04 2.0 EGR and Brake faults - gbroberti
Our 2.0 FSi petrol Altea is showing its engine management light, I attached a code reader and it reports three faults:

17887 Brake Boost Vacuum System: Mechanical Failure
17811 EGR System: Regulation Deviation
17808 EGR Valve Circuit - Electrical Malfunction A

After resetting the faults the 17887 fault comes back straight away but doesn?t light the engine management light, the other two follow after about 30 mins of driving with the engine management light.

The brakes are fine, the car hesitates slightly on the motorway but is mostly O.K, and it has just passed its MOT with the engine management light on.

Can anyone link the EGR and Brake boost faults, I am concerned that the EGR faults may be a red herring and replacing it may be a costly mistake.

Is it worth cleaning a petrol EGR, do they get gummed up like the diesel EGRs I've read about on this forum?

Many thanks in advance.
04 2.0 EGR and Brake faults - elekie&a/c doctor
The Fsi engines fitted to these have an additional vacuum brake booster pump (known as a tandem pump)driven by the camshaft (gearbox end).Low vacuum readings can cause egr faults/deviation problems.These pumps are a known problem area.hth
Thanks for your reply,
So the brakes are powered by more than a vacuum on the servo then. Should I be concentrating on fixing the vacuum fault then and hope that the EGR faults clear?
Here?s an update if anyone else has the same problem -

Now fixed by replacing the EGR valve.

The old one had stripped the teeth on its plastic control gear. See here for pictures

tinyurl.com/m2csu8

tinyurl.com/mbba2e

In theory the part could be fixed by turning the stripped gear a few degrees as it doesn?t use the whole circumference of the gear.

It?s frustrating to replace a 180 pound part for a gear that would cost pence.
04 2.0 EGR and Brake faults - Altea Ego
"In theory the part could be fixed by turning the stripped gear a few degrees as it doesn?t use the whole circumference of the gear.

It?s frustrating to replace a 180 pound part for a gear that would cost pence."

Not really. You would have to diagnose and fix why the teeth stripped. If it was all working as it should it wouldnt have happened.