96 1.8D Cam Belt Replacement - pullgees
Just had the cambelt changed. The garage owner told me he had to advanced the pump timing because the engine kept cutting out. The engine was running fine before. I am wondering if he put the belt on wrong and compensated by adjusting the pump timing. I hope I'm wrong but the engine sounds a bit harsher although I could be imagining that as I'm listening out for problems.
96 1.8D Cam Belt Replacement - loadsofpugs
Some people try to cheat when doing these by not undoing the cam wheel bolts on the the cam & diesel pump, they think if was right with the old belt then it should be ok with the new one but not, why do they have this? well its there to make sure the cam & pump timing correct, have sorted out loads of these from other garages.Take it and tell them to do it the right way.Sorry but too many cowboys not doing there job right.
It could be that the previous belt change was done wrong and this garage corrected the timing. I'll just have to see how it goes for a bit checking the fuel consumption.
96 1.8D Cam Belt Replacement - loadsofpugs
Okay but it should not be harsh at all.
I went back to the garage and mentioned the harshness and was told that was because the belt is new and it will go away when the belt stretches a bit.
I must say though it starts easier from cold. Before I was having to give it two goes on the heater plugs for it to start in a reasonable time, now it starts almost immediately after one go on the heater plugs.