Jazz or Berlingo? - danensis
I can't make my mind up whether to buy a Jazz or Multispace II. At the moment I have a 12 year old Polo, which has served me well, but I'm finding the boot a bit small for my needs. I also have a child about to go to college, so suspect I may need a van!

The advantage of the Jazz is that you get everything included, whereas Citroen seem to want you to add everything useful as extras (like an alarm, and side airbags).

I can get the Berlingo XTR for not much more than the Jazz - although Honda do the full scrappage deal, whereas (and this might just be my local dealer) Citroen seem very reluctant to offer scrappage - they claim their "discounts" more than compensate for this - but leave me with the issue of selling my old car.

I don't like the idea of not having a spare wheel - although in 12 years of the Polo I've only ever had one puncture - and I didn't know about that until I went for a service.

I'm also concened about visibility - when I first got the Polo I had several near-misses on roundabouts with cars hiding behind the thick door pillars. I gather the Jazz has a similar problem?

I'm told Honda are more reliable than Citroen - any thoughts?
Jazz or Berlingo? - Lou_O
I can get the Berlingo XTR for not much more than the Jazz - although
Honda do the full scrappage deal whereas (and this might just be my local dealer)
Citroen seem very reluctant to offer scrappage

Try another dealer. The terms and conditions of the scrappage are well advertised on the Citroen website, if your local dealer won't play, someone else will.

No contest, across the range Honda are streets ahead when it comes to reliability. Whether the individual Jazz or Berlingo you buy will be reliable is a different matter, but the odds are more in your favour with a Honda.

Jazz or Berlingo? - b308
I would say what I said when others have asked about the Berlingo, compared with the MPV versions of the Superminis, the Berlingo is a BIG car, especially the new one, they are not really comparable. I looked at a Roomster and then went straight to a Citroen dealer, I couldn't believe just how much bigger the new Berlingo was!

If you want a small car with plenty of space there are several around which would be just as reliable as those you've mentioned... the Note, Meriva, 207 stationwagon, Roomster, Fabia Estate, probably some others as well, and my experience of Skodas is that they can easily give Honda a run for reliability.

Edited by b308 on 17/06/2009 at 11:48

Jazz or Berlingo? - Alanovich
Have you considered the Fiat Qubo? Berlingo style vehicle, but a bit smaller. HJ's review is of the rave variety. Should be able to get scrappage from a Fiat dealer too.
Jazz or Berlingo? - adverse camber
what about that new square thing? Soul?
Jazz or Berlingo? - b308
Not very big in the boot from the one I saw yesterday... really with these cars its a question of actually looking at them and seeing if they suit you... Some of them (like the Note and Soul have high rooflines but a rather poor boot, the space is all upwards and not along, the new 207 and Fabia (and Clio?) estates are very good as they are proper small estates whereas the Meriva and Roomster are similar with having higher rooflines but also have a decent boot and well thought out folding/removable rear seats.
Jazz or Berlingo? - perro
What you've got to do is - roadtest the critters, and by that I don't mean a quick around the block job, but for a few hours - live with the thing!
Toyota are more relliable than Citroen *in general* but there are plenty of French cars on the road and they can't all be unreliable - can they!
I think you may well like the Citroen :)
Jazz or Berlingo? - Bill Payer
I also have a childabout to go to college so suspect I may need a van!

I've done college runs a few times in our Jazz and you can get an amazing amount of stuff it. Be aware that, at least in the 2003 model we've got, the rear seats fold down and go partly under the front seats - that make a completely flat floor, but it does limit the amount the front seats slide back. It's *just* OK for me, at 6ft.

>>thick door pillars. I gather the Jazz has a similar problem?

It does on the older model, I think the new one is better. This is an issue to some extend on all cars these days, so it's more a matter of getting into the (good) habit of looking around A posts.

Touching a big piece of wood here, but in almost 6years (but only 40K miles) ours has had nothing but routine servicing. Not even a bulb has blown.
Jazz or Berlingo? - OldSock

Whilst it shouldn't really influence your decision, the Jazz does seem a bit more "Steradent-oriented" - but car buying is often not based on purely logical factors....
Jazz or Berlingo? - mlj
The new Multispace is certainly a step up in size from Mk 1. I have a MK 1 and have previously reported on my experiences: 33K in 27 months and no problems at all so far and no regrets. There is a smaller Citroen version arriving any day now, the Nemo Multispace. Could be worth a look.
Jazz or Berlingo? - citroen calling
I work for citroen so will declare an interest but thought I would just make a few points about the citroen products so you have some accurate information
firstly all our dealers offer the full scrappage deal of £2000 off .we and the network have agreed to this so i am very confident you will be offered the full scrappage allowance.
Reliabilty, our products have massively improved in reliability and really this is a thing of the past. Evidence the latest JD Power customer satisfaction report where citroen had the top two slots above all makes in the MPV section. Having said that the Jazz scored very highly as well.
You may also want to look at the new C3 Picasso (with scrappage £9265) which has been very highly rated by HJ (and is more of an equivalent rival to the Jazz anyway) .
Its brand new, has consistently beaten the Kia Soul in all major group tests in magazines (ref What Car,Top Gear, What Diesel magazine,Auto Express and Autocar) Its the best in class bar none!
The Berlingo Multispace is simply enormous with a massive cavernous boot, with scrappage price of an entry level model of £7995)
We have just launched its little brother the Nemo (which has equivalent models from Peugeot and Fiat (Quobo) .(Entry price with scrappage of £7995)
Would suggest you look at these models .The nice thing for you is that you have choice!!
Good luck

