What?s Better For Taxiing - Diesel Or Petrol? - bigmennie
Hi I was wanting to know what people think is better for being a taxi - diesel or petrol? I am asking this as most people would go for diesel as they are more economical. Yes they are but cost a lot more to fix and more to go wrong, i.e. turbo, injectors etc.

I would prefer a diesel but a solid one that isn?t known for those things. I am thinking of an Accord CTDi but I know they can have problems but what car does not. So if someone could enlighten me that would be great.

Edited to add capitals, punctuation, etc. and amend the thread title to not be all capitals. Rob

Edited by rtj70 on 10/06/2009 at 21:07

What?s Better For Taxiing - Diesel Or Petrol? - daveyjp
The last petrol taxi I went in was a Toyota Camry in Dubai!

The last time in the UK was probably a Lada in Cardiff during the late 1980s. Back then this was the car of choice by Cardiff cabbies, there was outrage when they were told they didn't give a good image and all had to go!

Our local taxis are almost all Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDis, many have done over 150,000 miles.
What?s Better For Taxiing - Diesel Or Petrol? - 659FBE
The VAG PD diesel engine is the only one I'd remotely consider for long term use.

CR engines with the HP pumps running in fuel are not generally good long term prospects. As with the smoker living to 100, there are good ones but they are just too "accident prone" to consider for use as a revenue earner. A single failure wipes out all of the diesel profit.

You would need to be quick - PD production has stopped - all remaing builds are from stock.

hi so is the honda diesal any good or not as thats the one i would like to buy can someone help thanks.
What?s Better For Taxiing - Diesel Or Petrol? - rtj70
Honda do not make "diesal" cars. So I'd get the petrol.

If you could spell and add punctuation more people might read your posts ;-)

Edited by rtj70 on 12/06/2009 at 02:06

Hi Honda do make diesel cars, they use CTDi's. I want to know if the one's in the Accord are any good for use as a taxi.

Thanks

Edited by rtj70 on 12/06/2009 at 18:38

I joked they didn't make a diesal model as you had originally spelt it.

Edited by rtj70 on 12/06/2009 at 19:26

On a more serious note, the local taxi companies do not have a Honda Accord diesel (or petrol). Possibly due to high residuals rather than anything else.

Some of the more popular choices for taxis would include a Toyota Avensis or a Skoda Octavia (both previous models typically). Some VW Passats too. Our local taxis would suggest this. An Avensis taxi in fact is more common than anything - either in silver and gold.

Edited by rtj70 on 12/06/2009 at 18:39

What?s Better For Taxiing - Diesel Or Petrol? - daveyjp
As I thought when I test drove one the new Skoda Superb is becoming a taxi driver's favourite. I've seen 4 in the last week.
What?s Better For Taxiing - Diesel Or Petrol? - ifithelps
Skoda dealers have been targeting taxi drivers with special deals.
Hi but i want to be different and buy a honda, i dont want a car that every other taxi driver has, thats why i want to know if the diesel engine in the honda is any good.
I think the fact there are few Honda Accord diesel taxis says something. It could be too few available as cars and therefore residuals make them expensive. Or some other reason.

Some members on this forum have had diesel Accords and had poor MPG. A lot less than Honda claim. But some get close. This could be another reason for not using them for taxis - high fuel costs.

If you want to risk buying a Honda then best of luck and it will possibly be okay. But all the other taxi drivers must know something and go for the Skoda Octavia and Toyota Avensis. Around there you don't see many nearly new Fords, VWs, Vauxhalls, etc. as taxis. You obviously see lots of older Japanese built cars which are often petrol as well though.

Edited by rtj70 on 13/06/2009 at 16:27

What?s Better For Taxiing - Diesel Or Petrol? - Tron
Either and then get it converted to run on LPG.

LPG in most areas is over half the price per litre cheaper as compared to diesel or petrol.