New car just bought slight problem. - sooty123
I've just put a deposit on a car, but I didn't check when the cam belt needed doing. It needs doing now (age rather than miles). As part of the deal they said they would do a service, but the belt change is pricey £500. What are the chances of them doing it is part of the schecduled servicing, however I don't know to ask and the salesman didn't ask. Is it reasonable to expect them to do it?
New car just bought slight problem. - rtj70
Forget odds and whether they should or not. They may or may not. Ask them.
New car just bought slight problem. - bell boy
if i may put the foot on the other shoe
would you after a handshake of a deal done?
New car just bought slight problem. - andyp
What car is it ? Although the manufacturers specify a change interval for a timing belt based on age/mileage, its not actually part of the service schedule, it's an extra.

Edited by andyp on 14/06/2009 at 22:25

Yes, I was planning on asking them in the morning, but it just had me thinking while I was on t'interweb. Right, I thought it was part of the service schedule.
New car just bought slight problem. - 1400ted
Unless a non-standard car, this seems somewhat high priced.
Had 3 cars done this year, My Suzi diesel, Son's Astra 1600 and SIL's Megane 16 valve.
All £200 with a full tensioner kit included......local honest independent.
Worth a trip to Manchester ?

Ted.
New car just bought slight problem. - kitemark flyer
If car is from a dealer they should sell you a vehicle in roadworthy condition unless it is sold as seen. If the cam belt should be done as specified by the manufacturer (look on their website to check) then surely this would done to ensure it is roadworthy?
New car just bought slight problem. - martint123
Since when does a overdue cambelt change make a vehicle unroadworthy?
If it does, why is it not part of the MOT?
New car just bought slight problem. - jbif
unless it is sold as seen >>

Not so according to:

195.10.244.9/forum/post/index.htm?t=68914&m=787168...e
tinyurl.com/6kvcyt
" No car trader can ever sell a car using the phrase sold as seen. "

www.hants.gov.uk/regulatory/images/motrad.pdf
" .. Can I limit my liability to a customer?
Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) a customer may be entitled to a refund or a free repair if the motor vehicle is faulty, not of satisfactory quality or not fit for its purpose. A customer may also be entitled to a refund or compensation if the vehicle is not as described or where the seller had no legal right to sell it. These rights cannot be taken away and any attempt by a trader to limit his liability under the Act by reference to an exclusion clause or similar statement will be void and therefore unenforceable. Furthermore, under the Consumer Transactions (Restrictions on Statements) Order 1976 it is a criminal offence to use such a statement. For example statements such as:?No Warranty Given or Implied??Sold as Seen??Sold for Spares or Repair?(This may be used only in limited circumstances and not for the sale of vehicles intended for use on the road)are all void and therefore illegal.

Can I modify the statement to make it correct?
All statements and signs describing consumer transactions must not restrict the rights consumers have under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, or imply their rights are restricted.It is a common misconception that restrictive statements, such as those described in the examples, can be displayed if they are accompanied by wording such as ?Your statutory rights remain unaffected?. This is not the case as such statements remain illegal. ... "
New car just bought slight problem. - David Horn
Easy solution.

Ask to see the service book for the car. If it does indeed need the cambelt doing at the next service, the book will show this. You simply request that the car is serviced in accordance with the book, and you'd like the old cambelt for evidence.
New car just bought slight problem. - Altea Ego
Easy solution.
Ask to see the service book for the car. If it does indeed need the
cambelt doing at the next service the book will show this. You simply request that
the car is serviced in accordance with the book and you'd like the old cambelt
for evidence.

No because the cam belt IS NOT part of the service schedule. If it was it would not be listed seperately. If you take your car in for a 60k miles service no garage automatically does the cam belt and wacks you with an extra 250 quid charge. It is recomended.

New car just bought slight problem. - stunorthants26
Total rubbish. When I worked in a Rover service department, every 5 year service included a cambelt change as it was part of the 5 year/60k service. As it happened, some twit who declined the cambelt change had a hissy fit when his belt duly broke.
We always explained why the cost was as high as it was for this particular service and what the point of changing the belt was, its good practice to inform the poorly informed majority.

No customer has to have their car serviced, its not a legal requirement, its is simply a recommended course of action for anyone with a functioning brain, the cambelt is not exclusive in this respect.
New car just bought slight problem. - Lud
Why won't the OP identify the car? Then at least someone would know whether £500 was a rip-off price for a cambelt change. Sounds a bit steep unless it's a Lancia Gamma or something.
New car just bought slight problem. - Altea Ego
Total rubbish. When I worked in a Rover service department every 5 year service included
a cambelt change as it was part of the 5 year/60k service.

Not total rubbish.
New car just bought slight problem. - MacGuyver
If I were you; Check with a franchised service dept. when the cambelt change is required.
Call in at said dealer (much better than phoning, some sales people will say anything to get you off the phone), and be proactive ie. "You're going to change the cambelt with that service we agreed on, right ? 'cause it's due you know." Keep pushing and if all else fails offer to pay something towards the cost. When you collect your car, make sure the appropriate page in the service book is stamped and ask for a copy of the internal invoice to show it's been done.
It is 2.5 V6 in a 75, and seems there are several belts and is generally a pain to do. Spoke to the garage the service manager said that it was ok until 90k. Although everyone else, such as owners say it must be done which ever comes first, 6 years in this case. He was fairly adement about it, as I suppose he would be due to the cost.

Edited by sooty123 on 18/06/2009 at 19:40

New car just bought slight problem. - R75
Don't touch it without the cam belts being done, unless they give you a good discount so you can get them done elsewhere!!! Look over on www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php for advice and general cost of the belt change. As you said it is not cheap!!!!!!

Either that or get written guarantee from dealer saying they will cover any costs if cam belts go before 90k!!! £20 says they wont give it.
New car just bought slight problem. - barney100
The cambelt change time should be investigated before you part with readies and if anywhere near due its a good time to do a deal with the dealer on it. same with with brake discs...I have them and the pads checked before buying.
Yeah I had a look around that forum seems quite good. It was my fault for not asking about it until after the deposit had been handed over. Kicking myself a bit, normally I have a really good look around the internet finding out about the cars I'm about to buy. Think I just got I just got caught with the haggling and had a bit on at home, it never crossed my mind until after.

Edited by sooty123 on 18/06/2009 at 20:01

New car just bought slight problem. - MacGuyver
Been there. 20/20 hindsight would be great. If dealer won't budge, you'll struggle to force them. As others have mentioned, cam belt changes are not usually part of the scheduled service, probably something to do with keeping the 'menu' prices on the board behind the service desk low. Playing devils' advocate, at this end of the market, the dealer's margins might be quite low, and an un-agreed for service item might make too much of a dent.