Well I had a drive in the base-range Berlingo yesterday, and quite liked it, but when I asked about the top of the range XTR the salesman said "I don't think we'll get any of those - we only sell what Citroen let us have".

I really don't quite understand what's going on here - they seem very reluctant to sell new cars - they claim they can sell cars with delivery mileage for less than a new car with scrappage deal - which may be true, but I am then getting a second-owner car, and not getting shut of my old car. I would have expected if a customer wanted to buy a top of the range model the dealer would have made a bit of effort to get one?

I've just been looking at the specs for the Qubo - I have a family member who can get staff discounts on Fiats, but I've always found them a bit tinny in the past.

Thanks for all your comments - its helpful to be able to work round the options.
Jazz or Berlingo? - Alanovich
Fiat quality is a whole nother level compared to their old days. I recently owned a Stilo Multiwagon and, whilst they have their detractors, you can't argue that they're tinny. Very solid motor, that. I'd say the last "tinny" Fiats were maybe the mark 1 Puntos, and even that's being a bit unfair.
Jazz or Berlingo? - Bill Payer
I really don't quite understand what's going on here - they seem very reluctant to
sell new cars -

Perhaps: Citroen recently terminated all of its dealerships, and then invited them to reapply for the franchise. In the process they're losing 40 dealerships.
tinyurl.com/lx6elc

Maybe the one you're dealing with isn't being renewed? We had a weird experience trying to buy a new Renault Clio a few years ago that all made perfect sense when the Renault signs had gone from the dealership a couple of weeks later.
I had a drive in the Jazz today, and was underwhelmed. I found I was having to peer round the door pillars to see anything coming from the front right. The "quarter light" is like peering through a porthole.

The ride was choppy, and it didn't cope as well as the Berlingo on speed humps, or indeed any rough bit of road.

There seemed to be a lot of gadgetry which, for me, didn't really compensate for the lack of boot space.

So I'm now trying to have a look at the Fiat Qubo
Jazz or Berlingo? - b308
You seem to be choosing cars at random, D... I still can't get my head around why you are looking at cars so diverse as a Jazz and a Berlingo, what exactly do you want?

Things like overall size, boot size, ride quality, etc
Jazz or Berlingo? - stan10
...... cars so diverse as a Jazz and a Berlingo, ...........

A few years ago i thought i was going to get a cash windfall and was going to treat myself to a new car.
My main criteria was that i could get my bicycle in the back without taking the front wheel off, in as small and economical a car as possible, so i ended up looking at the same two vehicles, attracted also by the reliability of the Honda, and the slightly "different" design (at the time) of both, not being "normal" estate type cars.
So i agree perhaps a diverse choice, but understandable to me (well it does take all sorts!)

Didn't make a final choice, because the windfall fell through ... bother! ... before i had test driven either.

My brother is currently thinking about a Fiat Qubo, (auto), he has had a few Fiats and likes them a lot, and (thanks to "citroen calling") he will be taking a look at the Nemo too.
I have a number of criteria - a bigger boot than the Polo, economic, low emissions, etc.

Curiously the lowest emitting Berlingo is the biggest engine - very strange.

I've been round several Fiat dealers and none of them have a Qubo.

The "bike in the back" is quite a good test - though these days I'd be thinking more of a wheelchair or invalid scooter, what with APs not getting any younger.
Jazz or Berlingo? - b308
Curiously the lowest emitting Berlingo is the biggest engine - very strange.

Simple, its a big car, the bigger engine isn't working as hard (and it may have other mods!)...
The "bike in the back" is quite a good test - though these days I'd
be thinking more of a wheelchair or invalid scooter what with APs not getting any
younger.

Right, thats more like it! If you want to have one of those in the back then the Berlingo is a good choice and you'll be able to take the luggage... if you have the Jazz thats all you'll be able to fit in there... when i got the Motability car we had to be able to fit either the scooter or a folding wheelchair and luggage, the Roomster was the smallest that would be able to do that, and that included the Jazz.
Jazz or Berlingo? - mlj
In my Multispace 1 I regularly carry two adult and one child size bikes in the boot with the double split fold rear folded. No need for front wheel removal. There is still plenty of room for paraphernalia. And the Mk 2 is even bigger.
Have a butchers at this one missus ~ www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=323
Bit out of your price range, but a good s/h one may do the job.
Bit too pricey that - but thanks for the thought.

