Good or bad, any known problems ? - cuthbert
I am about to change my vehicle to a new diesel automatic with a raised driving position for ease of access and I am considering a Diesel 180 SE B- Class !! what are your opinions on this vehicle and any known problems

{Typo in header amended}

Edited by Pugugly on 16/06/2009 at 18:34

Good or bad - any known probleems ? - 659FBE
One of my customers has one of these (a diesel) and I was astonished at the noise level when he drove into my yard. As I know him well, I asked if there was a hole in the exhaust.

I would imagine as an automatic, it would be one of the the most tiringly noisy vehicles it's possible to own in its class. Horrible.

Good or bad - any known probleems ? - bell boy
interesting point that
i was sat having a pint ;ast sunday and a jaguar diesel pulled in and it sounded like the crank was making a bid for freedom
a lot of newer diesels are very noisy now
i hate the nissian nirvana noise under acceleration
Good or bad - any known problems ? - Avant
Absolutely vital that you take it for a long test drive. Mine was too short and I thought I could live with the noise, and I couldn't.

The combination of 4 cylinders + diesel + automatic (mine was a B200 CDI) can make for an infuriating drone, and the Mercedes diesel is a particularly loud one, reminiscent of a London taxi. I remember our contributor Daveyjp saying that his Audi A3 TDi with DSG was perfectly tolerable.

Mine also had a boneshakingly low 700 rpm idle speed, which the dealer said was set at the factory and not adjustable. It also had clap-hands windscreen wipers set for LHD with the driver's wiper shorter than the passenger's, and leaving a wider unwiped gap next to the driver's A-pillar.

Good points - it was comfortable (for me - some passengers found it difficult to get in and out of, with its raised floor), roomy and reliable, and the dealer (Greenoaks of Reading) was excellent.

I'm not sure how many other MPVs are available with diesel and automatic but you should try some if you can.

Edited by Avant on 15/06/2009 at 01:04

Good or bad - any known problems ? - RickyBoy
I delivered a B-Class once to the wife of a corporate customer. They'd chosen the vehicle from the brochure alone, not even sat inside one.

Consequently, once inside it the lady in question (diminutive to say the least) found that even with the seat at it's lowest setting she still couldn't easily reach the pedals!

I, naturally enough at that point, said, "oh dear" and beat a hasty retreat to the nearest tube station whilst wishing her all the best.

Begs the question... why on earth would anybody purchase a motor on the brochure looks alone?
Good or bad - any known problems ? - gmac
You will certainly get the raised driving position and ease of access with this car however, as already mentioned above, the diesel engine(s) fitted could never be described as refined.

I also had problems getting comfortable in the drivers seat due to the floor layout and lack of a footwell. Always felt like my feet were too high, couldn't get the seat in the right position for thigh support.
Good or bad - any known problems ? - mustangman
Hired a diesel auto one of these in Germany last year. I would echo the others comments on the engine, its rough, noisey & has periods of horrible boomy resonance at certain revs. The auto is a CVT one which does the car no favours either.
This car is also expensive for what it is.
IMHO a Golf tdi / dsg is a far superior choice.

Try before you buy.

Edited by mustangman on 15/06/2009 at 10:22

Good or bad - any known problems ? - boxsterboy
Two of my sis-in-laws have B200CDI Autos. I drove one and found the CVT box horrible. She also had something quite major fail at a low mileage (spring or shock absorber IIRC).

There must be better cars out there for the money. I would look at a C-Max, Picasso or the like.
Good or bad - any known problems ? - cuthbert
Many Thanks for your replies

As someone has mentioned there is a limited number of automatic diesels available and to find dealers with an Automatic on there test drive fleet is rare.
I have looked at the new golf plus with the DSG gearbox( which is a very good box) but was a bit disappointed with interior .

