the Neanderthal laugh at the end sums it up.
quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - bathtub tom
There's a U-tube link somewhere on the Ford Festiva forum (AKA kia Pride/ Mazda 121) that shows one being trashed with a brick on the throttle that finally submits after a very long time.

A follow up shows it being re-started to suffer the same indignity! Blowed if I can find it.

Some cars are practically unburstable - believe me, I've tortured mine!
quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - diddy1234
found this regarding running a honda civic engine with water where oil should be :-

videos.streetfire.net/video/95-Civic-D15-gets-abus...m

That's some solid engineering !
quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - zookeeper
Drive around in circles in reverse radiator doesn't get any air-flow and the engine will
overheat.

cant see that happening, the electric fan would cut in if the coolent got too hot, just like sitting in a traffic jam
quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - Pizza man
while the car si going around BACKWARDS the fan si trying to get the air to flow through the rad going the oppersite direction if anythign it's cancel out the backwards flowing air and cause it to overheat even quicker espeically with the extra load it's putting on the engine.
quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - grumpyscot
How to kill an engine - s l o w l y. While changing the spark plugs, brush all the dust etc that's lying around into those nice little holes where you later will fit the new plugs.

Or, as happened to me, have a mechanic lean over the engine while the radiator fill cap was off, and let a little lump of solder drop out your top pocket. He didn't notice - it jammed the water impeller, which stripped the gear off the camshaft (it was a Saab 900 - camshaft driven water pump) and ultimately cost me £800 to fix (that was in 1988).
quickest way to kill a car (not used or thrashed)? - glowplug
Give it to a BarryBoy to 'upgrade'

No quicker way to 'kill' a car.

Steve.