Bits & Pieces - John Davis
What a splendid site this is ? Just in the space of about a week I have learned much about the on/off love affair which most of us have with Citroens,
the complexities of suspensions, diesel power bands, the best ways to buy our cars and, explained with admirable clarity, the ramifications for us all if we take on the Euro. Keep up the excellent contributions.
Just my comment on the thread about electrocuting car thieves. Sadly, our legislators continue that irritating and baffling bias towards the rights of the wrong-doers in society, at the expense of the majority who are law abiding.
Take the case (true) of the owner of a small garage, who was successfully sued by a burglar, who fell into an uncovered service pit during his unlawful visit to the workshop in the middle of the night. Supported by some Health & Safety legislation (neccessary, of course, for the law abiding citizen) and, probably, urged on by some "sue at all cost" solicitor, the wrongdoer was able to obtain compensation for his injuries. While this kind of stupidity continues, what hope is there for the majority who try to abide by the law ?
Re: Bits & Pieces - Gwyn Parry
John,
Agree with you. What you left out is a government that has broken the law on a huge scale since the start of the F&D crisis. Worth having a look at "Down on the Farm" in this week's Private Eye. And this is a regime that has prided itself on "Tough on Crime" etc etc.
Re: Donkey - Gwyn Parry
Celeb's feelings are more important in this country than injuries sustained as a result of crime................
Re: Donkey - Gwyn Parry
Richard, the voice of reason...... (no sarcasm or irony intended)
Re: Donkey - Guy Lacey
The Law is an Ass.
Re: Donkey - Brian
The thing that really bugs me is the ridiculous sums handed out in damages for libel, compared to the miniscule sums for death or serious injury.
I believe that it is also true that 60% of the fines handed out by courts for minor offences are never paid!
Re: Donkey - Andrew Hamilton
If habitual criminals do not respect societies laws then why should society allow them civil rights. A cost effective penalty instead of prison would be to send them to uninhabited islands in Scotland in winter.
Re: Donkey - Tom Shaw
Anyone who steals or damages property should be charged for the full cost of the loss to the owner, no matter how long it takes to recover the money. If they are not in work, they should be put on community service till the value of the work is enough to pay for their crime. If they won't do that, lock them up and throw away the key.
Re: Donkey - richard turpin
Every victim of crime feels the same. It hardly matters what the crime is. Burglary, or theft of a car radio. Boil the criminal in a vat for a bit, then cut off his limbs with a rusty hacksaw blade.
I am now law abiding exept for speeding when it's safe to do so, just like the vast majority. When I was 18, I shared a flat with friends. Someone would say "anyone want to go syphoning?" (petrol) There was always a queue of youngsters wanting to join in just for the fun of it. All these people have now grown up and are law abiding. Harsh sentencing does not work. People were transported to Australia (and many died on the way like the slaves who were talen to work in far off lands) for sheep stealing but they still did it.
I think we should all try to remember what we did wrong when we were young. Hands up who has an ashtray in their house clearly marked "property of British Rail" or similar. Handling stolen goods is a crime.
Luckily Judges are not as stupid as the press makes out. When you suffer a crime, be angry for a while, then thank God it was not your son/daughter who was the criminal. It could happen.