I am trying a Ford S- max out shortly which is said to be very good !!.Toyota have a Verso 2-2 diesel automatic coming out later this year Mazda and Honda do not do automatic Diesels in a MPV size vehicle has anyone else got a suggestion

The Citroen Picasso which i would consider I am put off by there automatic gearboxes as one box is thirsty and the other is said to be jerky
Good or bad - any known problems ? - gmac
The Citroen Picasso which i would consider I am put off by there automatic gearboxes
as one box is thirsty and the other is said to be jerky

Try the EGS with the 1.6 diesel engine, it is smoother with the lower torque output over the 2.0 diesel. Quiet engine inside the car but still rattles like a tractor from outside, I think this is just a natural occurrence with four cylinder diesels.
Easy to get comfortable in just don't expect good handling.
Engine braking non-existant need to use the paddles to achieve this.
Good or bad - any known problems ? - Alanovich
IMHO a Golf tdi / dsg is a far superior choice.

For a raised driving position, it's sister car the Seat Altea or Toledo may be a better choice. Perhaps a Golf Plus? I currently have a similar VW Touran 2.0TDi with the DSG auto gearbox, and it's a very refined and quiet car considering what it is.

But for the original poster's brief, I recommend he tries an Altea.
Good or bad - any known problems ? - Altea Ego
Concur, Altea/Altea XL/Golf Plus with DSG
Good or bad - any known problems ? - DP
My neighbour is very happy with his B150 Avantgarde. 56 plate, bought about 9 mths ago. No problems with it at all.

Mind you, it does piffling mileage and has a very easy life (hence buying the 150 petrol version)
Good or bad - any known problems ? - movilogo
Not sure at what price you're getting the B class. But Direct Mercedes is selling loads of C class (~2007) , both petrol & diesel autos, around ~£14k screen price. Although its height is not that much, but from the seat you can see whole bonnet, which I personally find much easier for parking.

I would be using a car broker unless a local dealer matches a price ??
I tend to find nearly new car can be as expensive as a new one when purchased through a broker .

To be honest I not a fan of premium badge motors but it was just a fact Mercedes are known for there auto boxes

Thanks for all your suggestions

Edited by cuthbert on 15/06/2009 at 20:51

Good or bad - any known problems ? - boxsterboy
>>To be honest I not a fan of premium badge motors but it was just
a fact Mercedes are known for there auto boxes

Yes, Mercedes are usually best with an Auto box. The B class is the exception that proves the rule!
Good or bad - any known problems ? - Bagpuss
Have driven several B Class, petrol and diesel.

Miles better to drive than an A-Class with comfortable seats, loads of space and excellent handling and high speed stability for a top heavy car. The interior is nicely finished and similar to the C-Class. The diesels spoil the picture. They are depressingly noisy irrelevant whether coupled to an automatic or manual gearbox. The petrol engines are much quieter and considerably more refined, though obviously thirstier. I would consider one, but not a diesel. Second favourite for me in the "top heavy car" class is the Golf Plus.
Yes I have considered the Golf Plus and was waiting for the revamped model to come out but was really underwhelmed by the interior on it although the DSG gearbox does have it attractions.
Just an update to say that I tried out the Ford S -Max 140 diesel auto today and must say i was very impressed with it !! good ride ,very responsive and looked very well screwed together and there are some attractive deals on them at the moment!!
The test car had done 12,000 miles and had no rattles I think it has got to be in the running but was surprised on how big it was as it does not look that big from the outside
Good or bad - any known problems ? - Avant
If the S-Max is bigger than you need there's always the C-Max, which is about the size of a B-class.

I'd echo the comment above about the petrol B-class: if I did a lower annual mileage I'd have had one and probably liked it a lot better. As HJ implies, it does look a bit porky compared with the A-class, but in fairness the extra bulk has been used well for passengers and luggage.
Yes I would consider the C - Max but it is due to be replaced next year 2010 so with one eye on future residual values did not want to buy a car that was being replaced shortly but thanks for your reply
Good or bad, any known problems ? - tobyjug
I have had a B 180 diesel auto for almost 3 years without any problems, on a run I get just over 55mpg.
Ease of entry is important to me, this is good. A bit noisy on start up but it cant be heard inside whilst driving.
MB dealer a bit greedy though, £10 requested for two remote key fob batteries (a few days after a £250 service)
Before the B I had an A Class again no problems.

Being replaced next week by a VW Tiguan with similar spec. Again for ease of entry only, I hope I get the same service from this car.