I decided to go for the Berlingo, and as the local dealer wasn't willing to sell new cars I contacted a dealer in the next city. He offered to undercut the on-line price, and offered me the full £2000 scrappage on my old car. So I drove over there, and he checked out my car, the MOT certificate, the VED form, and the tax disk, and after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, and trying to sell me a cheaper model, and a more expensive one, he finally took a deposit from me, and said the car would be ready by Tuesday (yesterday).

When I'd heard nothing by yesterday afternoon I called and was told that they had not been able to locate one in the network, so had ordered one from the factory. As the scrappage rules say that you have to have two weeks on the MOT and a valid tax disk, and both of those run out at the end of July, I'm getting somewhat concerned. I've written to them and said that I need the deal concluding by the 14th July. If I have to MOT, repair (possibly) and tax my car its going to negate any savings I might make.
Jazz or Berlingo? - mlj
I don't know where you are, but I had a similar experience two yearsa ago. dealer 1 quoted 6-12 weeks as mine would be a special order. (I wanted aircon.) My local (Plymouth) dealer struck a deal in ten minutes, £1200 cheaper, and got the exact car in the exact spec and colour in eight days. Recommended to deal with.
When I got home last night there was a letter from Citroen telling me that my car was being made for me in their factory in Spain, and that I would be delighted by it.

I had visions of several thousand car workers loitering around, and dashing in to work as an order arrives from England.
If "Citroen calling" would like to contact me off-line, I've a few more questions to ask.

I'm now told my car is "scheduled for manufacture", but no-one seems able to tell me when that will be.

I've told my dealer that if I have to MOT, tax and insure my old vehicle again I would expect to renegotiate the deal.

Edited by danensis on 07/07/2009 at 16:40

What a palaver - I'd have got the twitch by now :(
The least they could do is fly ya'll out to Espana for a weeks vacation + a factory tour :)
If they send me the bits I'll screw it together myself.
The dealer has just phoned to say they can't possibly get me the Berlingo before the end of the month, and offering me my deposit back.

I asked him what the delivery time would be (thinking I might be able to fill in the gap with something else), and all he could say is that it was "scheduled for production". So I've cancelled the order, and will be looking for something else. So much for Citroen wanting to sell cars.
New Berlingo Multispace - danensis
Shortly after posting the above, I got a call back from the sales manager. "Why had I cancelled the order, what could they do to help". I explained that the only reason that they had gone for a factory order was that I wanted an alarm, and if they could get one sooner I would forgo the alarm. Needless to say I expected the appropriate adjustment in purchase price.

He phoned back later to say they had located a vehicle, and could get it before my MOT ran out, so I was delighted.

I went to pick it up today, and when I was presented with the paperwork to sign, noticed there was no reduction for the lack of alarm. I queried this, and the salesman dashed off to consult with his head honcho, as the one who had phoned me wasn't around. The next thing was this honcho told me outright that they wouldn't reduce the price, implied I was stupid to be asking for it, and should think myself lucky they were deigning to sell me a car at all.

So I said OK, give me back my keys (they'd already taken my old car for the scrappage deal), the deal's off, if you can't supply me with the car as specified. He then told me that if I did that he'd take me to court and sue me for the costs that they had incurred, and it would cost me £600. I told him that with that sort of attitude he was lucky he had any customers at all. He said that I couldn't have my old car back as they had already completed the documentation. I replied that if they were unlawfully detaining my vehicle I would have no option than to call the police. It was like a poker game, with him staring at me and daring me to blink.

Eventually he went off to make another phone call, and the salesman then came back to tell me I could have the car at the reduced price. I should blooming well think so.

When I've calmed down a bit I'll give my impressions of the vehicle.

Edited by danensis on 24/07/2009 at 22:12

New Berlingo Multispace - maz64
Needless to say I expected the appropriate adjustment in purchase price.

Sorry, can you just clarify - did you actually agree that with the sales manager?
New Berlingo Multispace - Citroënian {P}
You'd think picking up a new car would be a pleasurable experience, in fact buying the car should be fun.

Your story sounds horribly like the experience we had buying our C4 coupe; the dealers were rubbish throughout.

Hope you enjoy the car though, you can take it anywhere for post sales and warranty work.
New Berlingo Multispace - danensis
When I first phoned up I suspect the saleman I spoke to was from the used sales department, and was not used to dealing with new car sales. He told me he had the vehicle I wanted, otherwise I wouldn't have used that partcular dealership in the first place.

The salesman I dealt with when I went to collect the car was equally personable, it was just the sales manager who was so obnoxious. Perhaps that was why he was promoted?