Waxoyling - sprayer problems - J Bonington Jagworth
A friend of mine with an old CX (too old for HJ's list!) is trying to keep the tinworm at bay and has plentiful supplies of waxoyl, but always complains that the supplied sprayer doesn't squirt hard enough to get it any distance into box sections, or atomise enough to get good coverage. I think he's tried thinning it with white spirit (I suggested heating it up, too) but he would really like something that applies a bit of pressure.

Any ideas? I'm sure someone here will have adapted a tyre inflator or something... :-)

Edited by Pugugly on 12/06/2009 at 23:45

Waxoyling - bell boy
if he has a underseal type gun connected to a compressor it will squirt anywhere once warmed up in a bucket of water
Waxoyling - martint123
as BB says, one of these will get it absolutely everywhere - especially if you have the pressure up too high and kink the flexi pipe and waxoil shoots out of the vent hole!!!

I drop the waxoil cans into a bucket of boiling water for 10 minutes before spraying.
It seems less and less places sell the smaller cans that fit these Shultz guns and it gets quite messy decanting into one from from a 5 litre can.

tinyurl.com/waxoil

I think it's nice how you can name your own tiny URLs!!

Edited by martint123 on 12/06/2009 at 23:44

Waxoyling - bell boy
Shultz guns
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>i couldnt for the life of me remember the name of them
Waxoyling - Manatee
Close - Schutz, not Shultz. Good call though - i have the waxoyl problem as well, I'll have t get one.

Edited by Manatee on 13/06/2009 at 00:23

Waxoyling - J Bonington Jagworth
"I think it's nice how you can name your own tiny URLs!!"

I didn't know you could! Thanks for both pieces of information...
Waxoyling - jc2
Dilute the Waxoyl with white spirit and use a paraffin gun.
Waxoyling - ifithelps
We used to use quart tins of underseal with a spray gun linked to the garage compressor.

If the nozzle clogged, pressure built up in the tin with predictably explosive and predictably messy results.

Waxoyling - bell boy
If the nozzle clogged pressure built up in the tin with predictably explosive and predictably
messy results.
er once covered half a dozen cars in stick gue,wouldnt mind they werent mine either
Waxoyling - madf
As mentioned above, I stick the tin in hot water if it's cold, or leave in the sun till warm. I also add about 10% white spirit... makes it nice and runny...

(not good for external application on a hot day).
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve a garage air line? I think my man wants to do it in his drive.
Waxoyling - gordonbennet
I've done the dirty deed, and it is the most horrible job, using the original sprayer and quite successfully too.

I didn't thin the waxoil but did keep heating the stuff in a huge pan of boiling water.

The best time to do it is on a very warm day, otherwise the stuff congeales in the pipes and you spend half the day heating the pipe up to get going again.

I've now got a small compressor to make life easier, handy for changing tyres too.
GB - I take it your 'small compressor' is a proper floor-standing affair with a tank, rather than a rattly 12V thing that takes 3 days to inflate a tyre...
Waxoyling - gordonbennet
tank rather than a rattly 12V thing that takes 3 days to inflate a tyre...

Yes, i don't think you could blow out the jets on a Weber carb with one of those toys.

Electric powered compressor, tank measures about 20" long by 10" dia, max safe pressure about 120psi.
No use for a commercial set up, but light enough to rest on a substantial shelf, and does the job. for a home user.
Waxoyling - Old Navy
Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve a garage air line? I think my
man wants to do it in his drive.

>>
A tool hire outfit would rent a small compressor out for a day.

Sorry didnt read the most recent post.

Edited by Old Navy on 13/06/2009 at 18:20

Good point, ON - hadn't thought of that. Durr...
Waxoyling - TurboD
use Supertrol, does not need 'heating' and is twice as good, probably even more.
Supertrol is also sold as Dinitrol, I believe. I've also read good things about Dynax (link below) which comes in large aerosols with an extension, which may be the answer for home application.

www.bilthamber.com/dynaxs50.html

It must be the 'advanced metal seeking anti-corrosion molecules' that make the difference.. :-)
Waxoyling - sierraman
Isn't the original Waxoyl sprayhead a tube with a nail blocking the end and four holes punched in it?I remember seeing a test of this and it missed patches of metal whilst dousing other areas in too much.How about a pump up sprayer?These are quite cheap now and could be stood in a container of hot water.